2017 prime time NY

growalot

So I was watching you tube tv and got onto the D&DH shows ...they gave the prime time deer hunting for NYS  dates ... Just now I was checking on the crossbow season for our area and dang if it's not the same dates they gave to be in the woods hunting mature buck..Well I think they said Nov. 2 and x-bow is Nov 4 through 17th . I'm hoping to get mine before that...It just Kills me to have to pay 30.00 for a muzzle loading tag to use my cross bow.

15 minutes ago, growalot said:

So I was watching you tube tv and got onto the D&DH shows ...they gave the prime time deer hunting for NYS  dates ... Just now I was checking on the crossbow season for our area and dang if it's not the same dates they gave to be in the woods hunting mature buck..Well I think they said Nov. 2 and x-bow is Nov 4 through 17th . I'm hoping to get mine before that...It just Kills me to have to pay 30.00 for a muzzle loading tag to use my cross bow.

Why not just stick with your compound?

No, just misspoke, I think that was the price I use to pay...but any amount bugs me for a cross bow... a muzzle loader fine but I have a life time archery tag. For a couple of years I boycotted buying one,and just used my compound. Last couple though the shoulder has been acting up.

Anyways I thought it interesting that they are coinciding.

2 hours ago, growalot said:

Just like most hunters I have multiple weapons and enjoy using them...but by the end of bow season...my shoulder has had quite enough.....:wink:

What Are you doing to make your shoulder hurt at the end that you aren't in the begining of the season?

• Like 1

As one with two impinged shoulders, bone spurs and the beginning of frozen shoulder I'll field this . Shooting the bow hurts  I start as late as I can ( August ) and shoot through the  season as all bow hunters should . 

But as time goes on it gets worse .

• Like 3

Climbing ladders and then sitting still for hours in the cold...its called old age..lol

If your not there yet..eventually you'll understand :wink:

Thanks Nomad...he must have missed where I said the other day my practices are getting shorter due to an angry shoulder and knees,seeing I practice from a stand .

Edited by growalot
  • Like 2

No problem . Old age or older age is not for the weak .

In the academy my nick name was Ironman, when I came out on the line it was The Rhino, no door or wall could stop me , get in the Rhinos way and you'd get the horn , now I'm like an angry possum, it's hard by I except  that.

• Like 2

I think Crossbows need to be outlawed again. Its such an advantage over regular bow hunting, I just don't think its fair for guys to be out there in prime time with a weapon that's practically a rifle that shoots arrows. Idk, just my opinion. Its much more fun and more difficult to get them 45 yards or closer so you can smack em with a real bow.

39 minutes ago, Iluvracks1359 said:

I think Crossbows need to be outlawed again. Its such an advantage over regular bow hunting, I just don't think its fair for guys to be out there in prime time with a weapon that's practically a rifle that shoots arrows. Idk, just my opinion. Its much more fun and more difficult to get them 45 yards or closer so you can smack em with a real bow.

Lol .  45 yards !!! Ive been bow hunting 30 years today's compounds are so,far ahead of what was out there when bow hunting started . Personally I see  modern compounds as pretty easy .

Had a "fill in" at the firehouse today, knowing we are both hunters , the talk drifted that way . His first bow and he's shooting 1 inch groups at 30 yards right from the get go .

Btw my first bow buck was in '89 at 8 yards  fingers   flipper rest . I've never took one past 25, and I've killed over 100 bow and gun .

Personally a Xbow seems combersome to me for,little advantage over today's compounds.

45 yards my God son my average bow kill is closer to 15. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Iluvracks1359 said:

I am thankful that they are allowed in the Southern zone for the whole "peak-rut" period.   It is also nice to have (3) additional days, prior to the early ML season, up the northern zone, almost a month earlier.  Some day, when you get a little older, you might appreciate them because they may add a few years to your own archery hunting.  

Even though I could handle a bow, I love the crossbow because it gives me better control over the deer killing process, and almost eliminates the chances of my wounding and not recovering a deer.   I am 2/2 with it, and both bucks died in sight, or close enough to hear drop after taking the bolts.  I also like the symmetry of the crossbow, in that I can evenly use the muscles of both arms and shoulders to draw it back.  You get kind of goofy looking arms if you shoot a high poundage vertical bow right or left handed all the time.    

It is great not to have to draw with a deer in close, and to be able to shoot from a rest with telescopic sight.   I do not hunt for the challenge.  My desire during archery season, is to kill the deer as quickly and painlessly as possible, with the most lethal, legal, affordable, silent weapon available.  I would prefer to have all of archery season to use the crossbow, but I am content with the peak of the rut in the south and the extra three days up north.  A nice fringe benefit is a little extra time in early October for some fall fishing and small game hunting.   

I think there may still be one or two states that don't allow the crossbow, where you might consider a move.   Good luck this season whatever weapon you choose.   I just waxed the rails and strings of my crossbow, put a new battery in the scope, and will start practicing this week.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Iluvracks1359 said:

Yes, U R entitled to an opinion. So am I. My opinion is that your opinion is nonsense!

Edited by bugsNbows
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Iluvracks1359 said:

The object of hunting is for the conservation of the animal(s) being hunted... literally killing a number of animals in an attempt to maintain manageable populations. The idea that a weapon is more "fair" or less "fair" is of no consequence. We as hunters are lucky to have any opportunity to hunt with any weapon. I suspect that there would be a lash back if golf clubs were introduced into another season. There is nothing about a crossbow that is deserving of being outlawed as a viable means of taking a whitetail for the purpose of furthering the conservation effort. I am curious to hear your story as to how a crossbow has personally affected your ability to kill deer and is detrimental to the conservation objective of killing deer.

• Like 4

Apparently never had to carry a heavy crossbow... Today's compounds are same if not better  45 yards I've killed at 70 with my compound and at  65 several times. You are a hippocrite.. Unless your using traditional archery equipment .. heck I remember the fight just to allow compounds. And then they were fingers only.. Now you can use releases fiber optic sights

Or scopes.. Then the fight for an extra tag for bow... That people now want to give up...

Its much more fun and more difficult to get them 45 yards or closer so you can smack em with a real bow.

Ahhh Gee... seeing I'm a killer and still have my blood lust....I have fun regardless of the weapon. the easier the better...:biggrin::taunt::cheese:...hahahaha

Man glad I have the animals blocked they were busy in the BL thread I noticed...lol

8 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Yeah used to be your regular season tag for bow. use it for either sex if you wish but then you were done unless you drew a doe tag for gun. 

And now people want to go back to 1 buck tag.. I'd be tagged out 1st week. Bow and sitting on my ass rest of year.. 

On 9/18/2017 at 9:18 PM, Iluvracks1359 said:

You need to learn a few things about crossbows.