Enough power for Rage

nybuckboy

I have always used Montec G5 fixed blade broad heads and taken a few bucks with them.  Last year at the urging of my son in law, I decided to try Rage Hypos 2 blade 100 gr.  Question I am shooting a Mathews Halon 6 w/28" at 56 lbs and 403 grain arrow weight at 10% FOC.  Is this enough for a Rage expandable?

EDIT NOTE: My arrow speed is about 285 with KE at 72.6 and momentum at .5095

Specs  IBO 345 FPS 70 lb with 350 gr, 30" arrow

Edited by nybuckboy

I shoot 56 lbs, 27" draw, 400 gr arrows.. very similar to your setup. First deer I shot last year, hit the shoulder (bad placement), knocked the deer down, but it got back up and walked off. Waited a while and tried to find it in the dark.. no dice. Looked again the next morning.. but no deer. That was shooting a Rage. We did find the arrow, it had fallen out or been rubbed out by the deer (I could see it was not a pass through, it was sticking out of the deer when it walked away.)  One of the blades was half deployed, the other not at all. 

Second deer I shot, the arrow went through a rib and nearly cut the spine in half. Deer went down and stayed down. That was shooting a G5 Montec fixed blade head. 

• Like 1

I am shooting 53#'s, 26 1/2" draw, 28" arrows, with a total arrow weight of  374.6grns with inserts, knocks, and fletching ( so the little scale I have says ). My bows IBO at max is 300FPS ( depending on what site you look at ). I have not shot through a crono, but I feel a mechanical would not perform well from my set up. That's just me

I have never trusted mechanical BH's. I know people rave about them, but IMO, there is already so much that can go wrong with just lining up the shot with a vert bow, adding another moving component to equation isn't worth the risk.

I have and always will shoot fixed blades, but not cut on contact. I am already dialed in for this year, but next year I will be switching to a cut on contact fixed blade. I have let more deer walk due to fear of a bad shot with the bow then I honestly care to talk about. If I am not 100% confident in the shot, I just won't take it. The last thing I need to add to that anxiety is a moving broadhead.

• Like 1

After shooting rage for a few years id suggest upping your arrow weight, i was 2/3 with them however if you hit shoulder blade your going to want that momentum, and KE will mean nothing. I shoot NAP sling blades which take less to open and can swivel around bone, 4/4 last year.

Elite energy 335 ibo (390 grain arrow 27.5 inch draw puts me around 285 fps.)

Edited by Hock3y24

Here's my input. I've killed deer with both fixed and mechanical heads. I shoot a 27 inch draw at 74 lbs and a 430 grain arrow. With your set up I would not suggest the Hypos. They are a great head but have a very steep blade angle and with your lighter draw and moderate arrow weight anything less than a perfect shot could result in poor penetration. Mechanical heads get a bad rap because you get these guys shooting 375 grain arrows thinking that FPS will push the arrow through and unless you have a 30 inch draw they couldn't be more wrong. I don't care how fast your arrow moves if you don't have the momentum, forget KE, momentum is king, you will not get consistent pass throughs with mechanical heads. Now even though I have more than enough energy to push a 2 inch head through a whitetail, I've always been a fan of 1 1/2 inch mechanicals. My ulmer edges were discontinued a few years back so now I shoot Rage Hypodermic +Ps. All steel construction, field point accuracy, plus the shorter blades and better angle are better for penetration. Those would be my suggestion for your set up if you are really dying to try a mechanical. If not stick with a fixed head, they've worked for years and kill deer just fine I still have a handful of G5 strikers that put down deer just as well as any two blade mechanical I've ever shot. 

• Like 1

I have always seen the mechanical blade broadheads as a Band-Aid for poorly matched equipment, or poor shooting form. Otherwise there really is not any reason to dump fixed blade broadheads in favor of something with bunches of moving parts and more options for failure.

However, I have to admit that there are some people who simply cannot seem to work out the shooting or equipment problems that send fixed blade heads going off with a mind of their own. When you have tried all else and are on the verge of giving up on bowhunting, the mechanicals are definitely a viable answer. But understand that you are paying a lot of money to open up another door to potential problems. To me it is a "last ditch" solution. It all reminds me of an old engineering adage. Additional parts in a design are a quality and reliability problem waiting to happen. And there is nothing in archery that negates that principle.

• Like 1

have shot mechanicals for last few years, grim reapers and rage.  Have had no issues with them.  Make a good shot and a field point would work.  But if a bad shot do you want penetration or expansion?  guess it depends if it was near the shoulder or the guts?  If i am hunting elk or moose I am cert hunting a fixed blade for longer shots and the bigger animal, want to be sure it gets thru a bigger animal and at low poundage of 50 or under would prob shoot fixed as well.  I think the advantage of the mechanicals is more the flight being more like a field point.  But if your shooting 50+ lbs and shoot within your effective range at a whitetail then either should be just fine. I dont do practice shots with the mechanicals as they always seem the same as my field points, but with fixed blade it seems i had to practice and sight in more for a difference from field points.  

7 hours ago, Hookhunter20 said:

Here's my input. I've killed deer with both fixed and mechanical heads. I shoot a 27 inch draw at 74 lbs and a 430 grain arrow. With your set up I would not suggest the Hypos. They are a great head but have a very steep blade angle and with your lighter draw and moderate arrow weight anything less than a perfect shot could result in poor penetration. Mechanical heads get a bad rap because you get these guys shooting 375 grain arrows thinking that FPS will push the arrow through and unless you have a 30 inch draw they couldn't be more wrong. I don't care how fast your arrow moves if you don't have the momentum, forget KE, momentum is king, you will not get consistent pass throughs with mechanical heads. Now even though I have more than enough energy to push a 2 inch head through a whitetail, I've always been a fan of 1 1/2 inch mechanicals. My ulmer edges were discontinued a few years back so now I shoot Rage Hypodermic +Ps. All steel construction, field point accuracy, plus the shorter blades and better angle are better for penetration. Those would be my suggestion for your set up if you are really dying to try a mechanical. If not stick with a fixed head, they've worked for years and kill deer just fine I still have a handful of G5 strikers that put down deer just as well as any two blade mechanical I've ever shot. 

I agree that momentum is probably a better indicator of penetration.  According to the calculators, my bow is around 44KE (slow) but momentum is over 51 (heavy arrow) and it provides plenty of pass through penetration.  That said, I only use fixed blade.  The hypos are great for blood trails for sure but I only use those with my heavy DW (82lb) compound.