What is acceptable accuracy?

Buckmaster7600

HA..........perfect; plenty of wind to muffle the shot. 

Think that'll effect the mystical flight of the arrow?  (Thanks uncle Ted)

Check out bowsite forums. Plenty of 60-100yds kills daily during the season. Treestand need not apply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Check out bowsite forums. Plenty of 60-100yds kills daily during the season. Treestand need not apply

I am guessing western hunting would not be my thing.  I don't like sniping with a rifle or bow.  Get me up close and personal. That's what makes it fun.   And Biz, misses at those yardages seem to be less publicized for some odd reason. Lol

• Like 4

Sure there are plenty of long range kills out west.....Tough to get close, so you work with what you have...

However, if the truth were known there is probably a corresponding increase in the number of bad hits and cripples..

At those ranges things like wind, the animal taking a step, etc are just magnified...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I am guessing western hunting would not be my thing.  I don't like sniping with a rifle or bow.  Get me up close and personal. That's what makes it fun.   And Biz, misses at those yardages seem to be less publicized for some odd reason. Lol

I'm thinking Biz is smarter than he portrays himself to be.  It thinks it's all a ruse..............

:)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Sure there are plenty of long range kills out west.....Tough to get close, so you work with what you have...

However, if the truth were known there is probably a corresponding increase in the number of bad hits and cripples..

At those ranges things like wind, the animal taking a step, etc are just magnified...

Interesting you say that Pygmy.  It seems like modern bow hunters are taught to take only high percentage shots.  But, according to some, many of the old legends (Fred bear) shot a lot and missed lots of game but they also made the crazy 100yd shot on occasion. Less taboo back then to take low percentage shots?  

Like you said, if forced to shoot that range, I guess you accept the risk. Then again, welcome to my swamp where 60yd shots are not even possible due to the heavy cover.  Half the time it's hard to find a clear lane  to shoot 20.  And you may never see the deer at 30yds. Good thing we cheat with tree stands. Lol

• Like 4

Isn't the definition of "sniping" sitting in a treestand?

Yes the object is to get close, but for example you aren't stalking into 15yds of a nice buck antelope when he's surrounded by 9 does in a wide open field. When you get to your effective max range you take shot.

This is especially true with sheep and goats. Many are killed at 80-90yds with weird angles. Sometimes it's impossible to get any closer without falling off a ledge.

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I have found that deer tend to jump string more for the 25-35yd shots than further. I haven't shot enough deer at beyond 45 to have a very accurate assessment but the few I have shot at that distance none have jumped string yet.

What amazes me is that more folks cant follow the simple logic of that.   Anyone who thinks string jump is an issue at 60 yards is quite clueless.   Why would a deer "jump the string" if it is more than 40 yards away ?   That is well out of the immediate danger zone, where deer react to the sound of a bow dumping its energy into an arrow.   My 59 yard crossbow buck waited patiently, rock-still, until the bolt pierced his heart.    When it comes to taking a shot at a deer or not, with any weapon, there are a lot more important things to worry about than just range.  The proof is in the results achieved, and if all other variables are perfect, there is nothing wrong with stretching the range a little bit.   Shooting at a standing, distracted deer, from a rest, across an open field, with no wind, at 60 yards is relative chip-shot, compared to shots at less than half that range, at walking, alert deer, in the woods on windy days.       

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, Pygmy said:
18 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Isn't the definition of "sniping" sitting in a treestand?

Yes the object is to get close, but for example you aren't stalking into 15yds of a nice buck antelope when he's surrounded by 9 does in a wide open field. When you get to your effective max range you take shot.

This is especially true with sheep and goats. Many are killed at 80-90yds with weird angles. Sometimes it's impossible to get any closer without falling off a ledge.

I understand Biz.  Hence my comment it wouldn't be my type of hunting.  And I invite you to hunt my swamp anytime.  You can show me how to hunt from the ground there.   Lol. I have killed deer from the ground on a stalk with the recurve.  In the end, you can't do that without blowing out a small parcel quick.   

Given the size of the "kill zone" I do not try to use it all. I practice with balloons inflated to about 4-6" and shoot at various yardages. As I get more consistent the balloons get smaller & smaller. Accuracy  is very important to me and if I can't hit an area smaller than the kill zone I am not going to be out there period.

Although it happens there is nothing worse than a bad hit.

• Like 3

Heck all they have to do is take a step.........

Before they do that they have to lift their leg. If their leg is still down my arrow is there before their body is moving.

Not getting in to a peeing match and the last thing that I want to do is suggest anyone shoot beyond they're comfort zone but the 25-30yd max range thing is almost exclusively a north east thing. Shoot however far you feel comfortable. I have killed a pile of deer with my bow and I tend to shoot further than most other northeastern hunters. It is something I work on year round shoot very heavy poundage and a pretty fast bow.

The thing I find funny is that 30years ago the average compound was shooting 200-225fps and the popular max range was 25-30yds. Now the average bow is shooting a 100fps faster yet the max range hasn't been extended.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Not getting in to a peeing match and the last thing that I want to do is suggest anyone shoot beyond they're comfort zone but the 25-30yd max range thing is almost exclusively a north east thing. Shoot however far you feel comfortable

I agree with not extending the comfort zone but for me getting as close  as possible for a shot is part of the bow hunting experience. When I set up and a deer walks by at 20 yds. or less..that means I have done something right. Being in the right spot at the right time is a big part of the hunt for me. I personally have no desire for long distance shots with a bow and therefore do not practice beyond 30 yards.

The closer the better for me...but to each their own.

• Like 2

I agree with not extending the comfort zone but for me getting as close  as possible for a shot is part of the bow hunting experience. When I set up and a deer walks by at 20 yds. or less..that means I have done something right. Being in the right spot at the right time is a big part of the hunt for me. I personally have no desire for long distance shots with a bow and therefore do not practice beyond 30 yards.
The closer the better for me...but to each their own.

I agree completely I would rather every buck I shoot be under 25yds, but I rarely hunt from a tree stand and 90% of my archery hunting is still hunting in the Adirondacks where chances are very few and far between and I want to be able to capitalize on any chance I get. I could kill a buck at home from a tree stand pretty easily but hunting my way in the ADK's is what I live for.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I agree completely I would rather every buck I shoot be under 25yds, but I rarely hunt from a tree stand and 90% of my archery hunting is still hunting in the Adirondacks where chances are very few and far between and I want to be able to capitalize on any chance I get. I could kill a buck at home from a tree stand pretty easily but hunting my way in the ADK's is what I live for.

No doubt stalking the ADK could require extra range.  That's tough hunting.  How many ADK bucks have you killed stalking?   Ithink it's a great accomplishment with gun to kill one like that. With bow it's really tough, especially with low density. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

archery hunting is still hunting in the Adirondacks where chances are very few and far between

My hat goes off to you :hi:and while I love the Adirondacks and the challenges they bring....... in my area it is challenging just to see one any more let alone get a shot.

13 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I could kill a buck at home from a tree stand pretty easily

I don't have that luxury

No doubt stalking the ADK could require extra range.  That's tough hunting.  How many ADK bucks have you killed stalking?   Ithink it's a great accomplishment with gun to kill one like that. With bow it's really tough, especially with low density. 

In 10 years I have killed 1. Let probably 10 small bucks go but shot 1 179lb 8pt. At 11 yds.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

In 10 years I have killed 1. Let probably 10 small bucks go but shot 1 179lb 8pt. At 11 yds.

How did that one happen?  Did you walk in on him bedded, or did you ambush him as he walked in on you ? Either way, that is quite an accomplishment.  I am going to get up there one day with my crossbow this fall and a day and a half with my ML and I am hoping for my first buck up there with either one of those weapons.   A three inch, 110 pound spike buck up there would be worth more to me than a heavy-racked 200 pound 10-point in the flatlands of home in western NY.        

How did that one happen?  Did you walk in on him bedded, or did you ambush him as he walked in on you ? Either way, that is quite an accomplishment.  I am going to get up there one day with my crossbow this fall and a day and a half with my ML and I am hoping for my first buck up there with either one of those weapons.   A three inch, 110 pound spike buck up there would be worth more to me than a heavy-racked 200 pound 10-point in the flatlands of home in western NY.        

I jumped him and tracked him on wet ground into a deep ravine and had a good idea he bedded back down so I got on the edge of the ravine and snuck up beside him while he was laying watching his back trail. I shot him in his bed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

It was only about a 90" buck but I had a euro done and he sits pretty prominently in the trophy room.

15 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I jumped him and tracked him on wet ground into a deep ravine and had a good idea he bedded back down so I got on the edge of the ravine and snuck up beside him while he was laying watching his back trail. I shot him in his bed.

That is pretty cool.  The wet ground must have allowed you to sneak in there quietly.  Was it windy ?  Did he get up and run after the arrow hit him, and how far did he go?   How far was the drag ?   I am thankful to have access to some private land on the edge of the Adirondack park, where my father in law can usually get his ATV pretty close.   It might be tougher this year though, because he just upgraded to one of those big wide side by sides. 

How many days have you bowhunted up there before taking that buck ?   It would like to have few more vacation days,  but I have to burn a few in early October this year for my nieces wedding down in VA.   What the heck are people thinking when they get married at this time of year ?         

That is pretty cool.  The wet ground must have allowed you to sneak in there quietly.  Was it windy ?  Did he get up and run after the arrow hit him, and how far did he go?   How far was the drag ?   I am thankful to have access to some private land on the edge of the Adirondack park, where my father in law can usually get his ATV pretty close.   It might be tougher this year though, because he just upgraded to one of those big wide side by sides. 
How many days have you bowhunted up there before taking that buck ?   It would like to have few more vacation days,  but I have to burn a few in early October this year for my nieces wedding down in VA.   What the heck are people thinking when they get married at this time of year ?         

I knew I was close so I was in creep mode, wet leaves helped. It was dead calm. He got up, jumped and tipped over. Drag was a little over a mile over a mountain.

I think that was 2013 and I started hunting the ADK's with a bow in 04 but missed a few years while deployed so I would say I was around 40 days hunting dark to dark before I killed him. The funny thing is the first day I ever carried a bow in the ADK's I could have killed a 4pt/ a spike that were bedded together under a spruce in a downpour. I got about 20yds from them before I realized they were too small for me to shoot and backed out. I remember thinking this ain't going to be to hard, 40days and a couple hundred miles later and I finally did it. I don't put near the effort into it now that I did. It was a bucket list thing and now that I killed a mature buck still hunting up there it isn't as high on the list.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2017 at 10:08 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

I was referring to bow hunting, but if you have a gun that will shoot a 1" group at 250yds I would love to see it!

I sight my .270 at 225 yards with which my best shooting from a bipod on a table is 5 shots just under 2 inches.  I have no doubt 1 inch could be done with custom loads.  At 225 yards and the hand loads i use, i can hold right on the crosshairs and be +/- 3 inches out to 320 yards.

With a bow, within a 3 inch circle is personally what i strive for and that maxes me at 40 yards for the time being.

• Like 1