Love these Dunstans...

I have mine right out in the plots...I also have them planted with Chinese chestnuts nearby...I have had the Chinese for YEARS...but neglected to really cage them and between the deer and the harsh winters they never took off...WELL when I started planting the Dunstan I went out and found the Chinese and caged everything. WOW what a difference! The Chinese are now all taller than me and I expect they will be producing next season. Man the deer love browsing these trees with out nuts! They do need protection and high protection at that...they have climbed the cages to break off tops and limbs

Edited by growalot

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 3:36 PM, growalot said:

I am really pleased with these chestnut trees...here is one of two that are on their first production after 3yrs in the ground...I think that's a pretty good turn around...

IMG_2038.JPG

IMG_2037.JPG

Grow, how large did you buy the trees? Any insight into these trees, no oak by me and I wonder if this type of tree with have trouble surviving. What type of soil do you have?

On 9/25/2017 at 5:28 PM, Fantail said:

I am having trouble keeping the weight of tug hill snow from breaking branches on mine. Yet the smaller apple trees are fine. 

Thought of making some covers out of pallets, something like these

Shrub%20covers%20002.JPG

Take 2 pallets like you see there lash at the top on both ends and you should be fine.