2017 HuntingNY Archery Harvest Thread

WNYBuckHunter

Post up pics of your 2017 archery season deer here!

Only pictures with the associated story will be allowed in this thread. If you want to congratulate someone, please do it by clicking on the "like this" button for the post. There will be no exceptions.

Feel free to start a new thread if you wish to have comments in addition to posting the photo / story here.

• Like 3

I had to use my buck tag but I'm alright with it he was probably a deer another guy on the property wounded as a spike last season, he has a scar on his right front leg.

Went to a tried-and-true early stand on public property this morning was hearing a ton of snorting all up and down the ridge before light.

This is a very thick area with only a few lanes and a lot of immature beach still fully greened out at deer head height.

Around 7:10 I caught a ear flick than a tail flick about 25 yards out front of me in dense thicket.  

Assumed it was a decent buck as it was alone and good bodied.  But as it approached within 10 yards I could not spot antlers and the head, eyes and ears seemed big.

I drew twice on the deer and both times held forever as he hesitated to go through my lane.  

At this point it was only brown rectangle passing close to my lane I could no longer see the head and thought mature lone doe and released.

520 grains 200 upfront went through the shoulder and out the lower ribcage.  He bounded 10 yards, looked around and fell over.

Was initially disappointed with antler but quickly turned the attitude around when I noticed the body size.

1/1 w/the new APA Mamba Air TF and 6mm FMJ Strickland Helix combo. 1st 10/1 deer.

IMG_0525.thumb.PNG.95f5e63b229146dc70f0682e3733c814.PNG

Edited by OtiscoPaul
  • Like 40

Opening day success was never so sweet for a young hunter!  3 months into his first season of archery and hunting on his first day out he connects from my stand!   Was passing those spike bucks last year worth it, hell yea!   Now this young hunter is hooked and hopefully will have many more years of success!  The smile says it all!   Congratulations John! 

IMG_1227.JPG

IMG_1228.JPG

IMG_1230.JPG

• Like 46

Well after a crappy morning hitting one in the brisket and stomping all over my small urban hunting area looking for her i was not expecting much this evening but knew that deer are all over here. 530 pm i have 3 does coming up from down wind of me... not good. They have no clue i'm there and the constant noise of people driving by and getting home from work keeps them distracted. All three start feeding on my clover mix 20 yards in from of me and i have plenty of time to pick my shot, quartering away 20 yards.. smacked her, drilled opposite shoulder. she didn't make it 35 yards on a dead spring. Arrow and Broad head are toast but was well worth it. 

After this the other two deer continue to eat the clover under me and have no care in the world, i would have shot another but decided not to due to time restraints so i just started snapping photos and videos. Got to see some cool deer communication with bleats and such. Had to have wife and kid go for a walk to my stand and jump them outa there( they literally trotted 50 yards and just watched us), let the 5 year old track with a flashlight and he did pretty well. A blind man could follow this blood trail. 

image1.jpeg

• Like 36

Im working a string of 12hr shifts (6pm-6am) so I didn't plan on hunting but I couldn't take it any longer. Raced out after work this morning and 40 minutes later I had one down. 25yd shot. Chinadermics worked on this girl. Good start to the season. c4ff5360a2acbbf5a4d0cf1efd281a43.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 33

Got this doe opening afternoon. That morning was Ameritech hour for me. I messed up 3 shot opportunities on some big does. I was pretty excited when I saw this guy at 3:23 in my shot window about 25 yards away. The interesting thing was that the deer is actually a hermaphrodite. Now it's mainly buck hunting until rifle season or I get a buck down. IMG_5918.JPGIMG_5919.JPGIMG_5920.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 26

