Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

10 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Are those the extreme version of deer attractant? More extreme attraction than the fireballs?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

A reasonable substitute in a pinch I say but I'm not the authority on this matter.

2 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Just hung a very unorthodox stand setup on a decent buck I have seen the last 2 days don't know if he's a shooter yet but I should be within 25yds of where he came out the last 2 nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Know of one guy that dug a hole in a field to kill a buck.  I like unorthodox as its creative!  Please describe.

• Like 3

Well I went out and checked apple cam...6 mins after I left the blind around a dozen doe and fawn a 6pt and the spike and four pt all showed up...they partied until 7 this morning...

apparently the new rubber over boots I got for my hunting boots worked better than I thought...They never heard me going down the drive then road...normally my boots soles are amplifiers to every crunching pebble and stone, to the leaf stems I walk on...Today it was such a pleasant walk...even in the leaf litter...dang should have bought those years ago

Know of one guy that dug a hole in a field to kill a buck.  I like unorthodox as its creative!  Please describe.

The stand is about 18" of the ground, he's coming out of a finger in a corn field and it chokes down to about 30 yards wide. But I can't get into the finger because It is a 50 acre flat swamp so he will be able to see me the only suitable spot is in a big soft maple but there is no cover at all. So I'm down in the bushes. While sitting my eyes just clear the weeds while standing they are about chest high.

10 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

The stand is about 18" of the ground, he's coming out of a finger in a corn field and it chokes down to about 30 yards wide. But I can't get into the finger because It is a 50 acre flat swamp so he will be able to see me the only suitable spot is in a big soft maple but there is no cover at all. So I'm down in the bushes. While sitting my eyes just clear the weeds while standing they are about chest high.

Sounds like a great set up.  Can you shoot over the bushes (whats the plan)?  I assume wind prevents it but sitting in the corn with some lanes may work too.

16 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

So you are sitting in front of the Maple? What about sitting behind it and peaking around each side, then you could draw and take 1 step either way and shoot.

16 minutes ago, burmjohn said:

Wow literally in my boxers right now, wonder if anyone ever got a deer in their skivvies

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Tomorrow is perfect for board shorts, no shirt but full body paint.

• Like 1

Sounds like a great set up.  Can you shoot over the bushes (whats the plan)?  I assume wind prevents it but sitting in the corn with some lanes may work too.

Yup I can shoot over the bushes and weeds. We chopped the corn yesterday and it's getting disked tomorrow so it's a 1 shot deal.

• Like 1

So you are sitting in front of the Maple? What about sitting behind it and peaking around each side, then you could draw and take 1 step either way and shoot.

Brush/weeds are too high and thick, without making a ton of noise and cutting shooting lanes that wind work unless I stand on a step stool.

• Like 1

Wow literally in my boxers right now, wonder if anyone ever got a deer in their skivvies

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yea I've been in the stand 30 min now it's hot up here for sure

I'm 3 hrs into this sit none seen.

60 here off and on breeze pretty nice...bugs are on the wing but not bothersome.

Just got a text kids are staying w/Noni and Opa tonight.

One way or another I'll get lucky this PM.

Edited by OtiscoPaul
  • Like 6

I just did some scouting/still hunting and saw a decent buck bedded down in the hardwoods. He was lounging around so i actually noticed the white on his belly first. He saw me as well. We were maybe 75 yds apart,and he just looked,not getting up. So i backed up behind some trees and backtracked and made a wide circle to get above him. Took a while,but I made it around and he was still there,standing up now. I was about 75 yds out again and started to sneak closer. He looked like either a good six or eight point. I closed the distance some and he kept grooming himself,but then he started to walk off,not in a direction that worked for me.

I dont think he winded me or knew I was there,but he did get out of there just in time,since he looked big enough to shoot. Nice to know he is hanging around though.

• Like 1