GF season is over ....lol

Robhuntandfish

My wife has never hunted a day in her life. But she has supported my meager attempts at it for almost 40 years. Her and my hunting partners wife, call themselves widows, and converse through the season. Every year she says, "you claim to see all these big bucks, but you never bring one home"! If I bring home a three year old eight point she says, "it's a baby". Well this year I'll show her!!!.......................grin.

• Like 3

My wife is getting better about it every year. At first she thought it was cool that I was a hunter and a guide, until she was with me for a full season and realized how much time and money I commit. First few years was a little rough with her but she's finally getting broke in lol.

When I told her I wanted to go to Nebraska for 2 weeks this year she only responded with "for how long" rather than "um we will have to talk about it". Steps in the right direction! Lol.

• Like 2

Funny, I was just explaining to my GF its not gonna be like summer time in October/November, wasn't a happy lady hearing that but I think she understands for the most part my obsession with hunting, she just looks at me like I'm crazy whenever I talk about anything hunting related, For the married guys, how do you explain your great escape every fall, any advice for the newbie? 

My wife is right out there with me, I did work her into it slowly, first a bow and 3-d then sitting with me in the woods, to finally shooting a deer. She's been hunting with me for several years now, she loves hunting and shooting just as much as I..

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Drew2255 said:

Funny, I was just explaining to my GF its not gonna be like summer time in October/November, wasn't a happy lady hearing that but I think she understands for the most part my obsession with hunting, she just looks at me like I'm crazy whenever I talk about anything hunting related, For the married guys, how do you explain your great escape every fall, any advice for the newbie

Best way i explained it to her was when she gets up on stage to sing her hearts bounding smiling from ear to ear that big note comes for her to hit and she nails it. All the butterflies and emotions she gets afterwards.  Thats how i get wether a record book buck was to step out or a little button buck.   To wait a full year(s) for that one heart pounding moment seemed to make her understand a little bit.  She still gets annoyed listening about it though.

My wife also does not hunt but enjoys venison just as much as me.  Well, maybe slightly less because she also likes chicken and turkey, which I would rather do without.  She is a great cook and no one has ever been able to tell that they were not eating beef with any of her venison dishes.  Both of our girls also love the venison, with tacos being their favorite dish.  She encourages me to hunt and really appreciates the health benefits and cost savings of venison compared to store-bought meat.  

She is never happier than when I bring home a button buck, but she is saddened a bit when I bring home a heavy antlered buck that will require a taxidermy bill.   Back before we were married, she loved the big shoulder mount that I gave her for her birthday, to decorate her apartment.  She even named it - butch.  Now days, she can always find something better to do with $500 or so.   I usually hope for a 2-1/2 year old buck now, so I can get away with a "free" power-washer euro-mount and a good compromise of quantity and quality meat.

The fact that she loves venison is one of the things I like best about her and I feel sorry for you guys who's wives and girlfriend's do not.   Another fine feature she came with, is a folks that love the Adirondacks and chose to move there after they retired.  Her mom is also a fine cook and how great it is to always have free food and lodging when I visit the northern zone.   The scenery is so spectacular up there that a spike buck would be worth more to me than a big 8-point from home (I have not killed less than a six up there yet though, and probably will not).  My wife is a critical part of my hunting season, and it would be a lot less than half of what it is now without her.  

• Like 1

My wife is not a hunter but enjoys the venison especially the venison bologna. She understands how much hunting means to me and my son and has never complained about how much I hunt. I always tell her she's lucky I only deer hunt and that the season is only 2 1/2 months long. She enjoys her alone time curling up with a good book.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

19 hours ago, erussell said:

Image may contain: 1 person, meme and text

That would be me....If you guys think you have problems her birthday is Nov. 7th and our anniversary is the 16th. We always work it out but it is a struggle every year.

Luckily for me she realizes in one form or another it doesn't end until the end of March the following year and has pretty much gotten use to it. From April to Oct it is pretty much all about her. :kissing:

Anniversary Nov 4th shot this buck on it last year , best anniversary ever.

At the start of bow she says " see you around Christmas"  . Generally  take her to dinner for our anniversary sometime in Jan if it's not snowing hard .

She's a lucky woman !

image.jpeg

image.jpg

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 3