Fisher

Cabin Fever

4 hours ago, slickrockpack said:

I shoot every turkey I see in the gut with a 22 short,

turkey season I just say im woodchuck hunting and in fall I say im shooting red squirrels, all winter too, and then when i call  turkey in or see a flock I lay into them with the 22 shorts.

WTF... Dude, are you for real??

• Like 2

my thinking is thin them out to make the woods safe for other critters,
there are some animals that we should try to wipe out,  like turkeys for instance.
one turkey eats as much food as 13 grouse, so a whole flock of turkeys are taking the place of probably 1,278 ruffed grouse, without those turkeys the woods would be full of grouse.
I prefer hunting grouse and eating them too over turkeys
the stinking things turn my stomach and they aren't great eating either.
I shoot every turkey I see in the gut with a 22 short,
turkey season I just say im woodchuck hunting and in fall I say im shooting red squirrels, all winter too, and then when i call  turkey in or see a flock I lay into them with the 22 shorts.
in a couple years NY should see fantastic grouse numbers and you have me to thank!  you're welcome.
without the turkeys the fisher should starve and again, you are welcome!  
Huh? You are kidding right?

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

He's making fun of the guy who says we should kill all the fishers.
Whoosh right over all the heads lol....i agree wouldn't have a Fisher problem if there was no food for them lmao....seriously tho don't kill them just to kill them please many trappers would love the chance to trap them for you

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

They are in RI, Conn. , and NJ. Coyotes were on Long Island long before anyone finally "confirmed" them...What makes anyone think that Fishers couldn't be there? Hell I would think in a big city  that Obviously has rats...a Fisher population would be welcomed and encouraged...lol But I suppose...they couldn't adapt to their environments,like coyote, deer,  even bear have in highly populated areas.

Edited by growalot

8 minutes ago, growalot said:

They are in RI, Conn. , and NJ. Coyotes were on Long Island long before anyone finally "confirmed" them...What makes anyone think that Fishers couldn't be there? Hell I would think in a big city  that Obviously has rats...a Fisher population would be welcomed and encouraged...lol But I suppose...they couldn't adapt to their environments,like coyote, deer,  even bear have in highly populated areas.

oh, I don't doubt it...just would be surprised. I'm pretty sure there's been confirmed Otter sightings here as well.

• Like 1

The fisher distribution maps I can find all seem obsolete. Wikipedia's doesn't show any south of the Adirondacks. We know they are all over central NY and as far south as Southern PA and West Virginia.  DEC, on their site, says they are in forested habitat in southeastern NY. Even so, I doubt they are on LI.

That said, that particular island is terra incognita. I'm more familiar with the wildife in the pyrenees. Are there mink on Long Island?  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

The fisher distribution maps I can find all seem obsolete. Wikipedia's doesn't show any south of the Adirondacks. We know they are all over central NY and as far south as Southern PA and West Virginia.  DEC, on their site, says they are in forested habitat in southeastern NY. Even so, I doubt they are on LI.

That said, that particular island is terra incognita. I'm more familiar with the wildife in the pyrenees. Are there mink on Long Island?  

I'd be very surprised if there were NOT mink on LI...They are very aquatic and inhabit many coastal/ brackish habitats...

Fishers, on the other hand are more of a forest/upland species...It is very possible they could be on LI, but the habitat  is not ideal for them and they would have  to access it through NYC or cross fairly wide expanses of salt water..

14 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I'd be very surprised if there were NOT mink on LI...They are very aquatic and inhabit many coastal/ brackish habitats...

Fishers, on the other hand are more of a forest/upland species...It is very possible they could be on LI, but the habitat  is not ideal for them and they would have  to access it through NYC or cross fairly wide expanses of salt water..

I'm pretty sure a relative of mine who trapped down here for many years has caught one or two.

It's pretty neat to see " saw my first fisher " on this forum as we're spread out all over the state. Quite a few last year on here saw their first. Like I said , tracks 2 years ago, cam pic and visual last year and saw one other day. DEC probably doesn't have a clue compared to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have yet to see my first fisher in NYS in the flesh...I have seen a fair number of picts from local trailcams and pictures from local trappers of fishers they have released.

I have only actually seen 2  live fishers in my life, one in Alaska and one in Ontario..

I have, however, seen a half dozen bobcats either while hunting or while driving...

2 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

Are there mink on Long Island?  

yes mink,muskrat,stoat and skunk. I've heard about beaver on the north shore but never seen one.

I can't believe how big a fisher is. I saw a bearcat in a ecology center and thought it was cool looking i'd love to see a wild fisher.

Yea I figured people would question my sighting! So I'll try and clarify what I saw and let's just make sure it wasn't one of them Long Island swamp squatches lol. So the two sightings I had was once in greenport early morning sitting outside of melrose marine yard. I used to drive out early to process EPAy  for building docks. Anyhow I was sitting outside the front gate drinking my coffee when all of the sudden this jet black mink looking thing came running out of the brush crossed the street Stopped looked at my car and then trotted off into the brush. This thing looked more like a gigantic ferret or mink. It was at least three times the size of a ferret and longer very cool looking.  The second sighting was on a 600 acre property in northport.  A friend of mine that lives on and takes care of the property was showing me around and we were heading down to a swampy area of the property that I consider more like a marsh.  Anyhow we were on foot at the time and he stopped me in my tracks to point at this huuuuuge black wolverine looking thing that was 20 yards away from us down hill.  I couldn't believe how big this thing was at first I thought small black bear until it looked up at us. As soon as it realized we had seen it it turned and ran and the weirdest thing was the way it ran away from us. Since we were on a hill we had a great view of watching this giant varmit looking thing pounce through the marsh. It was bizarre the way it ran away because of the bouncing fluid sprint this thing made through an almost un navigable marsh.  We didn't know what the hell it was and my buddy was a little startled so we turned back.  At the time I had no idea what it was and after doing research there is no question due to the size of this animal the way it looked and while I can't say that Fischer move like that it was bizzare. I would imagine there is a population of these possibly I would hope but who knows. If anyone can find some video of a Fischer running I would appreciate it.