What is acceptable accuracy?

Buckmaster7600

10 hours ago, Steve D said:

When I set up and a deer walks by at 20 yds. or less..that means I have done something right. Being in the right spot at the right time is a big part of the hunt for me. I personally have no

I'm the same way Steve . 20 yards from my tree is a 40 yard wide path, it's not hard to figure out where they move through an area that wide .

• Like 1

And if the doe didn't jump the string but the buck did?
I bet we wouldn't be reading about it...............
Buck didn't doe did, doe was on edge because the buck was chasing her. If he did jump the string it would have been a double lung instead of a heart shot.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The choice to shoot at X distance is personal, and opinions as much as people want to judge, don't make it "right or wrong."

Situationally, I have killed deer out to 55 yards before. By far the exception to the rule for overwhelming majority of my shots. Percentage-wise my kill vs. miss/or not recover is the same is at 40+ as it is 39 and below. I admit that I will not take a shot on a doe as far as I will on a buck. I can't remember the last time I shot a doe over 25 yards, probably close to 8-10 years ago maybe. I simply have too many encounters with does at closer ranges that I never feel the need to shoot one far out. I probably shoot one doe for every 15 I have in range. My hunting partners tend to be more murderous, lol.

The bucks that I choose to pursue result in 1-2 shooting encounters a year, and that may be at 20 yards or 40. I need to make those encounters result in wall decorations and a full freezer.

I can't tell other people what their effective range is. I am not in the stand or blind with them. For me...its binary. Kill or not. If I believe I can kill the animal, I am releasing.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I am guessing western hunting would not be my thing.  I don't like sniping with a rifle or bow.  Get me up close and personal. That's what makes it fun.   And Biz, misses at those yardages seem to be less publicized for some odd reason. Lol

I too like to get close but if an opportunity allows me to take a deer at further distances I don't want to pass it up. Granted if everything works out perfectly then I would take the shot. 

I wouldn't take a shot I know I can't make. I'm not being cocky just know my limitations.

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

Without a doubt......

Sure, you would know just as much as I would whether or not the deer was going to jump the string or act different than he did. Who knows maybe he did and my shot was low and I just so happened to hit him in the heart. There is always time to Monday morning quarterback things when it's done and over. Truth be told I screwed up more short range shots than ever a long range. Maybe it's because I don't take as many long range shots so there are less to screw up who knows but I'm willing to bet there are a few others out there like me that have done the same. One example above

I couldn't resist but to chime in on some of the ridiculous comments on this thread.

A 1" group at 250 with a rifle is easily achieved.  Modern rifles and optics are WELL in access of those types of groups.  I'm just getting back into shooting now.  I have a 6.5 creedmore and I can easily shoot a 1" group at 200 yards......and I am not proficient yet at all.  Do you think a sniper plans on missing by more than an 1" at even 1,000 yards?

As far as archery goes, all the big talkers with their 70, 80 yard + deer kills are also laughable.  I've hit my spot on a 3D target at 100 yards a couple times.  Shooting a target has ZERO translation to shooting a deer at that distance.  There is no way a single hunter is letting an arrow go at that distance and has any clue how the wind, density of the air, movement of the deer, etc will ultimately effect the impact point.  You are guessing, and guessing is unethical.  If you are ok with the fact that you may kill the deer or you may wound it with a bad shot, you shouldn't even be allowed in the woods.

Edited by beachpeaz
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

Sure, you would know just as much as I would whether or not the deer was going to jump the string or act different than he did. Who knows maybe he did and my shot was low and I just so happened to hit him in the heart. There is always time to Monday morning quarterback things when it's done and over. Truth be told I screwed up more short range shots than ever a long range. Maybe it's because I don't take as many long range shots so there are less to screw up who knows but I'm willing to bet there are a few others out there like me that have done the same. One example above

All I know and need to know is that I wouldn't take that shot. 

With my luck either an errant gust of wind, my nerves, HIS nerves and any other host of things could go wrong.  

