Subaru ?

Nomad

rebuilt motor? yikes. maintenance (including oil changes) on the new ones are free for first 4 years / 50K miles. The computers on the dash tell you how long you have till certain things need to be done. I've never had a big repair. When 2001 started to have issues in 2014 (13 years old) I didn't put a penny into it and still sold it for $4,500 to some random guy.

Good to hear. There's good ones out there. The repair bills for them scare me, and I'm not a lucky guy so I'm always gonna get the one that breaks stuff. My buddy must be like me in that way. Thankfully my TDI was bought back in the whole settlement thing, as I was starting to have some big issues going on. If I had to keep it, I would have been up in the several thousands on just the couple exhaust parts and stuff needed. Not counting the fixing of non essential things like the one back window quit rolling down on me. When I found out it would be bought back I parked it. Only stipulation of the buyback was that it ran into the dealership lot under its own power, couldn't risk running it anymore lol. Every time I turned the key I clenched up wondering what f-ed up noise I'd hear this time haha
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Free = added to purchase price.

Yea, again that's why I go CPO. I got my '11 328XI with under 30K miles for like $22K (instead of $48K) in 2014. It was originally bought in 2012 so I got free maintenance for 2 years and its still under warranty until 2018.

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Those things are bad azz. Pioneer in Avon has a silver 2015 for sale right now. I was drooling when I went by the other day.

Thought they only came in silver. With all the new gadgets on the new cars like launch control and such you just pop the clutch and the car does the rest. Kind of sad you don't need to actually know how to drive a car anymore it is all done for you.

I bet that they probably fired one of the engineers at Subaru . To remove the oil filter on my 2009 Subaru was impossible without a special tool so I always took it in to have the oil changed . On my 2015 Forester the oil filter is in the front of the engine compartment and stares you right in the face when you pop the hood . Makes it so easy to change the filter so it must be an engineering screw-up !

One of my colleagues at work has a 3 year old Mercedes (I think E series) and the heated cup holder stopped working.  While it was there for some maintenance work, he told them to fix the cup holder and got a bill for $1100.  I was laughing my butt off.  He was not too happy.  I think I would have went with a nice insulated cup instead and kept the extra $1085. 

Ya there's exactly what scared me away from those types of cars. In the VWs the auto tranny needs a service every 40k miles. It's a $500 job! My F150 will be turning over 140k in the next week or two and I've never even checked the fluid in that tranny lol.

VW dealer wanted $1500 to do the timing belt on my TDI. That's a every 100k job as well on almost every euro car out there. Oil changes in a TDI will cost you no less than $90 even buying the correct oil online, takes this super special oil, ya know the type they milk from unicorns.

All of this is exactly why I bought a used 2014 Honda Civic to run the 35 miles one way to work every day. I can rack up miles and change the oil once every 7k with a $25 jug of oil from napa. I don't abuse it so it should go well over 200k miles with little to no issues. I don't even like driving cars, but it saves me money and miles on my nice big truck.

5 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

I bet that they probably fired one of the engineers at Subaru . To remove the oil filter on my 2009 Subaru was impossible without a special tool so I always took it in to have the oil changed . On my 2015 Forester the oil filter is in the front of the engine compartment and stares you right in the face when you pop the hood . Makes it so easy to change the filter so it must be an engineering screw-up !

A lot of this is because the motor was designed for a rear engine car and then they try to stuff it into the front of a car and its all backwards with things in the way. they basically have to design the engine twice.

7 minutes ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

change the oil once every 7k with a $25 jug of oil from napa.

After 100k miles you can just change the filter and top off the oil back up to full, no need to drain it when it burns it all out. Guy I work with bought a brand new Odyssey ($38k) 12 miles in engine had a rod knock he had me come listen it sounded horrible. I told him not to drive it get it towed back to the dealer, he called the dealer had them listen over the phone. They said it was fine just does it when it's cold even though he said it was doing it all the time, 30 more miles the tow truck driver was picking up what was left of the oil pan and pieces of aluminum block off the black top.

After 100k miles you can just change the filter and top off the oil back up to full, no need to drain it when it burns it all out. Guy I work with bought a brand new Odyssey ($38k) 12 miles in engine had a rod knock he had me come listen it sounded horrible. I told him not to drive it get it towed back to the dealer, he called the dealer had them listen over the phone. They said it was fine just does it when it's cold even though he said it was doing it all the time, 30 more miles the tow truck driver was picking up what was left of the oil pan and pieces of aluminum block off the black top.

Sucks for the guy you work with. But with so little miles it was obviously messed up right from the factory in a big way. I'm sure they took care of that for him. Hondas are well known for reliability and low ownership costs. Like I said, I dislike cars (other than mustangs I like those) but for when your looking for a cheap car that will make it to 200k or more pretty easily as a back and forth to work beater, Honda civics and such are hard to beat. I paid 12k for my Civic with 25k on it. It's slow and doesn't do anything cool, but it's averaging 38mpg and I've used the saved money in gas compared to driving my truck to pay off a few things and stack a little cash away for my trip to Nebraska in a few weeks. If this thing starts to eat a little oil after 100k, so be it. By that time it will be paid off and won't owe me anything. Besides, it's a Honda, they only need like a cup of oil to run anyways lol. Ran a Honda foreman for 4 years without even checking the oil lol.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

Sucks for the guy you work with. But with so little miles it was obviously messed up right from the factory in a big way. I'm sure they took care of that for him. Hondas are well known for reliability and low ownership costs. Like I said, I dislike cars (other than mustangs I like thoseemoji12.png) but for when your looking for a cheap car that will make it to 200k or more pretty easily as a back and forth to work beater, Honda civics and such are hard to beat. I paid 12k for my Civic with 25k on it. It's slow and doesn't do anything cool, but it's averaging 38mpg and I've used the saved money in gas compared to driving my truck to pay off a few things and stack a little cash away for my trip to Nebraska in a few weeks. If this thing starts to eat a little oil after 100k, so be it. By that time it will be paid off and won't owe me anything. Besides, it's a Honda, they only need like a cup of oil to run anyways lol. Ran a Honda foreman for 4 years without even checking the oil lol.

Yeah no doubt it had issues right away. I'm not knocking them just pointing out they have no less issues than other manufacturers, they used to be the forefront in reliability but manufacturing has come so far it is tough to find a car that won't last 200k with proper maintenance. Fuel mileage wise my father in law had a cobalt that would regularly on the open rd. get 40 mpg sold it with 75k on it to buy a 5 speed 2wd silverado that managed 27mpg on the open rd. sold that bought a Yukon Denali that gets 14 mpg on a good day but that is his commuting car to and from florida where he tows his bass boat everyday for 5 months then back up here to NY. The 2004 denali has 140k no issues. No doubt those hondas last but so does any well maintained vehicle (excluding trucks because if you use a truck for a truck it's going to break or wear out quickly).

Edited by chas0218

3 hours ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

don't even like driving cars, but it saves me money and miles on my nice big truck.

I don't like buying cars or trucks , I see them as a nessary evil and block to accumulating wealth for many . Our financial goals have been met , paid for kids collage and reached a target level of net worth .

So now I'm splurging on a small AWD which will,be close to  50% of what I've spent on cars in the last 38 years .....

off to,buy my hunting license .

• Like 4

3 hours ago, chas0218 said:

Thought they only came in silver. With all the new gadgets on the new cars like launch control and such you just pop the clutch and the car does the rest. Kind of sad you don't need to actually know how to drive a car anymore it is all done for you.

I don't know about the 2015s but I've seen red, blue, black, white and silver ones. 

Yeah a lot of the newer cars take a lot of the skill out of the picture. Soon a lot of them will be self driving and that's going to take all of the fun out of it too. 

• Like 1

Good cars but I'm not saying this to troll as I have had a few subarus in the family, but I can't stand subaru drivers. I think it isn't the car but the sort of person attracted to subarus. They tend to drive very slowly compared to other drivers. Exceptions of course are the ricers in their WRX.

This is a generality. I'm sure all subaru drivers in this thread are upstanding, fantastic people and the above doesn't apply to them.

15 minutes ago, Core said:

Good cars but I'm not saying this to troll as I have had a few subarus in the family, but I can't stand subaru drivers. I think it isn't the car but the sort of person attracted to subarus. They tend to drive very slowly compared to other drivers.

Then Larry and the Subaru will be a perfect match.  He also likes to leave his blinker on for long stretches. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

My first car was a VW beetle. never changed the oil. the filter was just a screen and the car leaked oil so bad that every time you filled the gas tank you just topped off the oil and it was good to go. lol

And how did you fit in a VW beetle?  Were you a foot shorter at the time?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Then Larry and the Subaru will be a perfect match.  He also likes to leave his blinker on for long stretches. 

Hey I resemble that remark !  I'm thinking of lining the back deck of the Buick with stuffed animals and putting on a bumper sticker at an angle !

btw wife was very pissed comimg back from Lake Placid I was 80 mph plus , don't recall if blinker was on . She really hates it when the Troopers send me back on  my way . Who's side is she on anyway ?! One time she opened the glove box ( Glock inside ) when the papers are in center console, I screamed " she's got a gun"  but he didn't fire .....

Btw at work I've determined the worst drivers are Mini Coopers and Prius owners . Lights and sirens on there a$$ and they're clueless .

Drove  the CRV today , nice but can't tow crap. Looks like I'll bring a check to the Subaru guy next week .

Then in the rut I hope to,have blood leaking through the tailgate .

Buick pix for Moog.

image.jpg

image.jpeg

• Like 7