Muzzle loader blow up

sbuff

Saw this online before.  I don't believe it was a double charge.  I think there was something obstructing the barrel, or the bullet wasn't fully seated on the powder.  I don't know what the guy did when he loaded it, but it surely wasn't done carefully.

Witness marks on the ramrod are a must IMHO.

Let's all be safe , use a witness mark and good luck to all this muzzle loader season.

i am pretty sure I heard he left the charge in in from last year . So if it's Remington ultimate that could be 400gr of powder !!! I don't  care what brand it is none can handle that charge .

I build my own muzzleloaders.  This sure make me nervous about cutting my own dovetails on the sights and barrel tennons.   these new muzzleloaders are down right nuts.  3 times the powder of a traditional one......  And the substitutes are higher pressure than traditional blackpowder......

Shot a 54 cal using roundballs monday...   75grs of FFFg goes blackpowder.  Gun and or user was a bit sloppy, maybe 1.5" groups.  I usually get around 3/4's of an inch at 100 yards.  Plenty good for me.....

Hope his hand heals ok.

About four years someone had a stuck breech plug and took their M/L to a local "gun smith" who dumped water down the barrel and stood it in the corner for a couple of days. Guess he figured the water would saturate the powder and render it useless. 

Next smart move to unscrew the plug was to clamp the rifle in a vise and heat the breech with a propane torch. Well, guess what happened next?

Yep; gun fired and blew a .50 caliber hole through the side of his shop and then into the neighbors house and law enforcement became involved. Thankfully no one was injured.

We as a hunting community need to be continually smart and safe. It's never good to be one the nightly news. :sorry:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/21/2017 at 4:58 PM, RobC said:

I never would of thought that not pushing the bullet all the way to the powder could be bad like someone early posted. Make sense with more space to build up pressure. I always made sure for accuracy though.

You would think a  modern  firearm would be made  designed to take abuse like that at least once .

• Like 1

I build smokeless muzzleloaders.  The Remington is NOT designed for smokeless powder, it is designed to take the pressure of 200 grains of Blackhorn 209 or any other black powder substitute.  The other thing that people need to be aware of is that bullet weight also plays a part in the pressure the barrel and breech plugs sees, not just the powder charge.

Back a while ago Savage (the only major manufacturer to design and build a smokeless muzzle loader) got a bad rap for some guns blowing up like this.  To my knowledge every one of those guns that blew up where either double loaded or overcharged.

The two main major issues that can happen with a muzzle loader is the double load, which most people are aware of and the double charge.  The double charge is where you are at the range and dump a charge down the barrel, then get distracted and dump another charge down the barrel.  Both of these issues can be caught by using a witness mark.  For everyone's safety, PLEASE use a witness mark!

Edited by Rack Attack
  • Like 1

On 9/27/2017 at 9:47 AM, Salmon_Run said:

About four years someone had a stuck breech plug and took their M/L to a local "gun smith" who dumped water down the barrel and stood it in the corner for a couple of days. Guess he figured the water would saturate the powder and render it useless. 

Next smart move to unscrew the plug was to clamp the rifle in a vise and heat the breech with a propane torch. Well, guess what happened next?

Yep; gun fired and blew a .50 caliber hole through the side of his shop and then into the neighbors house and law enforcement became involved. Thankfully no one was injured.

We as a hunting community need to be continually smart and safe. It's never good to be one the nightly news. :sorry:

Not that it is a good idea, I have seen guys use impact guns on the plugs before to get them out. He would have been better off having the guy shoot the gun then bring it back in.

Remington use smokless powder.. A double charge is 100x worse than a double charge in a regular muzzleloader. Most regular muzzleloader barrells are tested with 2x the max powder charge before the are used.. 
I've got a savage model 10 muzzleloader and read double loads could catastrophic in the gun.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk