Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

6 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

To hunt or not to hunt. That is the question. 74 degrees and watch Chiefs/Steelers (425pm) from the blind or Home on the couch. 

You can't shoot one sitting on your couch... he says as he is sitting on his couch watching football. ;-)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I just won the STUPID award.   Had a solid 140" buck at 10yds quartering to and 3yds dead below me and never released an arrow.   I was drawn when he was below me and was very tempted.   He took off right after he passed me.  In hindsight I probably should have taken the quartering to shot.   It was a gift and I knew he was coming.  This one will haunt me for a long time I think.  

I was too cautious on this one for sure.  These opportunities don't come along that often.  

Not sure why I am posting other than to say take your first good shot.  Don't wait for the perfect shot. 

Even there more often than I want to admit. Old sayings like “you’ll be rewarded with patience” and crap... and of course not wanting to wound. 

A few still haunt me including a nice 8 from last year, I can’t imagine a 140...

42 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

To hunt or not to hunt. That is the question. 74 degrees and watch Chiefs/Steelers (425pm) from the blind or Home on the couch. 

35 minutes ago, bartman9 said:

You can't shoot one sitting on your couch... he says as he is sitting on his couch watching football. ;-)

But you CAN burn yourself and your stands out. Warm and wind and possibly rain are not good. 

Guys need to be patient, get your fall chores done and go hard in a few weeks.

i put my motorcycle away yesterday not because I can’t ride it anymore but it’s a chore that’s now done so I can hunt more when the conditions are right.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Belo said:

But you CAN burn yourself and your stands out. Warm and wind and possibly rain are not good. 

Guys need to be patient, get your fall chores done and go hard in a few weeks.

i put my motorcycle away yesterday not because I can’t ride it anymore but it’s a chore that’s now done so I can hunt more when the conditions are right.

I’m going in. Tomorrow gonna be 35 degrees and I can’t hunt but maybe get lucky before dark. If not, I was football outside instead of inside 

• Like 1

Last two seasons I was on public land and it gets pressured all to hell. Very tough slogs each season getting on deer. This year I have some private land I'm using. Been out 6 times including today and have seen deer each time.

I got on a crazy spot his morning. Deer everywhere. Only 1-2 at a time, but lots of individual sightings. Got this buck at 7:45 and this doe at 8:30.

I'm posting this picture of the doe because as soon as the arrow went I knew it was not a good shot. The deer was 18-20 yards out, very clear sight, walking/eating slowly nice broadside/slight quartering away (textbook), but as I took the shot it quartered away hard (I think not quite as much as this arrow seems to hint--it may have swung a bit in the deer by the time it went down). The saving grace is that the arrow was still heading in the right direction. There was a constant, but light trail of blood. This was not a lung shot at all (it would have been had the arrow gone further in), and it was not a heart shot, but the deer was down in 70-80 yards. Massive internal bleeding but I'm not sure exactly how it died. I guess they can still die even if lungs aren't pierced if the diapham (?) is. Or, maybe I hit an artery. I got lucky on this one, when I saw the light blood and clear not a lung shot or heart I thought uh oh. I gotta say I was quite surprised when I walked up on it.

And this is a problem: Per typical, I get very little penetration. This arrow only made it a foot in or so. I'm pulling 60 pounds @ 29" @ 315 IBO w/ 410 grain arrows. I've never even made a second hole in a deer (let alone pass through) no matter where I hit them. I switched to rage 2 blades a couple weeks ago and they make a brutal entrance hole (that alone is why I was able to find this deer, as it bled out of the entrance). 

deer1.thumb.jpg.38d92b5024d4b1b6dff5437bb9327703.jpg

deer2.thumb.jpg.204467bbdf33a4b0956e6e6d8e1426f8.jpg

Edited by Core
  • Like 25

6 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I just won the STUPID award.   Had a solid 140" buck at 10yds quartering to and 3yds dead below me and never released an arrow.   I was drawn when he was below me and was very tempted.   He took off right after he passed me.  In hindsight I probably should have taken the quartering to shot.   It was a gift and I knew he was coming.  This one will haunt me for a long time I think.  

I was too cautious on this one for sure.  These opportunities don't come along that often.  

Not sure why I am posting other than to say take your first good shot.  Don't wait for the perfect shot. 

Moog,i think you did the right thing letting him walk. If it was a doe you wouldn't have thought twice about it not being a good shot. That same attitude should be extended to bucks as well,but it seems people are willing to take much riskier shots when antlers are involved.

