Jawbone Aging Education & Quiz

Culvercreek was my inspiration as he did one before. Im just now getting around to do it though. In light of DEC plugging voluntary passing of young bucks. I think it's an absolute failure, unless you have the info and tools to gauge how your doing with your harvests compared to your expectations or goals. Jawbone aging is one tool to use. I have and will be getting enough jawbones panel aged by both QDM veterans and whitetail biologists to post forever. Here's a helpful links:

http://extension.missouri.edu/p/G9484

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/deeragingny.pdf

https://www.qdma.com/video-jawbone-aging-part-1-tooth-replacement/

https://www.qdma.com/video-jawbone-aging-part-2-tooth-wear/

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I thought they also looked at their front teeth wear as well, not just molars.

I agree very young 1 or less, for the same reason as above the teeth are in great shape

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

Front center two incisors can be pulled. Sent out to one of two labs in country. They cross section the root, die it, and count cementum deposit rings on the tooth under a microscope and age it like the rings on a tree. Results of that test can vary but from deer here in N.Y. that experience harsher winters and are not supplementally fed all year the results are exceptional. With the report from the lab we use they even give a letter grade on how confident they could come to a result. Another method than this one, but works great to back check this method by sending in a random sampling and comparing the two ages to see if they are the same. We use Matson lab same as other state wildlife agencies. Hope post wasn't too long.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, growalot said:

Back not fully erupted,3 cuspids and less than 6 teeth...

grow has it.  not all the teeth are grown in yet, indicating it's less than 1.5 yrs old and a fawn.  first step count the teeth in which some will have multiple cusps. it should have 3 premolars and then 3 molars, for a total of 6 teeth to indicate it's an adult.  then we have tooth replacement and then wear. i'll post another later to get things moving and more interesting as not too many hunt fawns.

Edited by dbHunterNY
  • Like 1

In all fairness there shouldve been some disclosure the last three molars are washed out from flash appearing brighter than they are. The ones screwed to the educational board have been bleached a little from the sun also. Heres the point. Deer died late in the season. That said in person the first 3 teeth are pearly white compared the last 3. Also on the last back molar and on the front 3 pre-molars there's no wear. Right is the front and left is the back. No dentine lines exist on the lingual (tongue side) crests. Many 1.5 yr old deer will still have a 3 cusp (section) 3rd premolar but not all. This deer just replaced those front pre-molars.

The deer is 1.5 yrs old.

Here's a good one I shot last year. 

IMG_3884.JPG

IMG_3885.JPG

Definitely in the teens for age and considered very old for a doe. I assume it was a doe. Those are the ones to pull center two incisors on and send in. From management stand point and using this method you'd just say 8.5+. it'd be just old and that's good enough. It's still very cool info to have a more exact age though.

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

Definitely in the teens for age and considered very old for a doe. I assume it was a doe. Those are the ones to pull center two incisors on and send in. From management stand point and using this method you'd just say 8.5+. it'd be just old and that's good enough. It's still very cool info to have a more exact age though.

I was debating sending it in but funds are just tough right now to do it with. Yes it was a doe.

I do need to get better at aging by teeth. IT is something id like to learn. Though typically i know how old most of my deer are through history but, deer are deer and roam when the timing is right, and the occasional new buck shows up. I was gonna guess, a fawn for first jawbone, and a 2.5 for 2nd jawbone. all teeth are in and i thought at 1.5 they lose a molar? 

LEG..I agree with you though he has the jaw bones ...the only exceptions and I believe Bowshots QDM video clearly shows is if 3 cuspid tooth has the adult form coming up under it.. 1 1/2...or if it has been replaced very recently and the new tooth is very crisp or sharp...I do not see any real sharpness to that adult molar this said I understand this all depends on when the deer was born   and it is the exception not the rule if it actually was a 1 1/2 yr old...So I am still thinking 2 1/2.

2 hours ago, growalot said:

LEG..I agree with you though he has the jaw bones ...the only exceptions and I believe Bowshots QDM video clearly shows is if 3 cuspid tooth has the adult form coming up under it.. 1 1/2...or if it has been replaced very recently and the new tooth is very crisp or sharp...I do not see any real sharpness to that adult molar this said I understand this all depends on when the deer was born   and it is the exception not the rule if it actually was a 1 1/2 yr old...So I am still thinking 2 1/2.

The QDMA videos are very good but sometimes going by dentine width alone can be tough with widths close so it helps to look at other things if you're on the fence between two ages.  they only really touch on dentine width as that's the factor you should be looking at first and foremost.  the second deer jaw photo has the lingual crests on the first and second molars (3rd and 4th teetth back) chipped.  that's something else you have to watch out for.  more coming.  trying to take the best photos i can with my phone.

Edited by dbHunterNY