Subaru ?

Nomad

Just test drove an Outback , I really like it , the boxer engine , the safety ratings .Symmetrical AWD and a really good resale value, are strong positives . All sorts of cameras , lane change assist , adapted cruise control and so forth . The Honda CRV being a now distant second .

Dont  worry I'm keeping the Buick ......

Thoughts ? Any Subaru owners here ?

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, bugsNbows said:

R U a millennial yuppie? Just wonderin'

We could start listing all of the Subaru stereotypes but I would rather not be banned:taunt:

In all seriousness, my mom had 3 foresters and an outback and loved all of them, my aunt and uncle have had 3 foresters as well. No one has ever gotten stuck in the snow (except me when I was learning to drive), and they all have been treated well by Van Bortel. 

Edited by Ontario Buckhunter
  • Like 2

F yeah. I'll never buy another vehicle than a Subaru. Had a 2002 Outback I ended up with 120K miles on it. Traded in for new 2012 at the time Outback. Still running that one. Averaged 33.6 mpg to D.C. and back a few weeks ago. Just noticed I'm at 27.9 now with lots of stop and start driving locally. Had snows on previous model. You cannot get that car to slide and I tried. Imo. There's no better vehicle for the snow , mileage and safety. Wife has Impreza were about to trade in for a newer model. Daughter will absolutely have a Subaru when she starts driving. Dealer wanted like $800 to put a 2" hitch on. Went to local UHaul and had one put on for $230. Same thing. They drop exhaust , trim an inch off heat shield etc. These guys have been doing it for 20 plus years. Love the deer carrier. Putting deer on previous model by myself sucked. Brother is running a Forrester with 240k on it. An American made vehicle may last 80K but that's simply break in period for a Subaru. Buy one , you'll never look back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

We own 3 subarus..  My wife drives the Outback and says she will never buy another car...   I am always amazed at how much we can get in it with the seats folded down..   Her mom has an outback and my mom drives a Forrester..   everyone likes them and they are safe!

• Like 2

Had a 1999 Outback until this past Spring.  If the Ford, Chevy and Dodge truck owners knew how little I spent on repairs they wouldn't believe me since their trucks breakdown more often then I change my socks.  Other then a couple sets of tires, a couple of brake jobs, I spent virtually nothing on it in the 18 years I owned it.  Bought another Subaru to replace it.

40 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Just test drove an Outback , I really like it , the boxer engine , the safety ratings .Symmetrical AWD and a really good resale value, are strong positives . All sorts of cameras , lane change assist , adapted cruise control and so forth . The Honda CRV being a now distant second .

Dont  worry I'm keeping the Buick ......

Thoughts ? Any Subaru owners here ?

Regarding the CRV, I got a 2014 CRV (wife drives it). She does a lot of miles, mostly highway though. She got 50K miles out of original set of tires. She's now around 62K miles and have had zero issues with it. She loves it. Too slow for me to enjoy, but I use it for fishing.

• Like 1

I have a 2000 outback with 200k miles and while it is reliable, good in snow and fine for hauling deer I can't wait to get rid of it. I have a toddler and it is a pain getting her in and out. Car seats are so big now and my 2 year old is the size of a 5 year old so it's cramped back there. We will likely sell it this winter and get a Highlander or another Rav4.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

F yeah. I'll never buy another vehicle than a Subaru. Had a 2002 Outback I ended up with 120K miles on it. Traded in for new 2012 at the time Outback. Still running that one. Averaged 33.6 mpg to D.C. and back a few weeks ago. Just noticed I'm at 27.9 now with lots of stop and start driving locally. Had snows on previous model. You cannot get that car to slide and I tried. Imo. There's no better vehicle for the snow , mileage and safety. Wife has Impreza were about to trade in for a newer model. Daughter will absolutely have a Subaru when she starts driving. Dealer wanted like $800 to put a 2" hitch on. Went to local UHaul and had one put on for $230. Same thing. They drop exhaust , trim an inch off heat shield etc. These guys have been doing it for 20 plus years. Love the deer carrier. Putting deer on previous model by myself sucked. Brother is running a Forrester with 240k on it. An American made vehicle may last 80K but that's simply break in period for a Subaru. Buy one , you'll never look back.

Does that void a warranty? I would like to get the hitch put on my wife's CRV. My parents have it and it works great for deer cart and ATV trailer. Honda wants like $1K, but UHaul much cheaper. I was just worried about voiding extended warranty by having U-Haul do it?

I bought a Forester for my daughter's first car. One thing I did notice, Sub owners are like cult members. Crazy brand loyalty. I paid $4,000 for the car with 120,000 miles on it. she drove it 4 years and put 60,000 miles on it and I sold it for $2500. The car was bullet proof and a tank in the snow with just average tires on it. 

Boxer engine is great but very sensitive to low oil levels so keep it topped. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Does that void a warranty? I would like to get the hitch put on my wife's CRV. My parents have it and it works great for deer cart and ATV trailer. Honda wants like $1K, but UHaul much cheaper. I was just worried about voiding extended warranty by having U-Haul do it?

warranty on what? the exhaust? They can't very well void a warranty on the engine for having a hitch on it. 

• Like 1

No void. I asked. Same hitch too for less money.

1 hour ago, bugsNbows said:

R U a millennial yuppie? Just wonderin'

I'm not 100% on what that is or why some type just letters .

Heres a couple  pictures you can decide yourself . I'd add a smiley face but I don't know how .

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.png

• Like 3

I have an 06 Outback, you get used to the jokes eventually.....my daughters first car was a 95 Impreza given to her by my in laws, meticulously maintained and garaged. I had it shipped to Colorado for her when she moved last year and she just sold it for $2000.00, not bad for a 21 year old car.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, helmut in the bush said:

Come on, buy American

So the Honda ?

edit both are made in Indiana.

My Dad always bought GM always. Since my first car in '77 I've only owned one " foreign " car , that one was made in Japan .

Today U.S. Cars are made in places like Mexico and Japaness cars in the U.S. 

Ive reached  a point where ratings ,resale , reliability , owner satisfaction and safety are driving my decisions.

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 4