7mm-08 Ammo

MPHunter

Hey All. First real post on the forum.

So after hunting deer with my Mossy 500 12ga for 26 years, I've decided to give my shoulder a break and picked up a Ruger American in 7mm-08 this past weekend. Hope to get a scope on it and out to the range in the next couple of weeks. I was planning on starting out with Remington Core-lokts and if they group well, stop there, but was curious what else people are using?

• Like 2

We got my wife the same gun a couple of years ago. Put a Nikon 4-12x on it. We tried the core-lokts, American Whitetail and Federal Fusions. They all shot pretty close but went with the fusions. I forgot the grain weight, but I can look tonight. If I recall, it was the heavier of the two choices.

Nice gun, light and accurate. The first deer she took dropped in place at around 150 yds, so she was happy. I might carry it a bit this year if I can pry it away from her.

And welcome to the board!

Edited by Steuben Jerry

Love the 7mm-08! After our area, 4-H went to rifle not long ago, I too switched from my shoulder thumping 12g to a 7mm-08 Savage Axis. Did some trigger work, and topped it with Leupold glass and it is a proven deer gun with "dead right there" results! Your Ruger American is a great rifle too! I have used the Cor Loc's, Fusions, Whitetails, Hornady's and a couple others at the range with pretty good accuracy. But for hunting, it's the Federal Premium, Nosler Bullistic Tips in 140 gr. that shot best from my rifle. The performance on deer is lights out instantly, when you do your part. Killed two decent bucks with this round at less than 50 yards. This round was suggested to me, from a member here when I asked the same question! 

Welcome to the forum! Hope to hear more from ya!

Edited by grampy
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

I have the Hornady SST 139gr rounds. Hve only shot the gun enough to be sighted in with them at 100yrds. So i cant speak too much for them but they shot well so far. But I've seen the damage these rounds can cause on a whitetail in this caliber out of friends guns  

This is what I have used in my new ab3. By far better results then the core locks. No hunting yet just sighting it in. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, grampy said:

Love the 7mm-08! After our area, 4-H went to rifle not long ago, I too switched from my shoulder thumping 12g to a 7mm-08 Savage Axis. Did some trigger work, and topped it with Leupold glass and it is a proven deer gun with "dead right there" results! Your Ruger American is a great rifle too! I have used the Cor Loc's, Fusions, Whitetails, Hornady's and a couple others at the range with pretty good accuracy. But for hunting, it's the Federal Premium, Nosler Bullistic Tips in 140 gr. that shot best from my rifle. The performance on deer is lights out instantly, when you do your part. Killed two decent bucks with this round at less than 50 yards. This round was suggested to me, from a member here when I asked the same question! 

Welcome to the forum! Hope to hear more from ya!

Grampy, I too hunted 4H when I started hunting as a teenager and it was shot gun only. Been hunting 4C for about the last 20 years though but never saw the need to switch to rifle as the slug gun was so good at dropping deer in their tracks. Just not into the punishment anymore. 

Thanks to everyone for the responses! I'll let you know how I make out at the range.

• Like 1

I've always used Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertip 140 grain 7mm-08 loads.  Nickel plated cases with a black Lubalox coated boat tail bullet.  Very accurate, drops them like lightning at every range I've taken them, bore stays clean and no copper build up in the bore.  I've stocked up on a couple of hundred rounds, which I'm sure will last me for life.

• Like 4

I've always used Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertip 140 grain 7mm-08 loads.  Nickel plated cases with a black Lubalox coated boat tail bullet.  Very accurate, drops them like lightning at every range I've taken them, bore stays clean and no copper build up in the bore.  I've stocked up on a couple of hundred rounds, which I'm sure will last me for life.

This is the same bullet I use when I carry one of my 7mm08's, if you're worried about the price they shoot almost identical to Winchester white box of the same grain so that wants I use for practice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

This is the same bullet I use when I carry one of my 7mm08's, if you're worried about the price they shoot almost identical to Winchester white box of the same grain so that wants I use for practice.

Considering I'm used to paying $15-$20 per box of 5 slugs, $30-$40 for a box of 20 seems like a bargain. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good read , I'm getting my daughter a Savage 7mm 08 compact , was wondering about ammo . She uses a youth 870 in 20 ga, problem is the youth model is so,light it kicks like a full sized 12 ga would .

Plus she wants a scope so I figure just switch her up to a rifle , the less recoil the better . 

• Like 1

My hunting partner bought his daughter a Savage Axis in compact model with the pink trim in 243 last year. She loves it and shoots much more accurate than with her old 20g. The 7mm-08 should be light on the recoil too. Great choice Dad! Get back to us, and let us know how she does with the new set up.

19 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Good read , I'm getting my daughter a Savage 7mm 08 compact , was wondering about ammo . She uses a youth 870 in 20 ga, problem is the youth model is so,light it kicks like a full sized 12 ga would .

Plus she wants a scope so I figure just switch her up to a rifle , the less recoil the better . 

You can reduce the felt recoil even more by going with the 120 grain bullets rather than the 140s, if her rifle groups them well..

I handload 120 grain Barnes TSX  for my Rem 700 Mountain rifle, and it's a real pussycat to shoot, even with a max powder charge..  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Beikirchs gave me a box of Fusions 120 , wow no felt recoil  worth mentioning . I may use this gun myself . With purchase of the youth model , you get a coupon for an adult stock at half price .

I burned through that box sighting it in, forgot the gun rest ....... Got it to, palm size groups at 100 .

Going to grab a couple more boxes and shoot with her next week .

4520DF08-9E5F-451A-90C8-4BBF9F689664.jpeg

C2F40640-4827-4789-BDB0-B64985FC3048.png

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the scope mounted. Nikon Prostaff 2-7. Took it out to the gravel pit yesterday. Got it on paper at 25 yards (first pic) and moved out to 100. Circled group was last 3 shots with Federal Premium Ballistic Tips.  I'll take it. I would not call myself a marksman and I'm sure rifle shoots better than me. Check out our high tech bench set up in the last pic. Thanks all for your advice!

2017-10-28 10.06.19.jpg

2017-10-29_18.01.11.jpg

2017-10-28 10.34.45.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

That is damn near PERFECT, My Friend  !!.....Dead deer.. !!..

Thanks Pygmy. That's what I'm hoping!

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

7'm-08, the best deer cartridge ever designed!

After hunting for over 25 years with a 12ga, I'm hoping to prove that point! But I thought the 35  Remington was the best?

Edited by MPHunter