Am I too late...

....to prepare and plant a small plot for late season deer in Columbia county.

I tested the soil and have the results (phosphorus potassium calcium and magnesium are all in the medium range)

Am I too late for winter greens and radish if I get it in this weekend?

I know I am late but sending a Hail Mary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first time I did my plots on my land I planted brassicas around this time in September.  All I did was clear  the ground of grass because I did not have any tillage equipment.  No lime of fertilizer.  I also planted them that early because I did not know any better.

Those brassicas grew well on bare ground like that.  They did not get very tall but they still hammered them.  If they had some fertilizer on them they would have been bigger.  And they probably would have germinated faster if I had tilled the ground.  They germinate pretty good here if they are just on bare un-tilled ground.  But it takes a few days longer.

If you can tear it up, hammer it with some triple 15 @300lbs. per acre then they just might surprise you.  Nothing wrong with trying it.

But winter rye would be a better choice this late.  But if you are dead set on brassicas then go for it.

So here's what I ended up doing as a Hail Mary.
Winter Rye mixed with a Biological winter beets mix.
Long day-chopped and removed all the standing grass and weeds...tilled the soil with and threw some 19-19-19 fertilizer and the seed. Of course no rain predicted until NEVER!
796b3c9d84cbad58b356426216124594.jpg
662610a39e618ab8d272fe68588e911b.jpg
5238f42a9d9e199153e01b7589c2a155.jpg
Views from my tree stand

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Some pictures from Yesterday (2 weeks after I tilled, fertilized and seeded)
From the stand:
81fb2f7bff46614d7f118826edf2080c.jpg

Close up of growth:
50a9a6140f3642e76da128234e50d7d0.jpg

I'm pretty happy with this "Hail mary" so far- I wish the "far" field was a bit thicker but the sun is not there as much believe it or not. Also that side has more tracks and some scratching going on

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So I sat over the plot on opening morning and didn’t have anybody show up- probably a better evening spot. Clearly it’s being hit hard- I hope the pic posts because it shows a clear run through the field closets to my ladder. I still think it’s too early for this spot. If we get some snow and cold, this place will heat up quick.