Newb question about waxing string

Core

Xbow wants a re-wax every ten shots.

1) where is all the wax going between these few shots?

2) lubing the rail and waxing the string seems straight except what do you do with the string that wraps the pulleys? On my compound I have sometimes used overpriced (and I won't buy again) venom lube for the string that wraps the pulleys buy I won't be doing that here

I think the main issue is waxing the rail where the string rubs against it during the shot.  A little rubs off every time, which is why they say to add more every ten shots.   Wax is cheap, so why not err on the side of caution.   I waxed my Barnett recruit last night and just finished verifying the points of impact a few minutes ago.  My first shot, at 35 yards struck dead on left/right and one inch below the point of aim using the top dot.  My second shot at 45 yards, also struck an inch below the point of aim, using the middle dot.  My third shot, from 20 yards, struck 2" above the point of aim, again using the top dot.   With those three shots, I am good to go for opening of Northern zone crossbow in a few weeks.   Even though it has only been three shots, I will wax it again before the trip.  

I am sort of forced to continue practicing throughout the season, because this entry-level crossbow must be shot to unload.   I like that, because putting that "unloading" bolt right in the center of the bull after every morning and afternoon hunts keeps my confidence up for the following hunt.  It also is a little light on energy compared to the faster, higher-priced models.  For that reason, everything would have to be almost perfect for me to take a 50 yard shot at a deer with it, and I would never shoot at another deer that is farther than that.  A deer that gives me a shot at 45 yards and under might be in some serious trouble though.     

1 hour ago, Core said:

Xbow wants a re-wax every ten shots.

1) where is all the wax going between these few shots?

2) lubing the rail and waxing the string seems straight except what do you do with the string that wraps the pulleys? On my compound I have sometimes used overpriced (and I won't buy again) venom lube for the string that wraps the pulleys buy I won't be doing that here

Lots of energy when the bolt is fired. The excess wax just flies off the string and cables.

Just like your compound apply wax to the string and rub it in with your fingers. No need to put it on the serving or wrapped part of the string. Only use 'rail lube' on the rail of your crossbow. As you said, do this every ten shots or so. Good luck and have fun with your crossbow.

• Like 2

Per instuctions for my 10pt Xbow; wax string, NOT servings! Lube rail lightly with oil & spread out evenly. Just as important is to oil any mechanisms; ie; trigger, safety, ratchet cockers, etc. I also lightly wax the string on my ratchet cocker. This is for a compound type of Xbow. Assuming a recurve or reverse draw type of Xbow might need slightly different maintenance...

Thanks, all.

The bow came with wax that has silicone in it. Looked like a smaller tube of the same stuff I put on my bow string. It says it should be applied to strings but also to the rail. Seems kind of waxy for that. Maybe I should find some rail lube.

Edited by Core

6 minutes ago, grampy said:

It's not cheap, but I really like the Scorpion Venom rail lube. Very slippery, and the best I've found so far, at not attracting dirt and debris along the rail.

I bought a tube, but I can't do it again. it's really too expensive. It has about 50 drops in the entire thing for $12 :( I haven't seen any competitive products, though.

10 minutes ago, Core said:

I bought a tube, but I can't do it again. it's really too expensive. It has about 50 drops in the entire thing for $12 :( I haven't seen any competitive products, though.

The Limbsaver rail lube is the next best thing I've found. About $8 for a tube and you will get more applications per tube compared to the Scorpion Venom. Not as good as the S.V., but still pretty good, IMO.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I do not wax my Excalibur every 10 shots. More like every 100 shots.

Is that what is recommended from Excaliber? I think most recommend every 10 shots or so, to prolong string life. But if you don't have any problems, cool! Is Excaliber a subsidiary of Mathews, and or Weatherby????......grin.

• Like 1

Is that what is recommended from Excaliber? I think most recommend every 10 shots or so, to prolong string life. But if you don't have any problems, cool! Is Excaliber a subsidiary of Mathews, and or Weatherby????......grin.

I guess it depends on how much you shoot. I take only a few shots at a time. I switch out the string every 2-3 years, so I only wax once a year. Excalibur is a recurve (no cams), so it's easy to swap strings out yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, grampy said:

The Limbsaver rail lube is the next best thing I've found. About $8 for a tube and you will get more applications per tube compared to the Scorpion Venom. Not as good as the S.V., but still pretty good, IMO.

$8 at amazon looks decent!

Around here a local guy makes this arrow lube called woodys that's good stuff. Seems like it's last a while. Comes in a glue stick size jar with pad applicator and cover. Wonder if that'd work For rails? Don't have a crossbow to test over time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk