This really has me worried....

growalot

I'm convinced we are in for a rip roaring winter. I seriously hope I am very wrong. The animals are just not acting normal....I went out to the fenced garden that is surrounded by lush food plots ...clovers. oats. brassica. alfalfa and WW. surrounded by 7 apple trees dropping really good apples... plus several more not far away   along with many other plots not far away and the ground is literally covered in beech ,acorns and hickory. The deer went into the garden and ignored all the corn and there's a lot...ate all my winter squash ,except the pumpkins , ate all the rest of my beans, half my swisschard ( Never touch it unlit Nov.) , all the carrot tops and half my beets. The rabbits and ground hogs took out nearly all my turnips down the hill and the deer helped..Mind you, there is hundreds of acres of corn around us and a beef hay field with clovers timothy and alfalfa. I'm telling you it's not normal. The flocks of cow birds and starlings...not here, by now they are normally driving me crazy. I haven't seen a bat in 2 weeks...I can't keep up with the rodent nests, in all engines and the blinds.  OMG I went out to feed the boys and over night their 8 x 12 ft dog house with a loft was completely taken over by at least a dozen very big and nasty looking spiders... I had to get a broom to make it to the door and then to their dishes...WTH is that about? Our chickens are pulling feathers and making nests down in their litter under the nest boxes.

Been here a lot of years and I have never felt so uneasy about winter arriving, even though it's warmed up a lot the last few days...Oh and new wasp and hornet nests popping up all over never seen that so late.

Well, I think this summer has been on the colder side of typical. And at times it has had some very large amounts of precipitation. If those patterns continue into the winter months, it could get ugly. But I am not worried. I just bought a winch for the ATV for lifting and lowering the snow-plow. I used to do that manually...... Not fun! When that sucker got loaded up with wet gloppy snow, I had to really grunt and get all my body weight into it to lift it up. But now I'm ready.

By the way, I have noted over the years that deer will go right past their chosen foods just to munch the hell out of expensive landscape plantings and anything in the garden.

• Like 1

You'll get that with Apple's too, but that's not the case they are eating everything and early...plus jumping fences to get  more...first time ever they have taken out all my squash..I would have blamed rabbits had there not been big clumps of deer scat and foot prints everywhere., Anyhow just can't shake this feeling...

Hunting  2 states?  I have been tagged out in Oct the last two years but still love early Nov.  It's the most magnificent time in the woods.  

New York. I can shoot 2 bucks in 3S in October or 1 in 3N and 1 in 3S in October. But then I wouldn't have any buck tags for xbow or shotgun season, so even though this is my first year with compound I will hold out for a decent buck (probably 6 or better)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree Chris, With the cooler then normal Summer temps we have had this year. My brassica plots, as well as my neighbors getting completely annihilated this early isn't the norm. They typically wouldn't even touch them until End of October at the Earliest. Maybe its because the little bit of AG is not around this year like it normally is. Not sure. I wouldn't mind snow, just bummed my winter plots are nearly gone already and its not even fall yet lol. 

• Like 1

Whatever comes our way, I'll deal with it and make the best of it! We've been spoiled the last two or three winters. I enjoy hunting with snow on the ground! Got my buck right after a snow last year. I really stocked up on snow camo, since the end of last season. So......let it snow.....let it snow.....let it snow!!!!!