Squirrel hunted yesterday.....

8 minutes ago, Arcade Hunter said:

I seem to see them all the time when I am not hunting them!

:rofl:  Yes, that happens a lot!!

Squirrels move when they want, it is hard to put a real pattern on them, the only sure bet is when acorns, walnuts, or hickory nuts start falling, then they are on the move constantly. I will say that I've had my best luck between October & December, once it gets real cold out, they only seem to come out at sunrise & sunset.

Good luck!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Arcade Hunter said:

I went squirrel hunting yesterday... I only saw one grey and nothing else... no shot either.  Am I not going to see many on warmer days?  It was about 75 out, no wind, beautiful day.

I seem to see them all the time when I am not hunting them!

Same but the rabbits have been out every evening and morning munching on the clover in the yard.

• Like 1

I tried it a little bit the previous weekend when it was a little cooler.  I saw a couple, but could not get my cross-hairs on them for a shot with my .22 rimfire.  It is tough with all those leaves on the trees.  One was close enough that it would have been a chip-shot with a shotgun, but I hunt squirrels mostly to "tune up" for deer hunting, and that "cheating" would defeat the purpose.  The mosquitoes were bad then and I imagine they were much worse yesterday when it was a lot warmer.  

I suggest you take up fishing and do that until we get a hard frost or two.  There are a lot less bugs out on the water than there are in the woods.   That is what I am planning.  Hopefully, a few more big king salmon will cooperate next weekend.   

• Like 2

10 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I tried it a little bit the previous weekend when it was a little cooler.  I saw a couple, but could not get my cross-hairs on them for a shot with my .22 rimfire.  It is tough with all those leaves on the trees.  One was close enough that it would have been a chip-shot with a shotgun, but I hunt squirrels mostly to "tune up" for deer hunting, and that "cheating" would defeat the purpose.  The mosquitoes were bad then and I imagine they were much worse yesterday when it was a lot warmer.  

I suggest you take up fishing and do that until we get a hard frost or two.  There are a lot less bugs out on the water than there are in the woods.   That is what I am planning.  Hopefully, a few more big king salmon will cooperate next weekend.   

I too like to hone my skills a little and my new browning buckmark needs to be broken in on some fur. My son got eaten alive doing stands last week. He is 3 in Jan. and doesn't get the concept of swatting the skeeters. Poor kid looks like a freshmen in high school with all his bug bites on his face. Mom wasn't very happy with me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Just getting a chance to post... I've been out every weekend and finally nailed one this past Saturday morning.  My son in law got one our first time out.  We pan seared them and tossed them in the crockpot all day with a little beef broth and onions.... I am officially hooked on squirrel hunting.  Lots of exercise and I found a few new bow hunting spots.  The dinner was exceptional!

Squirrel.jpg

• Like 7

I went out nearly every day this week and managed to get three of these guys.  Got the last one this afternoon on last day of season.  Winter squirrel hunting is crazy fun and I think pretty damned hard!  With leaves down they see you from a long way off and disappear.   Sad to say that my poor shooting with 22 resulted in missing about 4 over the course of the week.  Pretty long shots but no excuses.  Guess I need to practice more!

Soaked them in buttermilk, battered and fried and then simmered in homemade chicken stock until tender.  Yum! 

28312521_10156182523813276_1722693843_o.jpg

28500773_10156194034003276_561031848_o.jpg

Edited by gwhalin
  • Like 3

• 6 months later...