Going in again/Canada video

Robin

The canoe weighs about 63 lbs, it's a wood canvas Chestnut Chum. Chestnut went out of business in the late 70's iirc but they made a lot of Chums 15' by 32" at the gunnels. I went to Nova Scotia to buy this one, but they do come up on Craigslist now and then. 

Man that’s a beaut. My handle here is probably a giveaway but I’m a fan. Used to guide in wood/canvas boats up in Canada and paddled a handful of classic Chestnuts and Peterboroughs. There’s a builder near Huntsville, ON that owns some of the molds from those two companies and makes gorgeous recreations. Better-than-original type stuff. An old guiding buddy and I️ actually raced one in the Adirondack 90-Miler a few years ago, not as fast as a kevlar Bell but we got a lot of style points. That 30-30 looks right at home across the gunwales!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/11/2017 at 9:01 AM, Cedar+Canvas said:

Man that’s a beaut. My handle here is probably a giveaway but I’m a fan. Used to guide in wood/canvas boats up in Canada and paddled a handful of classic Chestnuts and Peterboroughs. There’s a builder near Huntsville, ON that owns some of the molds from those two companies and makes gorgeous recreations. Better-than-original type stuff. An old guiding buddy and I️ actually raced one in the Adirondack 90-Miler a few years ago, not as fast as a kevlar Bell but we got a lot of style points. That 30-30 looks right at home across the gunwales!

Thanks. A guy  here in Norfolk, Ct., Schuyler Thomson, restores wc canoes, he taught me alot. He used to race with a narrow 18' wood canvas canoe on the Housatonic River. Him and his partner would show up with penny loafers, pressed khakis, white ss shirts with a tie and fool everyone as they where really strong paddlers and that narrow 18'er was really fast , They won their class often. 

Where did you paddle in Canada?  Temagami?

Thanks. A guy  here in Norfolk, Ct., Schuyler Thomson, restores wc canoes, he taught me alot. He used to race with a narrow 18' wood canvas canoe on the Housatonic River. Him and his partner would show up with penny loafers, pressed khakis, white ss shirts with a tie and fool everyone as they where really strong paddlers and that narrow 18'er was really fast , They won their class often. 
Where did you paddle in Canada?  Temagami?

I️ was home-based at a camp in Algonquin but we took trips as far north as James Bay, east out into Quebec and west out into Superior. Spent many many days taking trips through Temagami area. Lady Evelyn, Obabika, Temagami River was a pretty common two-week trip for us. We’d also use the Montreal River up there. Classic canoe tripping. If we got the right wind on those long lakes we used to pontoon the boats together and run tent flies up as sails from the bow haha. How’d you make out up in Low’s area?

Thanks,  all of my trips have been solo, as far west as Woodland Caribou PP and some crown land 100 miles north of rt 11 in western Ontario east to LaVerendrye in Quebec and a lot in between. 

It was too warm to hunt at Lows but even if it was cold my age/health has caught up to me. I'm planning a base camp canoe trip next spring without any portages,  on a remote lake in western Ontario where the fishing is good and the firewood plenty.

• Like 1

Thanks,  all of my trips have been solo, as far west as Woodland Caribou PP and some crown land 100 miles north of rt 11 in western Ontario east to LaVerendrye in Quebec and a lot in between. 
It was too warm to hunt at Lows but even if it was cold my age/health has caught up to me. I'm planning a base camp canoe trip next spring without any portages,  on a remote lake in western Ontario where the fishing is good and the firewood plenty.

As Bill Mason once put it “anyone who says they like portaging is either crazy, or a liar.” I’m a dude who’s humped a lot of miles with a canoe on my back and it sounds like your plans are ideal! Never been in to Lows, but your video looks lovely. think I may drag my pops out next summer when the black flies mellow out.