Interesting what DEC says about bucks

chas0218

Wow the season isnt even here yet and we are starting with the excuses and whinning..... If big inch or pound is your thing, learn to and work for it.... They are around... Deer dont get to be 3+ years by being dumb. You have to learn how the deer act, pattern them, then hope they make a mistake... Too long of gun season has little effect.. go out on wednesday of week 2,3, or ml.... in most places you will be the only person in the woods. Want all the young deer shot? make gun season 3 days, there will be no passed deer. As far as the Op article... Everone wants the DEC to put out educational information, Im glad they started. Setting realistic expectations for new or casual hunters is an excellent first step. If all the info out there is the TV the new or casual hunter would expect fawn to be born at 125lbs. The DEC has taken the proper line in educating, not madating.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Wow the season isnt even here yet and we are starting with the excuses and whinning..... If big inch or pound is your thing, learn to and work for it.... They are around... Deer dont get to be 3+ years by being dumb. You have to learn how the deer act, pattern them, then hope they make a mistake... Too long of gun season has little effect.. go out on wednesday of week 2,3, or ml.... in most places you will be the only person in the woods. Want all the young deer shot? make gun season 3 days, there will be no passed deer. As far as the Op article... Everone wants the DEC to put out educational information, Im glad they started. Setting realistic expectations for new or casual hunters is an excellent first step. If all the info out there is the TV the new or casual hunter would expect fawn to be born at 125lbs. The DEC has taken the proper line in educating, not madating.

You contradict yourself when you say "want all young deer shot make season 3 days" but right before that you said they don't get old by being dumb and they have to make a mistake?

If season is months long the they have a lot more time to make the mistake you speak of.

If you don't think shortening our seasons would help put age on our deer herd than there is no reason trying to explain any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

You contradict yourself when you say "want all young deer shot make season 3 days" but right before that you said they don't get old by being dumb and they have to make a mistake?

If season is months long the they have a lot more time to make the mistake you speak of.

If you don't think shortening our seasons would help put age on our deer herd than there is no reason trying to explain any more.

No contradiction... Make gun season 3 days, and the thought of seeing a bigger shooter later goes out the window. It becomes a take whats avalible now because tomarrow is less then 3 days... On the 3+ year olds.... Yes the older they get the smarter they get. Ever walk by a deer that simply did not move? Bet it wasnt a 1 1/2 year old. Ever stalk a deer that always seem to have a bush or tree in the way of a clean shot? This is what age does... It make them wiser... and harder to hunt, but lets make them the only legal deer to harvest... and you have only 24 huntable hours to do it..... in 5 years you will have no hunters. Back to my origanal statement.. Im glad to see The DEC educating and setting realistic goals for new and casual hunters.

No contradiction... Make gun season 3 days, and the thought of seeing a bigger shooter later goes out the window. It becomes a take whats avalible now because tomarrow is less then 3 days... On the 3+ year olds.... Yes the older they get the smarter they get. Ever walk by a deer that simply did not move? Bet it wasnt a 1 1/2 year old. Ever stalk a deer that always seem to have a bush or tree in the way of a clean shot? This is what age does... It make them wiser... and harder to hunt, but lets make them the only legal deer to harvest... and you have only 24 huntable hours to do it..... in 5 years you will have no hunters. Back to my origanal statement.. Im glad to see The DEC educating and setting realistic goals for new and casual hunters.

Then why are the big buck states that people spend a ton of money to go hunt the states with the shortest gun seasons? With some of the highest hunter participation and out of state tag sales? Once again sorry but you're wrong bud.

Just to be clear as I stated earlier in this post and many times prior I don't want the state to change anything I like the challenge of hunting here and haven't had much trouble shooting mature bucks.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tuckersdaddy said:

If there was only a 3 day gun season... in a few years there would be so many mature bucks running around everyone would be able to pass young ones... the only reason we would lose hunters is because some idiot friend decided to get married on the weekend of those three days :) 

• Like 4

3 day gun season might work for hunters with private land, but those who have only public land might suffer. Wouldn't be able to wait out the 40 people who show up to that tiny 100 acre area.
Agree with Buckmaster on this, leave things the way they are.

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

I kind of like the gun season the way it is. Everybody thinks they are getting a big deal by having all those extra days, but the truth is that hardly anyone uses more than the first couple days of all that time. So we get a long season without any penalty and everybody is happy. And I do agree that if the gun season was shortened significantly, nearly the whole hunter population would enter the "if brown, it's down" mentality. That seems pretty obvious. The pressure would be on to grab up whatever venison becomes available.

I kind of like the gun season the way it is. Everybody thinks they are getting a big deal by having all those extra days, but the truth is that hardly anyone uses more than the first couple days of all that time. So we get a long season without any penalty and everybody is happy. And I do agree that if the gun season was shortened significantly, nearly the whole hunter population would enter the "if brown, it's down" mentality. That seems pretty obvious. The pressure would be on to grab up whatever venison becomes available.

I think if there was a study done you would see that of the many hunters that actually kill deer regularly kill them after opening weekend. How many of the hunters that only hunt opening weekend actually kill deer? My guess is not many.

