Subaru ?

Nomad

My old boss in Kansas was obsessed with those Subaru Bajas. They were neat car/truck hybrids. He would buy up everyone he came across and would part them out and piece them all together to make whole ones lol. Hauled a lot of corn and other crap with them all around Kansas.

I seen it mentioned once in here already but, just keep an eye on the oil level in any Subaru. They tend to eat oil a bit and absolutely do not like to be run low. They don't handle being low very well at all. Old boss blew 2 motors himself and his daughter blew up another subie from running it too low on oil. Other than that they are good cars.

• Like 3

Not selling the Buick.

Not leasing .

Wife is cheap ..... That's my battle , we've done very well investing the last 30 years , I also came into a sum  of money recently that would cover the cost and then some . 

If it was up to me one would already be in the driveway and I'd be checking cameras, shooting my bow and other more important stuff . But I gotta play the game and make it seem like her idea somehow .

Maybe I'll buy her a new vacuum or dishwasher to sweeten the deal .

Also wants the point of being the Trophy Husband if I can't get a new car ?

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 1

Only gripe with my Outback is changing the headlight bulbs. Did it twice and will NOT ever again. PITA  Have to turn wheels sideways. Pop out wheel lining. Someone lays on ground and person peers from above giving directions to person on ground 'getting closer, contort your hand this way etc"   Wifes Impreza blew a bulb day after I replaced one of mine. She was so apologetic . Her car was the old style, pop hood ,unscrew cap, pop spring and insert bulb. So I replaced in about 90 seconds and went to neighbors and hung out and had a beer. She still doesn't know it was lickity split. Shhhh

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

I seen it mentioned once in here already but, just keep an eye on the oil level in any Subaru. They tend to eat oil a bit and absolutely do not like to be run low. They don't handle being low very well at all. Old boss blew 2 motors himself and his daughter blew up another subie from running it too low on oil. Other than that they are good cars.

Yup. Head gaskets. Wifes Impreza and brothers Forrester both . Just keep and eye on the oil, top it off once in a while and check coolant. Usually happens with very high mileage

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

How dare you !? This crappy little Focus will make the STI it's bitch all day long.

2016-Ford-Focus-RS-front-three-quarter-03.jpg

Not so much. 0-60 for a 2016 Focus ST is 6.2 seconds. 0-60 for a 2015 Subaru WRX STI is 4.6 seconds. The Focus cant beat a base 2004 Neon SRT4, which comes in at 5.2 seconds. If you moved up to the Stage 3 SRT4 (which was factory), youll take a dump on the STI with 4.1 seconds 0-60, and those cars are 13 years old. Wannabes.

40 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Only gripe with my Outback is changing the headlight bulbs. Did it twice and will NOT ever again. PITA  Have to turn wheels sideways. Pop out wheel lining. Someone lays on ground and person peers from above giving directions to person on ground 'getting closer, contort your hand this way etc"   Wifes Impreza blew a bulb day after I replaced one of mine. She was so apologetic . Her car was the old style, pop hood ,unscrew cap, pop spring and insert bulb. So I replaced in about 90 seconds and went to neighbors and hung out and had a beer. he still doesn't know it was lickity split. Shhhh

Same type of ordeal with the Crosstrek. I wanted to set the damn thing on fire both times I changed headlight bulbs.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Not so much. 0-60 for a 2016 Focus ST is 6.2 seconds. 0-60 for a 2015 Subaru WRX STI is 4.6 seconds. The Focus cant beat a base 2004 Neon SRT4, which comes in at 5.2 seconds. If you moved up to the Stage 3 SRT4 (which was factory), youll take a dump on the STI with 4.1 seconds 0-60, and those cars are 13 years old. Wannabes.

All wheel drive makes a huge difference for the average driver that tends to spin too much to achieve the fastest 0-60 times.  No idea whether the neon had AWD, but if not, I would bet on the sti over a stage 3 srt 4 with most drivers.

4 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

All wheel drive makes a huge difference for the average driver that tends to spin too much to achieve the fastest 0-60 times.  No idea whether the neon had AWD, but if not, I would bet on the sti over a stage 3 srt 4 with most drivers.

It was front wheel drive. You do have to know how to drive them. First time I drove a stage 3, I dumped the clutch going into 3rd and the torque steer ripped the wheel out of my hands. AWD cars are easy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

It was front wheel drive. You do have to know how to drive them. First time I drove a stage 3, I dumped the clutch going into 3rd and the torque steer ripped the wheel out of my hands. AWD cars are easy.

Hence the crazy 0-60 times of that ugly GTR.

