Who all hunts with a handgun ?

rob-c

14 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I have killed a few deer with handguns. Some with 45colt and a couple with a 10mm glock and one with a .40cal glock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how did that .40cal perform? I have one, but was questioning it's use as a deer hunting gun.....details?

how did that .40cal perform? I have one, but was questioning it's use as a deer hunting gun.....details?

8 yard broadside shot. 155gn Barnes bullet hand loaded to 1180fps. Deer died in 10yds bullet broken ribs in and out and exited. It was a 60lb doe in North Carolina in a spot where I wasn't comfortable using a rifle and couldn't draw a bow because of a shoulder surgery.

I don't recommend a 40 for deer.

4 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

8 yard broadside shot. 155gn Barnes bullet hand loaded to 1180fps. Deer died in 10yds bullet broken ribs in and out and exited. It was a 60lb for in North Carolina in a spot where I wasn't comfortable using a rifle and couldn't draw a bow because of a shoulder surgery.

I don't recommend a 40 for deer.

Thanks....that's what I thought.

3 hours ago, kpkot said:

I was going to unveil my newly acquired DW 357 from last winter, but just bought myself a bday gift. Its older brother in 44. Not sure which one now...

20170831_162251.jpg

I am a ruger guy all the way. but man I love those dan wesson revolvers,,,,

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 2

I always have one on me when hunting ....

Sold my Dan Wesson 8" SS .44 mag to a collector a few years back , his permit was as thick as a deck of cards !! No exaggeration.

I dropped a few with that .

Finished a few with my SW 586 4" .357 .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

33 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

His pistol permit had so many pages it was that thick . He said he caries a Glock if a cop wants to see his permit , he says " here start at the G's and go from there ."

handguns are treated as NFA in NY? that's weird.

Pain in the rump dealing with NFA paperwork, I hate it.

we did away with permits here but we ask for them anyway, it exempts you from background checks, probably the same there. I can't really remember how the permits work in NY its been too long.

we have minimum caliber and cartridge dimensions for hunting big game and trophy game, it's  a group slap just like non residents not being allowed to hunt on their own in wilderness areas for these same game animals, it isn't fair to some but it saves a lot of expense and annoyance overall.

I don't know who would know what pistol I shot it with anyway, I've never seen another hunter in the field ever. But I understand, like the 40 for deer, no problem for some , big mess for others.

handguns.jpg

Edited by slickrockpack

Just picked up a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 last spring.Pristine and born in 1978.  Put a lot of rounds downrange last summer  Managed to shoot one with my daughter there and that made my first handgun deer even more special. Dropped in its tracks  Definitely hoping to shoot another one with it this year. Ordered this Kenai chest holster for it  should be a lot easier to access than a hip holster with winter gear on and a climbing harness  

IMG_6925.PNG

IMG_6927.PNG

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 6

28 minutes ago, slickrockpack said:
57 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

His pistol permit had so many pages it was that thick . He said he caries a Glock if a cop wants to see his permit , he says " here start at the G's and go from there ."

handguns are treated as NFA in NY? that's weird.

Pain

No , but each gun, make ,model , caliber ,ser # is listed on our permit . Maybe ten or so per page .

• Like 1