• Like 2

And this is a problem: Per typical, I get very little penetration. This arrow only made it a foot in or so. I'm pulling 60 pounds @ 29" @ 315 IBO w/ 410 grain arrows. I've never even made a second hole in a deer (let alone pass through) no matter where I hit them.

Wow Now that is very strange to me....I'm shooting a Mission Venture and I have a 27" draw 49#'s no idea on the arrow weight really..I shoot full length arrows with a 100gr thunderhead or G5...I have pass throughs at 35 yrds and have had penetration through both shoulder...

I would like to hear guys thoughts on your "issue " because The only time I never had pass through was with the 50# Hoyt raider/Intruder using Easton 2114 lights...aluminum

Edited by growalot

39 minutes ago, growalot said:

Wow Now that is very strange to me....I'm shooting a Mission Venture and I have a 27" draw 49#'s no idea on the arrow weight really..I shoot full length arrows with a 100gr thunderhead or G5...I have pass throughs at 35 yrds and have had penetration through both shoulder...

I would like to hear guys thoughts on your "issue " because The only time I never had pass through was with the 50# Hoyt raider/Intruder using Easton 2114 lights...aluminum

i am with grow,what do people think about that lack of penetration? Way out of tune bow? Wasting the energy? i shoot 55# fixed muzzy and they blow through the deer.

That picture is just bizarre,there is nothing that should have slowed that arrow if it didn't even make it in the chest cavity.

3N: 71 degrees. 10-12mph wind which feels good. Just got into Acorn flat blind. 355pm. Chiefs/Steelers at 425pm, sunset at 613pm. Cams didn’t show much besides does and spikes, but you never know. Every deer I ever seen out of this blind was not caught on cam when I saw it. They seem to come from different directions.

pics are views to the left, right, middle. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

2" cut mechanicals work for some people.  It only makes sense that a smaller cutting diameter would penetrate better.  I shot 1.25" mechanicals for years and got an exit hole every time but one.  I don't shoot more than 25 yards, however, and I send a 500+ grain arrow.  To each his own, but I am not surprised by those results.  

A buddy went to Pike County with his super fast bow.  He shot a "huge" buck with his 2" Rage broadheads and light weight carbon arrows.  Guess what happened.  The dog handler gave him an earful when they tracked the buck into a swamp.  On and on about big Midwestern bucks and archery gear and shooting 45 yards.  They never found the buck.   

Last two seasons I was on public land and it gets pressured all to hell. Very tough slogs each season getting on deer. This year I have some private land I'm using. Been out 6 times including today and have seen deer each time.
I got on a crazy spot his morning. Deer everywhere. Only 1-2 at a time, but lots of individual sightings. Got this buck at 7:45 and this doe at 8:30.
I'm posting this picture of the doe because as soon as the arrow went I knew it was not a good shot. The deer was 18-20 yards out, very clear sight, walking/eating slowly nice broadside/slight quartering away (textbook), but as I took the shot it quartered away hard (I think not quite as much as this arrow seems to hint--it may have swung a bit in the deer by the time it went down). The saving grace is that the arrow was still heading in the right direction. There was a constant, but light trail of blood. This was not a lung shot at all (it would have been had the arrow gone further in), and it was not a heart shot, but the deer was down in 70-80 yards. Massive internal bleeding but I'm not sure exactly how it died. I guess they can still die even if lungs aren't pierced if the diapham (?) is. Or, maybe I hit an artery. I got lucky on this one, when I saw the light blood and clear not a lung shot or heart I thought uh oh. I gotta say I was quite surprised when I walked up on it.
And this is a problem: Per typical, I get very little penetration. This arrow only made it a foot in or so. I'm pulling 60 pounds @ 29" @ 315 IBO w/ 410 grain arrows. I've never even made a second hole in a deer (let alone pass through) no matter where I hit them. I switched to rage 2 blades a couple weeks ago and they make a brutal entrance hole (that alone is why I was able to find this deer, as it bled out of the entrance). 
deer1.thumb.jpg.38d92b5024d4b1b6dff5437bb9327703.jpg
deer2.thumb.jpg.204467bbdf33a4b0956e6e6d8e1426f8.jpg

I hate mechanicals and won't shoot them, something is strange, either your bow is way out of tune or there is a can out of time "depending on brand of bow."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk