2017 HuntingNY Gun Harvest Thread

WNYBuckHunter

So far my wife, daughter, and I each got a buck on successive days on our home property. Our son in law hunts the first few days each year at his fathers camp in Allegheny county, but has joined us the last couple of years for a Tuesday/Wednesday hunt. He got his buck tag punched with his Dad and brother there, so being from out of state and not eligible for doe tags in his area, he was tagged out.

For the first time in a few years my wife and I each got a doe tag, so after a couple of big bucks and a bow doe for me, we certainly had one to spare and sign over.

Kevin was out for a morning hunt in which he had a close encounter with the big boy that we've been getting glimpses of (but he had no buck tag), and an  afternoon hunt before they both head home tomorrow. He scored on a doe just before last light tonight to make it four for four for the family on four successive days, and all from the same stand no less!

On top of that, we had five days of our 7 week old granddaughter staying here, whom I firmly believe is responsible for our good whitetail mojo this year. Her presence is now strictly mandated for all future deer seasons here!

I've got one doe tag left, and am picking up our grandson Friday morning to hopefully fill that with him at my side. Then I'm on the bench till muzzleloader season for a crack at the big boy that's still walking around.

Hands down our best deer season ever!

IMG_2397.JPG

IMG_2398.JPG

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 30

Haven't seen a deer all gun season  until this evening. Switched to a spot that i haven't hunted all year and it payed off.  I though he was a 8 point when i shot but legally hes a 6. .243 flattened him with the Barnes ttsx round. Going to euro mount him now that i only have a doe tag left and have no motivation to shoot another one. Time to get the wife out and get her first. ( shes mad i broke in "her" gun)

23795192_1898188906876056_4259798630406292037_n.jpg

Edited by Hock3y24
  • Like 29

Thanksgiving morning buck.squirrels were driving me crazy all morning!heard a crunch to my left and knew it wasnt a squirrel.he walked in 25yrds from me.stopped as he heard the safety click off.luckily he stopped with head behind tree.shot hit its mark.right front shoulder and clipped heart.went 20-30 yrds and flopped.great to have my dad with me as he hasnt been out in prob 15yrs and a pretty emotional hunt as i just lost my grandfather earlier this year and said i would get him a buck!

20171123_083848.jpg

part0(1).jpg

• Like 25

As planned, we picked up our 10 year old grandson yesterday to hopefully fill my last doe tag that I was saving for this. Last year we did this for the first time and got lucky in five minutes after settling in. This year we had about 3 hours of stand time before seeing any deer. I could tell he was getting a little bored.

With just a couple of minutes of legal light, we had a 150 yard shot opportunity across the field along the far tree line. The doe bolted into the woods, and I had that tiny bit of anxiety as I lost sight of it. Jake's eyes were zeroed in on it, and he said I think it's down. He sounded pretty confident about that. Got down with him immediately and without looking for any signs, we marched up to where it entered the woods. He took a few steps in and he spotted it laying about 60 yards downhill.

The second doe for he and I on the day after Thanksgiving two years in a row. So I guess we go shopping on Black Friday too. For whitetails. 

This season is going to be pretty hard to top for our family. Thankful for every minute of it!

IMG_2410.JPG

IMG_2412.JPG

• Like 31

Not to much of a story on this one. Picked a stand I’ve seen quite a bit off deer from but I’ve never been able to get shot of yet.
I get in the stand just before legal light. 15 min later it starts to rain (unexpectedly) luckily I had my umbrella with me. Get up wrestle with that and sit back down. Another 15 min goes by and 4 deer come hauling tail towards me but they will pass 150 plus yards away I get the gun ready anyways and get into position. As luck would have it they hit some standing water and decide to make a right hand turn putting them on a course to be in front of me at 50 yards.
My patience pays off as the biggest doe of the group steps out perfectly broadside straight in front of me.
I pull the trigger and she goes off on a 60 yard death run and flips over dead in sight!!!
Probably one of my earliest morning harvests at 8:00am on the button.

68e1778220b1212da60d07b289f269d3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 26

Got it done in 8H. I actually missed this buck with my crossbow a couple weeks ago. Had been passing on some smaller bucks since. Had a big doe with twins go by a couple minutes before legal shooting time. 10 mins later he was at 60 yards looking around for the does. First shot as you can see was high and back. Next shot fortunately was lethal.

Feel very blessed he decided to come by my stand again. Thanks to everyone on here for always sharing your stories and positivity.

Ps: that is a Tactacam on my barrel not a flashlight

20171126_082013.jpg

Capture+_2017-11-26-14-13-44.png

Edited by JaredA WNY8G
Tactacam
  • Like 41

I included a picture of the stand ,except it's from last week. I had 3 doe move briskly across the back property line (mowed field meets the woods). I decide I would take the biggest one. The 3 of them actually looked confused and were bumping in to each other on which way to go,they ended up in the field and all 3 were clear shots until I noticed that a nice 8 was headed towards the doe. He stopped in the field broadside at 70 yards ,i let him have it with the henry 30 30 that i just recently acquired. 

20171123_084954.jpg

20171202_154447.jpg

• Like 32

I shot a good doe yesterday morning in Lima.  80-100 yard shot with the (gulp) .243

She went about 20 yards with the top of her heart in shambles, exit side is in the picture...........dressed weight was 115lbs.  Hunted last night and this morning for another but nothing doing.

UMYEyoE.jpg

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 29

I shot this doe (37" chest girth) today at 2:30 in zone 9F with my Marlin 512 slugmaster and Hornady SST sabot.   The shot was to the neck so not much meat will be lost.   Gun season had not been going so well, and I had decided to skip this morning's hunt and take our family to church instead.  It comes as no surprise that decision has paid off.   One way or another, the good Lord has always provided for ALL of our needs.  Now our venison supply is secure for the year, with the 60 or more additional pounds  (per the PA game commission table) that this fat doe should provide.    

Doe Dec 3 2017.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 21

After a disappointing bow season, and a down right depressing gun season, everything turned around at 3:30 on Sunday. Four doe decided they would come by my stand, filled all of my DMPs in about 90 seconds.

Just goes to show, it's not over until it's over!

Three of the four were kind enough to go down right near each other. The fourth ran off, but left me a perfect blood trail.

Cheers!

Z51yf+dLS++a4yr4ESOgtQ.jpg

• Like 22

Pretty slow season for me until the Last Saturday 12/9 when this guy came from the opposite direction of the drive we were doing. Even with his busted up rack, I'm pretty happy with him. Should make a nice European mount after muzzleloader season is over :) 

IMG_1593.PNG

• Like 17