• Like 2

Just get a 3 series BMW w/ AWD. They are great in the snow and fun to drive in dry weather too. I remember in 2011, I drove 8 hours (should have been 5) in an old 2001 330xi across NY and PA in a bad snowstorm to get to hunting camp in PA. There were tucks slid off the road everywhere. I was the first to arrive at camp. The guy running the camp said all the other guys were coming from closer locations but running late because of the snow. He asked what kind of truck I drove, he said it must have been a "beast". I walked him outside and showed him the bimmer without snow tires.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

12 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Just get a 3 series BMW w/ AWD. They are great in the snow and fun to drive in dry weather too. I remember in 2011, I drove 8 hours (should have been 5) in an old 2001 330xi across NY and PA in a bad snowstorm to get to hunting camp in PA. There were tucks slid off the road everywhere. I was the first to arrive at camp. The guy running the camp said all the other guys were coming from closer locations but running late because of the snow. He asked what kind of truck I drove, he said it must have been a "beast". I walked him outside and showed him the bimmer without snow tires.

I had a 550ix with the Dinan stage 2.  It was FAST and good in the snow.  A little too luxurious for me though.  lol

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

That's the ST though ,I was talking about the RS(pictured) 350 horse AWD.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I had a 550ix with the Dinan stage 2.  It was FAST and good in the snow.  A little too luxurious for me though.  lol

The 5 series are too big for me. I like the 3 series, as a smaller guy. The '01 330xi was my first grown-up non sports car (previously had mustangs, vette, etc.). Now I have a '11 328XI. I have gone through a lot of cars in 17 years but never had anything new, I always went the use or now certified pre-owned BMW route. Get much more bang for your buck. My 328xi was $10K less than my wife's then-new CRV in 2014.

12 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

The 5 series are too big for me. I like the 3 series, as a smaller guy. The '01 330xi was my first grown-up non sports car (previously had mustangs, vette, etc.). Now I have a '11 328XI. I have gone through a lot of cars in 17 years but never had anything new, I always went the use or now certified pre-owned BMW route. Get much more bang for your buck. My 328xi was $10K less than my wife's then-new CRV in 2014.

I had to squeeze into the 550 (one reason I got rid of it) but you would have laughed if you saw me try to get into the 3 series.  Very nice vehicles however.

Sorry for hijacking Larry.  Go Subaru!

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

Bimmers are nice. But like every euro car they will drain your wallet on maintenance costs if your not a diy guy. Guy I work with has the same car as you biz. I actually even walked over to it this morning just to make sure it was the same model lol. But anyways, he just had the motor rebuilt, can't remember exact problem but ran a little low on oil and ended up with 4500 bucks worth of work. He bought that car used a few years ago around the time I bought my VW Jetta TDI. Both of us swapped war stories on the regular at work of all the upkeep we had to keep doing to those euros. After dealing with VW and the whole dieselgate fiasco, I won't touch a euro with a 30 ft pole.

1 hour ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Not selling the Buick.

Not leasing .

Wife is cheap ..... That's my battle , we've done very well investing the last 30 years , I also came into a sum  of money recently that would cover the cost and then some . 

If it was up to me one would already be in the driveway and I'd be checking cameras, shooting my bow and other more important stuff . But I gotta play the game and make it seem like her idea somehow .

Maybe I'll buy her a new vacuum or dishwasher to sweeten the deal .

Also wants the point of being the Trophy Husband if I can't get a new car ?

TROPHY HUSBAND? That's my role

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

Bimmers are nice. But like every euro car they will drain your wallet on maintenance costs if your not a diy guy. Guy I work with has the same car as you biz. I actually even walked over to it this morning just to make sure it was the same model lol. But anyways, he just had the motor rebuilt, can't remember exact problem but ran a little low on oil and ended up with 4500 bucks worth of work. He bought that car used a few years ago around the time I bought my VW Jetta TDI. Both of us swapped war stories on the regular at work of all the upkeep we had to keep doing to those euros. After dealing with VW and the whole dieselgate fiasco, I won't touch a euro with a 30 ft pole.

rebuilt motor? yikes. maintenance (including oil changes) on the new ones are free for first 4 years / 50K miles. The computers on the dash tell you how long you have till certain things need to be done. I've never had a big repair. When 2001 started to have issues in 2014 (13 years old) I didn't put a penny into it and still sold it for $4,500 to some random guy.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

One of my colleagues at work has a 3 year old Mercedes (I think E series) and the heated cup holder stopped working.  While it was there for some maintenance work, he told them to fix the cup holder and got a bill for $1100.  I was laughing my butt off.  He was not too happy.  I think I would have went with a nice insulated cup instead and kept the extra $1085. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

rebuilt motor? yikes. maintenance (including oil changes) on the new ones are free for first 4 years / 50K miles. The computers on the dash tell you how long you have till certain things need to be done. I've never had a big repair. When 2001 started to have issues in 2014 (13 years old) I didn't put a penny into it and still sold it for $4,500 to some random guy.

Free = added to purchase price.

• Like 1