Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

Congrats JMP on the bear harvest! Awesome job with that recurve. You recurve guys are really starting to make me tempted to pick one up in the off season to try.

Worked 14 hours till 9am. Brought my neighbor his weekly ton of corn. Now it's on to the honey do list. If I have any energy left, I'll go out for the evening hunt. Not sure if I'll bother waking up early tomorrow, looking pretty warm. Catching up on some sleep might beat out a warm October morning sit.

That’s it for me seen 3 does 45 yards. This was first time of year hunting clover plot check cam an not a deer.. Clover looks good and tall not sure why there not eating it day or night. Shot at my target on walk back and haven’t shot my bow in a while. 40 yard shot sailed right over target lost arrow. Done hunting going to shoot the rest of weekend 

• Like 1

@rachunter I see a lot of pines near that plot, I've heard this and that about soil acidity in pine stands, but, the bigger problem I've had is with germination and growth because the pines block a lot of sunlight. Maybe opening it up a little more in there, if possible, would be beneficial next year? 

First off, congrats to Jmp209 on the great bear.  You better have a good story for us with all the particulars........AND photos.

Today was my first time in the saddle and it was darn good.  Had a dfoe fawn come into view and browsed her way towards me and ended up going to the ridge above me and napping.  I'd glass her every few minutes (just cause I could) and lo and behold spotted two more deer in close proximity to her, one also bedded and the other eating acorns or beechnuts.  They hung around for better than an hour before a errant east wind "puff" took my lovely smell to them.  I started the countdown at 20 and by about 6,5,4........gone!

Another fun thing was all squirrels and chipmunks around.  I dare say I've never seen so many in my life!  At one point around 8:30am two redtail hawks came bombing through the woods and one dove into the leaves not 7-8 yards from me trying to get a chipmunk.  He got skunked on that one......hung around for 20-30 seconds wondering WTH happened and then flew off to find his co worker/mate.  

On the way home I spotted a downrigger rod on the 400, northbound, just past the Transit Rd entrance ramp.  I figured what the hell and got off at Union Rd, got back on the 400 going south only to get off at Transit Rd and get back on.  The rod & reel were still there and are now in my garage.  :)

It's probably a $250-275 package that someone would surely like to get back.  I'll post it on Craigslist Lost & Found and see if I can get it back to the owner.

I think I'll take a power nap first................... :)  

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 9

Got home 25 mins ago...lowered bow ..look up and 15 turkey are running down the hill to me...so after they finally turned toward the lane way and disappeared I got down and walked the line home...Went through and old rub line and everything but one was blk. So one really early rub for here.. OK sized hophorn...pulled two cards...still 118 pics at the apple tree and a error on the card for other.....lunch and maybe a nap...

All my sale material arrived today so that goes in the wash  and I can then divide the orange up for the blinds and the grey camo is needed as a replacement panel for one open blind and thinking about possible wrap on a couple of others..we'll see...hitting camp tomorrow so not sure about tonight...

Edited by growalot