Who's Ready ?

Salmon_Run

I'm ready. The camp might not work out for the NZ. But...... I have alternatives!

Weather for close to home looks promising temps will drop out form those 80's/90's to mid 60's. for opening day. Humidity level will drop. The heat we have going on is the long distance effects of Hurricane Jose. He will be out of the picture starting Tuesday night. Humidity here has already started dropping.

AccuWeather

Weather Dot Com.

• Like 1

There will be no vertical bow hunting for me again this year, but I am almost ready for my first day of crossbow hunting up in the Northern zone a few weeks from today .  I just need to mend the serving a little bit on my string and lube the rail after three practice shots with it yesterday.  It was hitting right where I wanted it at 20, 35, and 45 yards.  After a day up there with that, my ML is all set for the next day and a half, of a long weekend up at my in-laws place in the Adirondacks.  I should be ready for any weather conditions, with a new pop-up blind I just bought and the tree umbrella that I picked up last year.

We should still have a little more than one deer left in the freezer, by the time of that trip, including plenty of grind, so a buck would need to be at least a solid 2.5 year old for me to use a tag on that trip.  I would be very thankful to fill my antlerless tag again, with a 1-1/2 year old doe, like I was able to do last year.  I had planned on staying up there thru the opening weekend of gun season last year.  The weather got so bad, that I came home early with my ML doe, and never even took my rifle out of the case.

I will not hunt deer at home in the Southern zone this year until crossbow opens, so I still have plenty of time to get things ready here.  Hopefully I can trim up some shooting lanes around all of my stands at home this weekend, and over at my folks place next weekend. The food plots are all looking very good. I am going to be a bit more selective with my buck tag up north, because the neighbors have seen a few nice ones running around at home that would be nice to tag.  All I have seen at our place is does though, but they should be my "ace in the hole" when crossbow season opens at the peak of the rut.  I did see a nice 2-1/2 year buck over at my folks place a few weeks ago that I would love to get a tag on.             

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

Damn, a couple of my "aces" just stepped out of a sanctuary area, into a WW/clover plot, and eyeballed me for a while as I was trimming a shooting lane from one of my blinds.  Hopefully, they have short memories.  It looked like an old doe and a 1-1/2, probably her last year's fawn.    

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tughill Tamer said:

I'm ready are early bow starts on the 27th but the weather that day is calling for around 80 so I will prably wait till Thursday when the high is supposed to drop down in the mid 60s.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Nolt's  in Lowville has a nice big cooler that they can get them into pretty fast if need be.  The temperature was up in the eighties during early ML last year and I ran one over there.  They did a great job of cutting it up, for a great price compared to the highway robbers down here in the southern zone.

• Like 1

I'm not ready.

1) No hunting license (rectifying tonight)
2) Haven't re-zeroed my ever-shifting peep with my hunting arrows (will this week)
3) Haven't cleaned my hunting gear, let dry, then Sawyered it (will this week)

My shooting volume is massively lower than last year. However, what shooting I have done shows me back up to nearly top-form in just a few sessions. I'm grouping well and the bow is pulling back well.

I've done zero scouting and hung no cameras, but this year I have access to what I believe is a spectacular property, and my friend who lives there already has identified the good spots (plus he doesn't bow-hunt!). There are some ladder stands all setup, but the drive is a monster (over an hour each way).