Salmon River

chrisw

No Coho for me, did see a guy get a Steelie though! Mostly just Kings running right now it seems. It's a blast, especially being all fresh fish they are crazy strong and acrobatic. If you're interested in it just go up to Pulaski and watch the guys in the river, you'll be buying the gear in short order!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, chrisw said:

No Coho for me, did see a guy get a Steelie though! Mostly just Kings running right now it seems. It's a blast, especially being all fresh fish they are crazy strong and acrobatic. If you're interested in it just go up to Pulaski and watch the guys in the river, you'll be buying the gear in short order!

I know absolutely nothing about nothing about fishing for these, but damn if this didn't just rocket up my To Do list!  Great haul right there!  What's the best way for a total n00b to do this and where to go in NY?

The steelies should start coming in heavy in a week or two. Coho are one of my favorite fish to catch in that river (besides steelhead) and they taste much better than a king. Never hooked a fresh king like that, but I hear they fight amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know absolutely nothing about nothing about fishing for these, but damn if this didn't just rocket up my To Do list!  Great haul right there!  What's the best way for a total n00b to do this and where to go in NY?

Do a little research online about the gear you'll want/need and from there the river will teach you! There's certainly a learning curve, but once you hook a 25lb fish in rapids you'll be hooked.

• Like 1

That does seem like it would be cool to catch them in a shallow river, especially during the week when you do not have to fight the crowds.   We hooked into a few big kings out on the open lake over the last few weeks and their speed was amazing.  The younger folks reeled all of them in, but I did finally get to enjoy an "aerial battle" from a good steelhead last week.  I was hoping to get out one last time this morning, but the neighbor kid has to work, so it is not going to happen.  Oh well, it is time to put the boat away for the winter and get the deer stands and blinds ready anyhow.    

It was definitely a great day, non stop hookups, it'll only get better now! Unfortunately I don't really chase salmon after deer season starts, but damn it's fun!

That's he reason I only go for like 4 or 5 days one weekend a year. I always say I want to go up for steelhead in the beginning of novemer, but I can't pull myself away from the rut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I am a huge saltwater fisherman and have been invited up to Salmon river a few times, but by then i'm gearing up for hunting season.  Unfortunately I have to sell our boat, since we just bought a house here in Westchester, so i'm going to be doing my fare share of freshwater next year.  I have a few buddies who make the trip up to the Salmon river.   Those are all gorgeous fish!