Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

11 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

One thing I learned from living and hunting down south, us Yankees worry way too much about killing deer in the heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually what that means is that the folks in the south have to deal with this stuff on a regular basis and do.  In the southern zone, heck, bow season USED to open 10/15 and NOT 10/1.............we didn't have to deal with as much heat generally with the mid-October opener as we do now. 

14 days later could make a big difference in temps as many people (myself included) usually wait a week to ten days until after opening day to start to get fired up.

Another thing, most guys use butchers.  Lots of butchers around our area do NOT have coolers to store many bow killed deer.  As you know, spoilage can happen dang fast................... :(

Actually what that means is that the folks in the south have to deal with this stuff on a regular basis and do.  In the southern zone, heck, bow season USED to open 10/15 and NOT 10/1.............we didn't have to deal with as much heat generally with the mid-October opener as we do now. 
14 days later could make a big difference in temps as many people (myself included) usually wait a week to ten days until after opening day to start to get fired up.
Another thing, most guys use butchers.  Lots of butchers around our area do NOT have coolers to store many bow killed deer.  As you know, spoilage can happen dang fast...................

I learned down south that spoilage didn't happen as fast as I thought it did. Before I lived down there I wouldn't have thought of hunting when it's this warm out now I know that you have plenty of time even if it's a marginal hit and you have to wait 5 or 6 hrs. As long as you get them cooling they turn out just fine.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I learned down south that spoilage didn't happen as fast as I thought it did. Before I lived down there I wouldn't have thought of hunting when it's this warm out now I know that you have plenty of time even if it's a marginal hit and you have to wait 5 or 6 hrs. As long as you get them cooling they turn out just fine.

5 or 6 hours after a marginal hit when it's 80 out. Can I be there when you eat that thing. That sounds like a fear factor challenge. Sorry but your so wrong. I have family in Louisiana and there is no way in hell your waiting 5 or 6 hrs. The people from the south choose shot selection way more carefully in the south than we do cause they know what the heat will do to a dead animal in that heat. Rule of thumb through the food eministration is 4 hours between temps of 49 and 140 . After that call it coyote bait. Best of luck you must have an iron stomach. 

5 or 6 hours after a marginal hit when it's 80 out. Can I be there when you eat that thing. That sounds like a fear factor challenge. Sorry but your so wrong. I have family in Louisiana and there is no way in hell your waiting 5 or 6 hrs. The people from the south choose shot selection way more carefully in the south than we do cause they know what the heat will do to a dead animal in that heat. Rule of thumb through the food eministration is 4 hours between temps of 49 and 140 . After that call it coyote bait. Best of luck you must have an iron stomach. 

My experience differs. I would have never imagined hunting in the temps I did down there until I had to do it for 8years.

20 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

My experience differs. I would have never imagined hunting in the temps I did down there until I had to do it for 8years.

To be honest I'm not going to argue that cause I've never done it let alone for 8 years . I'm just going on what family tells me and if those Cajuns won't eat it sure as hell I won't and they eat roadkill sometimes 

Edited by sodfather
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Another thing, most guys use butchers.  Lots of butchers around our area do NOT have coolers to store many bow killed deer.  As you know, spoilage can happen dang fast................... :(

Forget 10/15 or 10/1, I wish NY started 9/15 like CT. I think KY starts even earlier. 

7 hours ago, Core said:

Still kinda pissed I can't hunt saturday.

Thank God I opened the door this morning and it felt like fall. Last few days have been despicable. No better word for it.

On 9/26/2017 at 11:09 AM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

here we go! I don't have to wait for November 4th this year. I'd really like to be at the butcher by 9am on 10/1 with an 8pt.

Saturday? You a Northern zone guy?