10/6 5:30pm. First time successfully calling one in. Been getting trail cam pics of bucks sparring lately so I decided to just tickle the rattling antlers a bit. About a minute or two later, this guy is rubbing a tree 30 yards from me. Walked 8 yards in front of me perfect broadside. Double lung with an entry and exit hole but not a complete pass through. Good blood trail, ran about 100 yards. Got some bigger bucks on cam on another property I hunt but the access is rough and I'm gonna be working a lot so I decided real quick that I'm wasn't after a trophy that night. Although once gun season comes I might pass on something this big. Just happy to have some meat and time out enjoying the outdoors. Don't be afraid to hit the rattles a little this early in the season. Good luck to everyone!0a3bf3d0d702838f41aa22297e790d44.jpg05174cdf6e684aaefbba0b83e188804d.jpg

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

• Like 39

10/11/2017 rained a little bit and he completely snuck up on me.  i was in a ground blind and he was less than 10 yds when i finally heard him.  truthfully the 1st arrow buried into a 2 inch tree where he was walking across. He was going left to right and i was turning to my right - for me a difficult shot.  he did maybe a 3yd circle and just stood and only gave me a neck shot as he was covered by trees.

IMG_1778.JPG

• Like 38

Hunted about 20 hrs since my opening day 7:10 am harvest hadn't seen another deer but I have been smelling them.

This evening at 6:22 this healthy yearling doe came in...I let her get real close to make sure no antler hiding...

10 yards she was crouched to pee I got spine heart lung liver ran against the back of the chest cavity all the way out through the leg.  Same 522 grain arrow and BH are ready for another harvest.

IMG_0663.thumb.PNG.610b528ffcf0274387014bab066b936f.PNG

Edited by OtiscoPaul
  • Like 24
  • Sad 1

I hung a portable for the first time in about 20 years last week. Since I bought a climber, I've had no desire to hunt from a portable since then. But there was a spot that I've been wanting to hunt and I had no choice. So tonight I decided to put a hunt in because the wind was right. But that was it. It was warm and muggy, and I didn't have any expectations for at least another week or 2.

I got in just before 4pm. Around 4:30 to my surprise I spotted a 4p. I then gave a short series of light rattles. Not long after that I had a small basket 7pt within 8 yds looking for the other bucks. I also ad 4 big toms move thru as well as a 6pt at 5:30. 

A little after 6, I gave another light rattle. Just before dark, I spotted 2 bucks in the thicket behind me. One of them was making a rub. As shooting light began to fade, they came out of the thicket. The first buck was a nontypical, which I was very tempted to shoot. His right main beam came straight down over his eye and hung down several inches, but he was still a young deer. At that point I was finally able to make out the other buck behind him. A big 8. He came within 5 yds and I double lunged him. He only went 40 yds. He's not my biggest, but for mid October and 66 degree weather, I'll remember this hunt for a long time. image.thumb.jpeg.457996be4efe6df77c20270d6e8d81ff.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.96a8987b51a79460c0053d8509084289.jpeg

Edited by NonTypical
  • Like 47

I harvested my very first deer with a bow this morning. At about 8:00 this morning she came into the food plot. Wasn't the best shot and my heart instantly sank when I realized how far forward I hit her. After looking at the location I shot her, there was blood everywhere and a very good blood trail. Well I tracked her about 100 yards and there she was laying! I have heard that the first is the hardest so I got the first out of the way!

IMG_5033.PNG

• Like 35

I just want to reiterate that this thread is for YOUR bow season harvests from this season. We will make exceptions for your kids or wives/husbands, but anything other than that will be removed. If you want to show pics of your buddys, cousins, etc harvests, please start your own thread and put them there.

Also, please only "like" others posts. Using emojis to diminish another persons harvest will not be tolerated, and will result in a one week suspension from the site. There will be no exceptions to this at all.

• Like 12

Saturday 10/21 on State land about 8:15. 2 bucks came in by me from opposite directions. I thought I might see a sparring match but neither one seemed to care about the other.The other buck was a little bigger body with a higher rack but no shot. I shot high on this one ,he dropped right there so I quickly put an arrow in to the lungs. Small 5 pt. rack but I like venison and have been working extra hours this year so I am happy to fill my tag. Hopefully I didn't offend the fall foliage tour bus people that drove by when we were about to load him in the truck. :pleasantry:

IMG_0684.JPG

• Like 35