Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

I hung a portable for the first time in about 20 years last week. Since I bought a climber, I've had no desire to hunt from a portable since then. But there was a spot that I've been wanting to hunt and I had no choice. So tonight I decided to put a hunt in because the wind was right. But that was it. It was warm and muggy, and I didn't have any expectations for at least another week or 2.

I got in just before 4pm. Around 4:30 to my surprise I spotted a 4p. I then gave a short series of light rattles. Not long after that I had a small basket 7pt within 8 yds looking for the other bucks. I also ad 4 big toms move thru as well as a 6pt at 5:30. 

A little after 6, I gave another light rattle. Just before dark, I spotted 2 bucks in the thicket behind me. One of them was making a rub. As shooting light began to fade, they came out of the thicket. The first buck was a nontypical, which I was very tempted to shoot. His right main beam came straight down over his eye and hung down several inches, but he was still a young deer. At that point I was finally able to make out the other buck behind him. A big 8. He came within 5 yds and I double lunged him. He only went 40 yds. He's not my biggest, but for mid October and 66 degree weather, I'll remember this hunt for a long time. 

Edited by NonTypical
  • Like 15

I hung a portable for the first time in about 20 years last week. Since I bought a climber, I've had no desire to hunt from a portable since then. But there was a spot that I've been wanting to hunt and I had no choice. So tonight I decided to put a hunt in because the wind was right. But that was it. It was warm and muggy, and I didn't have any expectations for at least another week or 2.
I got in just before 4pm. Around 4:30 to my surprise I spotted a 4p. I then gave a short series of light rattles. Not long after that I had a small basket 7pt within 8 yds looking for the other bucks. I also ad 4 big toms move thru as well as a 6pt at 5:30. 
A little after 6, I gave another light rattle. Just before dark, I spotted 2 bucks in the thicket behind me. One of them was making a rub. As shooting light began to fade, they came out of the thicket. The first buck was a nontypical, which I was very tempted to shoot. His right main beam came straight down over his eye and hung down several inches, but he was still a young deer. At that point I was finally able to make out the other buck behind him. A big 8. He came within 5 yds and I double lunged him. He only went 40 yds. He's not my biggest, but for mid October and 66 degree weather, I'll remember this hunt for a long time. 
Congrats

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, DanielT said:

A little windy...but lets give it a try..seems everytime I get a chance to hunt...the weather sucks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Gotta think that we've all seen deer in the nastiest weather.not going to see em if not out there!

• Like 1