Another one of my brilliant ideas

fasteddie

I don't like to use a light when going to my treestands in the dark . I usually try to be in a stand about an hour before sunrise so I can just relax and get my heart rate down to normal . I have at least 3 stands that are hard to find in the dark . I have been considering putting one of those Dollar Store Solar Lights in those stands . Has anyone ever done this ? 

Several years ago I bought a couple of locator lights designed to assist finding a stand in the dark . It consists of a Red Light that gets lit when you press a button on a remote . It only stays lit as long as you hold the button down . They were a waste of money and I tossed them out . 

I was bored and the Red Sox lost so I thought I would throw this idea at you . :rolleyes:

• Like 5

wow thats thinking out da box!  lol.  I use a little clip on light that goes on my hat if needed.  Got so I dont go in the dark anymore.  Go with just enough light to see.  Bumping too many deer in the dark.  Like to be able to see- i hunt near a lot of fields and if deer are in the field I go around a different way.  Tired of getting blown at in the dark walking in!  

• Like 1

I have a head lamp great if hands are full I use the green. But mostly the small leds that fit in your hand.. I Cup the lens and hold it at my side ,low. Just enough light to see around my feet. Though mostly no light. This year there will be lights too many skunk around. Walking up to one in the dark,not fun....

But his thing is being able to find his stand with out scanning a light around. 

7 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

I have a head lamp. It's white led for blood tracking and gas a red led for getting into the stand.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Lowes has these on reduced price for $10 and change.  Main light i believe is 215 lumens (adjustable beam) and the red is a low fixed power but plenty enough to see out in the dark.  I'll try to post some pics tonight.

I have a head lamp on a strap that I hold in my hand so it's low to the ground. It's pretty dim for a headlamp and I keep it pointed down in front of my feet as much as possible, just enough to see the trail.  I agree that the solar light would be too dim by morning and it the stand is in the woods it may not get enough sun to power it anyways. Happy Birthday bud!

• Like 1

I have 2 different head lamps that have white and red depending on what I want to use . I also have a cap with a white or green light . I prefer "not" to use any light . I can find all but 3 stands in the dark and I want to be able to find them without using a light . I am going to give my idea a try this season . 

• Like 1

I have 2 different head lamps that have white and red depending on what I want to use . I also have a cap with a white or green light . I prefer "not" to use any light . I can find all but 3 stands in the dark and I want to be able to find them without using a light . I am going to give my idea a try this season . 
I can find every one of my spots in the dark. Problem is if you don't have a cleared path then it's hard to get there stealthily. On a calm cold early morning sound in the timber carries. When I use my new brighter head lamp it'll have some black electrical tape on it to cover it up enough to give only enough to see. Not trying to change your mind. I've just tried the no light thing and it didn't work for me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm with you I hate using a flashlight while heading in the woods.

Don't have much help on finding the stands but if you don't wear glasses I highly recommend wearing safety glasses on your way in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always use a headlamp with the white light walking in, I hunt state land so a lot of that is so I don't get shot by some jackwagon that hears me walking, once I'm at the tree I switch it to red light most times for getting my climber ready and going up. I've bumped into a lot of deer walking in and the white light doesn't make a bit of difference, they just stand there and let you walk by. It's funny that people think because they don't use a light that the deer can't see you, deer are quite capable of seeing at night. If they were so afraid of lights they wouldn't be getting ran over in the road everyday!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I always use a headlamp with the white light walking in, I hunt state land so a lot of that is so I don't get shot by some jackwagon that hears me walking, once I'm at the tree I switch it to red light most times for getting my climber ready and going up. I've bumped into a lot of deer walking in and the white light doesn't make a bit of difference, they just stand there and let you walk by. It's funny that people think because they don't use a light that the deer can't see you, deer are quite capable of seeing at night. If they were so afraid of lights they wouldn't be getting ran over in the road everyday!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

If you aren't using terrain to cover your movement than it doesn't matter if you use a light or not. If you are properly using terrain to cover your movement than having a light on absolutely without a question scares more deer than going in silent.

As for your car analogy if you walked the same woods everyday a couple hundred times a day I'm sure deer would be less likely to be frightened, but I'm sure you don't do this so the analogy doesn't work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have thought a lot about lights and there effect ..I actually think it's more of lighting up your figure...which is what we end up doing trying to see our trail and feet, then having a light beam going straight out in front of you and not moving it around scanning... I say this because lights in the woods are kinda like sound..it travels funny...I have seen car lights across the valley...I mean miles away and actually in the nearest town 9 miles away and thought they were in my woods...We have a person with a horse barn over a half mile away and that barn light shines just right, I swear it looks like it lights up my woods...So deer are use to seeing white and red(tail lights) shining in their woods...but not the figures it may surround nor a lot of bouncing around..if it's held high to see a distance in front of you your figure is less likely to stick out.

• Like 1

BTW this theory is easy to test...send a family member out  a ways in the yard when it's very dark...have them turn off the light and move one side  or the other from where you last spotted them.

Then turn the light on looking up and at a distance from them to see where they are going.  Then tell them to look down at the ground as they walk...that way you can basically see what the deer do.

• 4 weeks later...

I mitigate this by hating waking up early. I always get there as the light is starting to come up. I know I shouldn't and I should be in the stand, but I always have a long enough drive that waking up at 5:00 AM on a saturday is quite early enough as it is!