do you use lighted nocks?

Robhuntandfish

started using lighted nocks last year and just love them .  Use the nockturnals and they only light up when you shoot.  Can really tell shot placement better after the shot.  They add a bit of $ to an arrow but well worth it I think.  Plus these eyes aint what they used to be and need a damn light on everything to see better! lol 

That and there seems to be a light glow to them when not shot...I use a hip quiver and I have a cap I cover my fletchings with on the way in...those white fletching are bright as hell in the dark. Well that's what it seems like to me, drive me a bit crazy  thinking here I am all camo and the deer can see these white bouncing "blobs " moving through the woods and fields...lol whats the point...

10 minutes ago, rachunter said:

How is it to turn the off.  I had burnt coyote nock and could never get them to turn off 

This, and does the lighted nock's change the point of impact, necessitating a re sighting of the bow? I have been considering using them on my compound and crossbow, this year.

21 minutes ago, rachunter said:

How is it to turn the off.  I had burnt coyote nock and could never get them to turn off 

I used these when they first came out, they worked decent. To get them to shut off you have to slowly turn them one direction then back slowly again and find that "sweet spot" .. kind of a pain with certain shafts plus you had to shim them if the inside diameter of the arrow was off slightly. I have since switched to Tracers ( 6 years old and still flawless) .. and nockturnals as backups. 

One of the best investments I ever made!! Even when we think we totally smoked a deer, our eyes and deer body positions can play tricks on us, a shot that looked like smokin double lung, could easily be a single lung liver ... So i use lighted knocks no doubt. I'll take any advantage i can to see the arrows path and where it is located when it hits ... or misses easier lol

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rack Attack said:

I've tried almost every brand of these and the best I've found so far are the Igniter nock.  They have their own glue in inserts and are easy to turn off.  Others I've tried didn't always light, where a pain to turn off, or flew out when the arrow hit something hard like bone.

Ever use Firenocks?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I used firenocks. simple tap to turn off. 

They work every time and if they don't they will give a full refund and you keep the nocks, but They aren't cheap. I would hate to loose an arrow with one of those attached to the back. 

Edited by chas0218
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

They aren't cheap though. I would hate to loose an arrow with one of those attached to the back. 

I'd rather pay and have it work AND not having to take things apart to use them. I've had the same 3 for 5 years. Just new batteries. Annual price isn't bad. I get a charge out of some guys I see that spend over a grand on a bow, expensive stands, sights, releases and then shoot junk arrows or broadheads. Cheap money in my book with a good arrow, good broadhead and a quality lighted nock. 

Im not saying this is you Chas. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I'd rather pay and have it work AND not having to take things apart to use them. I've had the same 3 for 5 years. Just new batteries. Annual price isn't bad. I get a charge out of some guys I see that spend over a grand on a bow, expensive stands, sights, releases and then shoot junk arrows or broadheads. Cheap money in my book with a good arrow, good broadhead and a quality lighted nock. 

Im not saying this is you Chas. 

Haha no problem, even if you were I see where your coming from. Not to stray but lately I noticed a lot of people adding to the bottom of their post to say they aren't trying to bash someone or no offense. When did we get so sensitive it is some constructive criticism take it for what's it's worth.

I like the nocturnals but have had them clog up with blood and make it hard to turn off. Best thing to do is turn it off right after you find it. I also shot the bloodsport nocks and haven't had an issue. I have noticed that the nocturnals need to be replaced every couple years.

After the past 4 deer I've killed with the bow and not being able to see my arrows (can't be because I am older (52) must be my arrows are flying so much faster LOL) I bought Nocturnals... got the practice nocks as well so everything should be good to go... I'll let you know after I shoot them at a deer.. 

23 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

I wish I could find a lighted nock that would work for me.  I shoot fingers and always have them turn on when I draw.  No bueno. I can obviously kill deer without lighted nocks, but being able to follow your arrow in low light conditions can be a real benefit.  

Don't be so stubborn and shoot a string loop with a release.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Grizz1219 said:

After the past 4 deer I've killed with the bow and not being able to see my arrows (can't be because I am older (52) must be my arrows are flying so much faster LOL) I bought Nocturnals... got the practice nocks as well so everything should be good to go... I'll let you know after I shoot them at a deer.. 

I don't think you will be disappointed, I like mine. Don't "wash" them by submerging in water, it ruins them.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

I wish I could find a lighted nock that would work for me.  I shoot fingers and always have them turn on when I draw.  No bueno. I can obviously kill deer without lighted nocks, but being able to follow your arrow in low light conditions can be a real benefit.  

they are not cheap as Chas said but he firenocks will NOT go on like that. it is an internal inertia switch that is triggered at the release. Then simply hold point up and nock down and tap on something and it turns off. 

17 minutes ago, Doc said:

Everybody's saying they aren't cheap, but nobody is saying what the price is. Being a bit of a cheap-skate, maybe I really don't want to know.....lol

firenocks are about $60 for 3

My set up is like tossing out a $50 bill every time I let one loose in the woods. I took 5 deer withe the same arrow though so it isn't too bad.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

They are easy. There's a hole in the side, just use the tip of a knife and push the switch button back up. I use them as well. Love them. Better than any of the other ones I've tried. 

I must've gotten a bad pack I tried turning them off with a paper clip it didn't work on any of them. 

57 minutes ago, rachunter said:

I must've gotten a bad pack I tried turning them off with a paper clip it didn't work on any of them. 

I e been using them for 3 or 4 years now. Never had a bad one. Like anything else, you might have gotten some that slipped by QC. Some of mine are on their 4th year and the batteries still work fine.