trigger break weights

eagle rider

sorry read that wrong my deer rifles are all factory set triggers

I have a ruger 10/22 that I had polish down to a 21/4 pound pull and love it.That gun almost went bye bye with the factory pull then someone told me about getting it lightened up. I also have a tc encore with a 21/4 pound pull it's just a muzzle loader now but I had a 3006 barrel for it. funny thing I hated the 21/2 pound pull on my ruger 22/45.

Edited by rachunter
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Pygmy said:

Dittto  on what Bugsy said....

Same here, any less than 3 is NFG for me.  Got the t-shirt too. :)

I had my NULA 7mm-08 trigger (Timney also) down to a VERY crisp 2lbs. and it cost me a huge hog.  I had the gun on the window ledge of the elevated blind I was in and was lining up the shot.  I wasn't very comfortable with my body angle on the gun and just tried to smooch up a bit in the folding metal chair and I must have JUST ticked the trigger and BANG-O, a shot into the mud at the feet the big boar (not sure really but it makes the story more dramatic) hog.  Maybe it would have happened with a heavier trigger but I don't think so.  Heck, it could have been a bit less than two pounds, I don't recall for sure.

And yes I do have a trigger pull gauge, made by RCBS.

• Like 1

I like a hunting rifle with a 3.5 to 4 pound trigger that breaks like a glass rod.  I feel if it breaks right, a reasonable pull weight under 5 pounds isn't really a big factor in accuracy.  I have a target rifle (Steyr SSG-69) with a set trigger that will put the pull weight at about 1/4 pound.  Breaks really well but way to light for hunting with.

Yup, right at three, to three and a half, is perfectly in my comfort range for hunting. Along with a crisp clean break, with no creep. I've never shot an Accu Trigger, and not sure if I would like it. For me, it would take some getting used to. But a lot of hunters and shooters seem to like them.

• Like 1

I like 4lbs, but I like about 1/8th inch of travel.   Travel and creep are different.  Travel is movement to release.  Creep is like chatter.

I shoot offhand competition.  The better the shot picture, the more I squeeze.

I drop test my guns too.

To add travel, you sometimes need a new sear or trigger.  If the gun has parts only a gunsmith can buy, I will never buy it.

I do my own triggers.  I almost always buy used guns too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

2 1/2 -3# for me. Far more important IMO is creep. I hate to feel the trigger creep ever so slightly without the BOOM that is supposed to happen as soon as the trigger moves. 

My CZ-452 American has been modified to adjust from 10-30 ounces. It serves double duty as a squirrel/bench rest rifle. The only time I set it above 10 ozs is when others will be shooting it. When shooting 100 yd bench rest, 10 oz seems like 10#.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...