Last Night It Hurt.........

Lawdwaz

Last night I shot my bow in the basement as I have been now for a few weeks.  Each time I shoot I have some pain in both arms/elbows and am restricting myself to just 4-6 shots as the pain sucks.......

Last night I wanted to swap off to my back up release; it's the same "release" just a different strap/harness.  Well let me tell you, I was in horrible pain!  I ended up taking two shots (dumb ass) as I couldn't believe how the first one hurt!  The most severe pain came from somewhere in my right elbow.  Wow, it felt like some thing was shredding......

I thought, OK, I'll just mothball the bow until about the 10-12 of October then shoot for a few days and then start hunting.  Heck, I really just limit my shots to inside of 20 yards and most are around 13 yards anyways........pretty sobering to say the least that I had this horrible pain and I wasn't going to be able to practice as much as I'd like and it was going to delay my season.

24 hours later.......after a craft brew in a can, I had the brilliant idea to head to the basement and crank one off.  (no you idiots.....NOT that)

6 shots later with my main #1 release and it was 95% pain free......YEA!!!!!  So at this point for the most part I'd blame different hand placement with the different release strap as the reason for the pain.  For now I'd say I'm back on track for an early start. :)

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 9

10 minutes ago, growalot said:

Just be careful. For if you had that much pain just switching releases...there may be an underlying cause getting ready to surface.

I'm sure there is growie. I've had issues since spring and I know how I hurt the right arm/elbow.  It'd be a comp issue for people that DON'T work for a friend. Ugh :(

Pain like that is your body telling the brain, somethings not right here, dont do that. Before my shoulder surgery, for at least three years, it really hurt to shoot. Could not hold full draw longer than a few seconds. Four and a half months after surgery, I'm back to that point again! But with no more ripping and tearing feeling. And can only shoot 3 to 4 arrows a session. Only need to make one count though. What ever it is, that's bothering you Law, listen to your body, and don't over do it. Maybe right after the season, a talk with your Doc would be in order? Hope it feels better and you get through the season.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, grampy said:

Pain like that is your body telling the brain, somethings not right here, dont do that. Before my shoulder surgery, for at least three years, it really hurt to shoot. Could not hold full draw longer than a few seconds. Four and a half months after surgery, I'm back to that point again! But with no more ripping and tearing feeling. And can only shoot 3 to 4 arrows a session. Only need to make one count though. What ever it is, that's bothering you Law, listen to your body, and don't over do it. Maybe right after the season, a talk with your Doc would be in order? Hope it feels better and you get through the season.

Thanks Dave......For the past 25 years I've had all kinds of hurt going on and I've been awful lucky.  No surgery but it's been offered by the doc's a few times.  When I owned my business I couldn't afford to be laid up and out of work.  Somehow with some creative measures by those same DR's and some terrific PT I've avoided the knife.  I think and hope I can live with this but we'll see how it is in January. 

Last I checked I could buy a (GULP/UGH/OH CRAP NO) xbow at a moments notice if I had to. :)

I won't over do it.........promise.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I would never condone this for hunting but it sounds like you need a craft beer prior to shooting- that was the TRUE variable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You my friend have hit on the subliminal point of the post.  Nice going...... :)

15 minutes ago, Steve D said:

:training:

Steve......I have two stretchy things; one in the basement hanging from a floor joist and one in the bedroom.  At least once a day I yank on either one or both of them to stretch things out.  Guess what, neither one causes any pain! Figures........

48 minutes ago, crappyice said:

I would never condone this for hunting but it sounds like you need a craft beer prior to shooting- that was the TRUE variable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking the same thing.  Was it one of those 8.5 % or so types ?  If so, that could explain the "feeling no pain".   I would try it again in a couple days without the beer first.  If the pain comes back, I would get a crossbow with a hand crank draw device and use that this season (you still get the peak of the rut), then consider surgery after Christmas.  If something is torn in there, pushing it might make it worse.   A few weeks of missed archery season is a small price to pay in the long run.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I was thinking the same thing.  Was it one of those 8.5 % or so types ? 

No, not that strong.  4.5% I think........my boss bought me a 4pk at Woodcock Bros Brewery in Wilson Tuesday night and gave it to me Wednesday.  I kept it in the fridge at work all day.........it is their amber ale they call "Red Head".  I really like it........could be medicinal even. :)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

No, not that strong.  4.5% I think........my boss bought me a 4pk at Woodcock Bros Brewery in Wilson Tuesday night and gave it to me Wednesday.  I kept it in the fridge at work all day.........it is their amber ale they call "Red Head".  I really like it........could be medicinal even. :)

I opened a case of Genny Scotch Ale last night that had been aging for over a year down on the basement floor.  (They were selling the leftovers after last year's Octoberfest for $10 a case).  It was 8.5 % when bottled but tasted like a smooth 10 - 12 % now.   I was not feeling much pain after one of those.