Advice From The Experts

DirtTime

We are catering our own wedding next year. Will be buying a smoker in the next few weeks ( propane ) as the menu is going to be smoked boneless chicken breast and smoked beef i-round.

My question is with the beef, can I smoke it in tin a pan so I can use any juice that drips off for an aujeu?

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

i have a charcoal water smoker you know the upright one from brinkmans and that has a pan you put water or wine or apple juice in it sits between the coals and the rack the meat sits on i made an au jus from that just kept adding water . google steve raichlens project smoke or bbq university hes the man for smoking meat and i think he has a blog or something you can ask him a question

15 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I think TurkeyFeathers has experience smoking nuts. That may be a good idea as a snack or parting gift for guests. Just an idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good idea Biz

Rob, sauté some raw almonds or raw cashews in butter in a skillet on the stove, sprinkle dry rub ( I've used a bunch but most recently Dizzy Pig coffee rub) and stir it in and do this a few times. Only need to sautee (use lots of butter) for say 10 minutes but keep stirring them as they'll burn quickly. Throw in a metal collindar or make a tinfoil boat and poke a bunch of holes in it to allow the smoke to permeate the nuts. They're best served warm so time it right or have done ahead of time and warm them back up in oven.. I usually smoke them for an hour to two or so. I've had a lot of people try them and all really enjoyed them.

Edited by turkeyfeathers
  • Like 1

Put the meat on the rack and place the pan on the rack beneath to catch the drippings. I would not put the meat in the liquid to smoke. 

I don't think there will be much au jus to work with after a long slow smoke. Plus too much smoke flavor is not always great. Smoked au jus might be a little much. 

Edited by Doewhacker
Added thought
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Good idea Biz

Rob, sauté some raw almonds or raw cashews in butter in a skillet on the stove, sprinkle dry rub ( I've used a bunch but most recently Dizzy Pig coffee rub) and stir it in and do this a few times. Only need to sautee (use lots of butter) for say 10 minutes but keep stirring them as they'll burn quickly. Throw in a metal collindar or make a tinfoil boat and poke a bunch of holes in it to allow the smoke to permeate the nuts. They're best served warm so time it right or have done ahead of time and warm them back up in oven.. I usually smoke them for an hour to two or so. I've had a lot of people try them and all really enjoyed them.

I can't do nuts for the wedding. I have to smoke everything the day before as we aren't taking the smoker with us, no room for it. BUT!! I sure will be making these for us right here at home. Always made me hungry when you posted pics, especially the almonds!

Ever add some hot spice like cayenne to them?

1 hour ago, Doewhacker said:

Put the meat on the rack and place the pan on the rack beneath to catch the drippings. I would not put the meat in the liquid to smoke. 

I don't think there will be much au jus to work with after a long slow smoke. Plus too much smoke flavor is not always great. Smoked au jus might be a little much. 

I never thought about how smoky the au jus would become. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. Much appreciated.

• Like 2

Haven't tried adding cayenne but have used a hot n sweet rub abs they were really good. Keep in mind you could smoke them before and if you have a way to reheat ( oven ) you're golden. Pretty sure I'll have some cashews and something else on the smoker tomorrow

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Any of you smoker gurus drink whiskey too? I hear smoking water and making ice cubes out of the water makes a good whiskey on the rocks.

Not a whiskey guy anymore. Never heard of that Jeremy, but might work. Sure would make your freezer smell smokey.

Totally agree that after about 2 hours meat won't take any more smoke. For home consumption for you rob. Buy a pork butt / shoulder ( same thing ). Trim excess fat , light coat of yellow mustard ( it cooks off and can't taste it ) dry rub it. Smoke for 2 hours , throw in crockpot , add one beer and cook overnight on low. Bone will pull out with tongs. Stir and it's shredded. Add BBQ sauce of choice upon serving, make some slaw , good rolls. And enjoy. So easy. House smells so good in morning. I've had in crockpot for up to 23 hours. So tender.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Totally agree that after about 2 hours meat won't take any more smoke. For home consumption for you rob. Buy a pork butt / shoulder ( same thing ). Trim excess fat , light coat of yellow mustard ( it cooks off and can't taste it ) dry rub it. Smoke for 2 hours , throw in crockpot , add one beer and cook overnight on low. Bone will pull out with tongs. Stir and it's shredded. Add BBQ sauce of choice upon serving, make some slaw , good rolls. And enjoy. So easy. House smells so good in morning. I've had in crockpot for up to 23 hours. So tender.

Everything I have read and watches says a pork shoulder/butt is the best way to cut your teeth in. I will doing that often. Funny you said that as at first I wanted to do pulled pork with the chicken breast. Then got to thinking, pork and chicken.....Nope, want red meat with the chicken.

Wanted to do brisket, but after doing some research, reheating in the chafing pans we bought might make it more like pulled beef then sliced. So, i-round roasts it is.

Gonna use a lot of propane tanks this winter trying different things. Looking forward to it though.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ....rob said:

We are catering our own wedding next year. Will be buying a smoker in the next few weeks ( propane ) as the menu is going to be smoked boneless chicken breast and smoked beef i-round.

My question is with the beef, can I smoke it in tin a pan so I can use any juice that drips off for an aujeu?

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

Hey Rob, I'm no expert but I do smoke.  I would say you can't smoke it in a pan.  The pan will block too much of the smoke.  Usually you'll smoke to a certain color or temp and then either put in a pan or wrap.  It would be tasty, you just wouldn't have a lot of smoke flavor.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Taylormike said:

Hey Rob, I'm no expert but I do smoke.  I would say you can't smoke it in a pan.  The pan will block too much of the smoke.  Usually you'll smoke to a certain color or temp and then either put in a pan or wrap.  It would be tasty, you just wouldn't have a lot of smoke flavor.

Appreciate the input. Already decided to just make the au jus on the side and add it the next day during the warming process. 

• Like 2

Going to experiment a lot. There's a ton of different chips out there these days. Like I mentioned, a lot of testing and seeing what works best with what meat. I'm not worried about brine/dry-brining, know how to do that. I make my own rubs from scratch 99% of the time.

But, I really lean towards woods like hickory, not too sweet.

Edited by ....rob
adding a flavor