• Like 1

I agree... I have tracked and killed many a big buck in the last 40 years and have never seen a mature doe bigger than a any buck I have hunted ... and I have never killed a 200 lb. buck... 180-190 yes, but never 200. A 200 lb. doe would be a rare and awesome sight.
200lb bucks are around just not at all common. Not all mature bucks break 200lbs but many will come close. We've had 5.5 yr olds early season not hit 200. Maybe at peak 6.5 they would. We've also had some 5.5+ bucks weigh well over 230. We have had reasonably mature doe weigh more than most yearlings harvested by new or youth hunters. A noticeable number of 2.5 yr old bucks don't tip the scales of a good portion of our heaviest doe. This from a pool of around 130 or more deer each annual season.
Depending on time of season is important. Deer vary in weight. We here in eastern ag country in ny won't have the same potential for heavy deer as say western and southern tier areas of ny. Same for potential isn't the same compared to Midwest. We still can get 150+" 230+lb bucks but they are above average and all close to fully mature. People need to not guess and need to have realistic expectations for their area of the state.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

On 9/19/2017 at 3:43 PM, Larry said:

Only one way to tell how old a deer is and that’s look at the teeth. Anything else is a wag. I don’t even look at antlers anymore when you have killed enough “big bucks” anther aren’t that big of a deal. I look for body size if a buck looks like it’s over 200lb I’m going to try to shoot it if it looks smaller then it walks. Chances are if it’s over 200lb it will have a decent rack. But then a gained its just a wag.

Never got one myself that big but dragged a couple out that were 197 and 201 dressed. These were shot in Farmington, good old farm land deer the amount of fat on those deer was nuts.

• Like 1

Wouldn't be able to wait out the 40 people who show up to that tiny 100 acre area.

OK please read this before getting worked up . It is JUST a question.

I know you hunt public not sure where, now I have looked through lots of Public hunting places and where I have looked they USUALLY range 500+ to thousands of acres... 100 acres just seemed small to me Do you have larger public hunting spaces in your area?

PS... I agree with what you said and leave the seasons alone.

Edited by growalot

18 minutes ago, growalot said:

OK please read this before getting worked up . It is JUST a question.

I know you hunt public not sure where, now I have looked through lots of Public hunting places and where I have looked they USUALLY range 500+ to thousands of acres... 100 acres just seemed small to me Do you have larger public hunting spaces in your area?

PS... I agree with what you said and leave the seasons alone.

Yes, I also have about 200 acres of private land to hunt in the lower Dacks. That's now an hour and 1/2 away. I wasn't referring to myself as an example. But, Louise Kier is less then 100 acres, and has two very small parking areas, one is for maybe two vehicles, the other maybe 4. When you see 10-15 vehicles crammed into those two areas that's a little more people hunting during the gun season in 100 acres then I feel comfortable with. As I am sure a few others feel the same way.

There are also a couple smaller areas ( will look up the names ) that I am aware of. Those areas get hit pretty hard as well. 

Edited by ....rob
  • Like 1

I thought Middle Grove was smaller then 500, I was wrong.

I know there are a few patches of state land scattered here and there with no names so to speak, that aren't very big. Anyway.........

My actual point is, there are people now who say the public land they hunt is crowded. Make the gun season three days and it will get worse, because those hunters who wait to hunt until the "unload at will" hunters are gone, will now be hunting the only three days they have to hunt. This is just MPO, but I think the hunting accident rate might rise a little as well, it would seem inevitable. There's a lot more to debating how long or short the seasons should be then just deer management.

• Like 1

My earlier post in no way advocates a 3 day gun season. I like the idea of a long season. It gives me plenty of time in the woods and an opportunity to hunt the buck that I want. There was also a good point made about public land where I can see a mass influx of hunters invading public lands for three days, making it difficult for everyone to get a safe spot to hunt. Not sure if a short season like that would allow NY to keep up with deer populations especially in suburban woods... I would imagine that you wouldn't be able to keep a single shrub  with all the deer that would be roaming the local neighborhoods.

i don't necessarily have a preference when it comes to length of season.  i do believe that if it were much shorter than it is now we'd see more people scheduling vacation and having the camp prep and get-togethers before the season.  right now the season is so long we have multiple get togethers with different people showing up at different ones because they can. it's more of a trickle effect. i do believe it'd increase the overall buck age structure.  those who put in the time during the season will just be putting it in during preseason. i know it wouldn't change my buck standards.

i don't necessarily have a preference when it comes to length of season.  i do believe that if it were much shorter than it is now we'd see more people scheduling vacation and having the camp prep and get-togethers before the season.  right now the season is so long we have multiple get togethers with different people showing up at different ones because they can. it's more of a trickle effect. i do believe it'd increase the overall buck age structure.  those who put in the time during the season will just be putting it in during preseason. i know it wouldn't change my buck standards.

I can understand this somewhat. But, if you work in a factory or have a job with shift work, you would have guys fighting for vacation time, as the company isn't shutting down so employees can hunt.

I changed the way I hunt last year. If I have a doe in the freezer, I wouldn't kill any buck less then a 6pt. If not, and a decent 4pt gives me a shot in range, he's not getting a pass. But no spikes, and I would never kill a button buck just to have meat.

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk