2017 HuntingNY Archery Harvest Thread

WNYBuckHunter

Took another slickhead, she was with a spike. Crap shot caught liver and tracked her after 4 hours. Dead right by the creek where i thought she would be. Time to wait on a big buck now that my freezer is pretty full.

7E915574-1987-4DF7-83D3-9427DE8A7C0D.jpeg

Edited by Hock3y24
  • Like 39

Bought some of that Evercalm stuff and tried it for the first time after hearing of some good luck on here. Had this doe come in and bed down very close for a while. She got up to move to the field and I double lunged her at about 20 yards. She went about 80-100 yards, got wobbly and tipped over in sight. Cool hunt.

IMG_2340.JPG

• Like 39

Big doe at 7:30 this morn. Shot her and wasn't totally sure but thought it was a good one. So I sat in stand and an hour later another doe and a buck right up her rear end sniffing.  I stood up and he went away front the doe and to the left and never saw him again. The doe walked around my stand for half hour. Pee'd in the trail and I thought for sure he would come over.  So after like 3 hours I could finally get down and went to where arrow was. I see what might have buggered him .  Blood everywhere. So I look up and at 40 yards is my doe dead.  Heart punch !!  She was dead in 30 seconds.

Got two freezer queens. Now it's time to hunt for one with some horns! 

IMG_20171025_104107144.jpg

• Like 33

Not the big guy....but still feels good to feed the family with a bow and arrow..
4 deer went by me just before sun up
Then 30 minutes later he came following a doe....grunting behind her the whole way......i couldn't get her to stop...but he did....dropped insight...awesome..b5134916f682371613bb8cdf369e63a8.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 43

Shot this guy Saturday morning. Unfortunately wound up bumping him 3 separate times throughout the day. Mind you these three bumps were spread over 12 hrs if not more. Finally found him today. After 3 long days of tracking and searching. Will post only thw pictures I took from my driveway as the picture for how I found him is not so pretty. The coyotes by me did a number and he was nearly picked clean. I was really hoping to donate this deer to the hungry. Unfortunately my next two deer will have to suffice. Without further adieu my buck from 3s51970d94896baa206941106856122a83.jpg606f3db940cd6d5ee203eaa9642a5bc7.jpg915ca458495ad5b1a77ef168aefa9163.jpg54cee9050348cbf857eb64020b2b72ac.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 30

So, the morning start was not ideal. Wife forgot to set her alarm so it was already light, and after 7 am when I got up. It was windy and raining so I decided against a hunt.

Suddenly the wind dropped and the rain abated. I stepped outside and the air felt good. I wondered if the rains all through the night meant deer would be late getting going. I hurriedly dressed and hit the same stand I have hunted all weekend, along a rub and scrape line and with camera data showing daylight Bucks, morning and afternoon.

I got into the stand and could see the leaf litter around was disturbed. I figured it was too late and I had missed the action, 8:30 am by this point. I needed to go number 2 real bad, and so hobbled over to a creek nearby and sat on a downed tree going across it. It snapped just as I was finishing up and I went tumbling into the creek water and got a very wet arm. I figured this was a sign and was planning to head back in.

As I passed the stand I decided to give it one more half hour. It was about 9:30 by this point. I got into a daze, thinking and talking to myself and looking in the wrong direction. For some reason I looked back over my shoulder, and there he was at 20 yards making to walk right past me, just as cameras had indicated he might. I barley had time to grab the bow, turn 270 degrees with him as he passed, all the while trying to catch my d-loop and failing. Panic set in, I was not going to be ready. I just managed to draw back before he entered the last shooting lane opportunity at 15 yards, and I don't remember letting loose. What I do remember is the horrifying sight of seeing my arrow buried in his rump.He had picked up the pace as he passed by. I should have bleated.

Blood spurted but he darted on although looking very wounded and limpy. I was crushed. I figured I was going to have a stalk, track and finish adventure. He stopped at 50 yards, lay down and stopped moving. After a few minutes there was a little more movement. I decided he was hurt and I needed to get down and finish things. I came around behind and downwind of him but as I got to about 25 yards it seemed like it was over. I got to 15 yards, drew back and made some noise. He didn't budge. I knew it was over and I had gotten very lucky...very lucky indeed. I went back and tracked the blood. It was heavy and bubbly. I found the arrow and I had gotten decent penetration. I had obviously hit his femoral artery. All in all I'd say things started and ended in less than 8 minutes but those minutes watching him down lasted a lifetime while I feverishly calculated the best plan.

It was a big disappointment to have made such a crappy shot based on me being distracted and rushing a shot I probably should never have taken and was not ready to take. Lesson learned. I will be frosty in the future when I know Bucks are using an area, as was the case here. 

Happy to have filled my bow tag however, given the inclement and odd weather we have been enjoying. I am handing the property over to my neighbor for gun season. My mission is to help him get a nice Buck. I don't feel the need for another deer just yet myself.

HUNTNY02.jpg

HUNTNY03.jpg

Edited by Papist
  • Like 41

Guess I have to repeat the rules of this thread...

Post up pics of your 2017 archery season deer here!

Only pictures with the associated story will be allowed in this thread. If you want to congratulate someone, please do it by clicking on the "like this" button for the post. There will be no exceptions.

• Like 4

got this guy last Saturday out looking for does.  he was the third good buck I had seen that morning all between 9 and 10:30. came in behind me stopped in a shooting lane at 27 yards.  I made a good heart shot and saw him go down after about a 50 yard run. not the best picture to show his size, he was 18 inches inside.

buck 11-4-17.jpg

• Like 30

What a great day, I’ve seen 40 yes 40 deer in the last 3 sits. Sit in pa about 1030 pm and immediate have bucks chasing does everywhere till about 2 pm then silent. 4 pm same thing starts again, a nice 7 pops out 200 yards away then chases a doe. This 10 comes out pissed of and chased off the 7 and followed the doe. Noting his aggression I smashed some antlers together and watched his reaction through the Binocs, he was pissed. Came on a rope to me and stopped at 40 yards. My longest bow kill ever gets me my biggest buck ever with a double lung shot. 

3E7C14EE-98D2-4BEC-8802-E68C96897309.jpeg

21476EDF-0E41-41BD-97B9-BC5CAB2BC259.jpeg

• Like 35