I like my odds inside of 20 yards.  

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, beachpeaz said:

Do you think a sniper plans on missing by more than an 1" at even 1,000 yards?

Absolutely. I don't think there is a sniper dead or alive that would guarantee to be within an inch at 1000 yards.  They make COMPLETE misses at long yardage quite often.  I don't know where some of you guys are coming up with these notions that a rifle or shooter can be laser beam accurate at such extreme ranges??

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

With my luck either an errant gust of wind, my nerves HIS nerves any other host of things would go wrong.  

I don't want to come off as one of those guys that just fling arrows. I used to have a lot more time to practice and this year I wouldn't take a shot at 50 with the lack of practice I have had. I haven't shot at an animal at 50 yards with my bow since that buck 6 years ago. I actually haven't shot over 40 at an animal since then. I think the longest has been 36 yards in the last 6 years.

12 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Absolutely. I don't think there is a sniper dead or alive that would guarantee to be within an inch at 1000 yards.  They make COMPLETE misses at long yardage quite often.  I don't know where some of you guys are coming up with these notions that a rifle or shooter can be laser beam accurate at such extreme ranges??

You are out of touch with modern technology.  That's all I can say.

Saying that modern rifles and scopes are not capable of that type of accuracy is just crazy talk.

This picture is a 3 shot group on a 500 yard target at a long range shooting school by Rochester, NY (done by one of the instructors).

That response was not directed at how far one would shoot at an animal.  My gun is a 1,000 yard gun, and I wouldn't shoot more than 350 with my own capabilities.

But saying for target practice guns can't achieve supreme accuracy is just wrong.

500 yards.JPG

7 minutes ago, beachpeaz said:

You are out of touch with modern technology.  That's all I can say.

Saying that modern rifles and scopes are not capable of that type of accuracy is just crazy talk.

This picture is a 3 shot group on a 500 yard target at a long range shooting school by Rochester, NY (done by one of the instructors).

That response was not directed at how far one would shoot at an animal.  My gun is a 1,000 yard gun, and I wouldn't shoot more than 350 with my own capabilities.

But saying for target practice guns can't achieve supreme accuracy is just wrong.

500 yards.JPG

Google "world record group 1000 yards" and get back to us.........

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

With my luck either an errant gust of wind, my nerves, HIS nerves and any other host of things could go wrong.  

On all my 100+ yard archery shots, I always hang several wind socks down the shooting lane. And I only shoot at the old sway-backed bucks that can't hear or see and have no likelihood of moving away from the arrow. The good thing about these shots is that you always get a second, third or even fourth shot at those old deaf, blind, toothless, bow legged, arthritic ones.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lawdwaz said:

Google "world record group 1000 yards" and get back to us.........

Since you can't read, I posted that picture at 500 yards, not 1,000.

Secondly, the original comment (again, if you could read), said that guns aren't capable of a 1" group at 250 yards, which is ridiculous.

Lastly, the truly trained professionals who would be making a 1,000 yard shot are smarter than the wahoo rednecks posting videos on youtube.  I highly doubt the true world record group at 1,000 yards is found by googling it.

5 minutes ago, beachpeaz said:

Since you can't read, I posted that picture at 500 yards, not 1,000.

Secondly, the original comment (again, if you could read), said that guns aren't capable of a 1" group at 250 yards, which is ridiculous.

Lastly, the truly trained professionals who would be making a 1,000 yard shot are smarter than the wahoo rednecks posting videos on youtube.  I highly doubt the true world record group at 1,000 yards is found by googling it.

Easy there sport, I was referencing what you quoted. 

What caliber is your posted target shot with?

• Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:55 PM, Buckmaster7600 said:

Interesting discussion at work today that I figured I would bring up to you guys.

What do you guys consider acceptable accuracy for hunting?

It varied among my coworkers anywhere from 1" groups to in the "pie plate"

Me personally I don't care about a group my max range is 10 shots at 10 different times within what I consider my kill zone "within a couple inches of where I'm aiming." For me that is 65yds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just thought it would be good to remember the OP's question as it pertains to "bowhunting".  lol  Ahhh  Never mind, get back to arguing about rifle standards that at least I will admit to not being able to achieve.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 4

I couldn't resist but to chime in on some of the ridiculous comments on this thread.
A 1" group at 250 with a rifle is easily achieved.  Modern rifles and optics are WELL in access of those types of groups.  I'm just getting back into shooting now.  I have a 6.5 creedmore and I can easily shoot a 1" group at 200 yards......and I am not proficient yet at all.  Do you think a sniper plans on missing by more than an 1" at even 1,000 yards?
As far as archery goes, all the big talkers with their 70, 80 yard + deer kills are also laughable.  I've hit my spot on a 3D target at 100 yards a couple times.  Shooting a target has ZERO translation to shooting a deer at that distance.  There is no way a single hunter is letting an arrow go at that distance and has any clue how the wind, density of the air, movement of the deer, etc will ultimately effect the impact point.  You are guessing, and guessing is unethical.  If you are ok with the fact that you may kill the deer or you may wound it with a bad shot, you shouldn't even be allowed in the woods.

Lol, in my previous occupation I did a little long range shooting and a little instructing of long range shooting and I'm hear to tell you that are incorrect. On the first part of your post, the second part is opinions based and not worth arguing over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, beachpeaz said:

Well to be sure there's no rifle on the planet that can consistently group 1" at 1000 yards (in fact, it has never once been done in competition from what I can tell). The very best sniper rifles shot from machines don't group nearly that tight. So irrespective of the guy shooting, the gun is literally incapable of it. We can safely conclude snipers fully expect they will be missing by more than an inch, particularly since most of them won't be as good as the best competition shooters in the world in perfect conditions.

Edited by Core
  • Like 1

Talking bowhunting. If someone says they are limited to 30 yards, but then a nice buck comes in and he's 31 yards. do you pass? why not just aim a little high?

Rifle-wise, when I go out west I know the gun is dead on at 300yds, so if that is as close as I can get to my targeted animal I will take the shot at a standing still animal, so at 400yds I aim a little high, but at says 85yds I need to aim a little low.

10 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Talking bowhunting. If someone says they are limited to 30 yards, but then a nice buck comes in and he's 31 yards. do you pass? why not just aim a little high?

Rifle-wise, when I go out west I know the gun is dead on at 300yds, so if that is as close as I can get to my targeted animal I will take the shot at a standing still animal, so at 400yds I aim a little high, but at says 85yds I need to aim a little low.

I think there is what people say on a forum: "I will never shoot a deer past 30" and what happens in real life "It was 44 yards and a bit far but I practiced out that far and dang it I ended up hitting it in the leg and it ran off and I never got it again".

Edited by Core
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Core said:

Well to be sure there's no rifle on the planet that can consistently group 1" at 1000 yards (in fact, it has never once been done in competition from what I can tell). The very best sniper rifles shot from machines don't group nearly that tight. So irrespective of the guy shooting, the gun is literally incapable of it. We can safely conclude snipers fully expect they will be missing by more than an inch, particularly since most of them won't be as good as the best competition shooters in the world in perfect conditions.

And the misquoting continues.  I never said a 1" group was possible at 1,000 yards.  You should go back an actually read what I posted. 

So, since I'm repeating this again, I will say that the original comment made by someone was that a 1" group at 250 yards is NOT possible.  EVERY SINGLE comment I have made has been based on that premise.

So, yes, people in here are out of touch with reality if they think you can't shoot a 1" group at 250 yards. 

With a gun, anything around 200 yards is safe from me. Around here I can't even see past 150 yards and most of the time, 100 yards is looking through a screen of trees, brush and saplings. My longest target range here at home to practice at is only 100 yards. I looked at setting up another bench at 200 and discovered that I would have to do a major tree removal project just to poke a bullet through the additional 100 yards. Why should I sight in a rifle for a distance that I will never shoot?