Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

Core

something is not right if you aren't getting broadside pass throughs.  Any 60lb compound with 400plus grain arrows should be passing through most of the time.   Time to get it to a good Archery shop for a tune.   Good news is that you tagged 2 already.  Congrats. 

• Like 2

Decided to head to my front food plot which is only about 275 yards from my back patio. I have a tripod over looking it. I get there, and just want to peak in and this young one is walking in. I figured i was screwed, but luckily young and dumb. I was able to back off a little and kneel down. Got within 20 yards and i was trying to figure out if it was a button buck or doe fawn. By that time it figured out i didnt belong there and left after a 5 minute stare down.

20171015_182533.jpg

20171015_182234.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

Ima sit and smoke a cigar on the deck, 78 degrees out crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have some beers from Tree House and Trillium in Boston, I'll supply those and be over in a minute! 

• Like 2

If the bow is way out of tune wouldn't the sights be way out?  Just asking because I don't know just speculating. I would think if it is out of tune you would have to adjust for it.

Depends, you can bandaid a terribly tuned bow by shooting mechanicals. Easiest way to tell is sight in with field points and put a big fixed blade head and shoot it. If it's out of tune you will know.

3 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Depends, you can bandaid a terribly tuned bow by shooting mechanicals. Easiest way to tell is sight in with field points and put a big fixed blade head and shoot it. If it's out of tune you will know.

Yep and out of whack spine might mask it.  And as you said, timing could be off.   He is definitely shedding energy somehow.  

• Like 2

Last night just before dark!  Had to kick more deer out of field to track her. Knew she didn't go far though. Blood spraying everywhere. Love the grim reapers! Got her at a new spot in Madison and first time there.  All processed and sausage to package tomorrow.  After hunting . Now I can look for that buck since I got the freezer queen. 

IMG_20171014_224259825.jpg

• Like 27

Congratulations core and Rob, didn't make it out this morning because of a 12 HR shift and sat out the afternoon hunt because of a warm windy rainy day,( good day to watch football). The weather tomorrow here in the north is supposed to drop 25 degrees to a high around 50 hoping to sneak out of work early and give the muzzleloader a chance.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I didn’t end up getting out in the woods at all this weekend. Between the high temps and having a bunch of stuff on my to do list, it just didn’t happen. With the big cold front moving through tonight, I’m playing hooky from work tomorrow and spending the whole day in the woods. Winds and temps tomorrow just look way too god to waste the day in my office. 

• Like 1

Can you pick me up on the way ? 

Trillium and Treehouse and I got a bunch of Alchemist we could have a good time!!

I just finished off cigar, power went out, 30-40 mph wind hit and sideways rain. Had to pause grilling. Storm gone but power still out. Just started the generator to keep the freezer and fridge right! Got a lot of NC deer and GA gator and summer fish in there!!

• Like 1

i finished my firewood today,all stacked in the basement. This earned me major hunting credit,and this week looks like good hanging weather for a doe even. I have to be a good boy and work too,but i will spend time in the woods,probably in the evenings.

Have to get busy if i want to shoot two does and a big buck. I have a feeling that I will get my biggest buck ever with the bow this year. I could be wrong,but won't be,hehehe

Edited by BowmanMike
spell spell
  • Like 2

Only hunted Friday pm this weekend didn't see squat, took my uncle for a drive around the block to show him the back side of my property line, standing 30 yards of the road at the top of one of my funnels was a beautiful 8pt, knowing where he was and which way he was coming from he passed by two of my stands... oh well

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Core said:

Last two seasons I was on public land and it gets pressured all to hell. Very tough slogs each season getting on deer. This year I have some private land I'm using. Been out 6 times including today and have seen deer each time.

I got on a crazy spot his morning. Deer everywhere. Only 1-2 at a time, but lots of individual sightings. Got this buck at 7:45 and this doe at 8:30.

I'm posting this picture of the doe because as soon as the arrow went I knew it was not a good shot. The deer was 18-20 yards out, very clear sight, walking/eating slowly nice broadside/slight quartering away (textbook), but as I took the shot it quartered away hard (I think not quite as much as this arrow seems to hint--it may have swung a bit in the deer by the time it went down). The saving grace is that the arrow was still heading in the right direction. There was a constant, but light trail of blood. This was not a lung shot at all (it would have been had the arrow gone further in), and it was not a heart shot, but the deer was down in 70-80 yards. Massive internal bleeding but I'm not sure exactly how it died. I guess they can still die even if lungs aren't pierced if the diapham (?) is. Or, maybe I hit an artery. I got lucky on this one, when I saw the light blood and clear not a lung shot or heart I thought uh oh. I gotta say I was quite surprised when I walked up on it.

And this is a problem: Per typical, I get very little penetration. This arrow only made it a foot in or so. I'm pulling 60 pounds @ 29" @ 315 IBO w/ 410 grain arrows. I've never even made a second hole in a deer (let alone pass through) no matter where I hit them. I switched to rage 2 blades a couple weeks ago and they make a brutal entrance hole (that alone is why I was able to find this deer, as it bled out of the entrance). 

deer1.thumb.jpg.38d92b5024d4b1b6dff5437bb9327703.jpg

deer2.thumb.jpg.204467bbdf33a4b0956e6e6d8e1426f8.jpg

Bump that arrow up to 520 see what happens.

But also agree have a tech check it quick.

Congrats on the harvests so far.

Edited by OtiscoPaul
  • Like 2

Only hunted Friday pm this weekend didn't see squat, took my uncle for a drive around the block to show him the back side of my property line, standing 30 yards of the road at the top of one of my funnels was a beautiful 8pt, knowing where he was and which way he was coming from he passed by two of my stands... oh well

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

Moog,i think you did the right thing letting him walk. If it was a doe you wouldn't have thought twice about it not being a good shot. That same attitude should be extended to bucks as well,but it seems people are willing to take much riskier shots when antlers are involved.

Moog I agree with mike

I've been blowing through stuff even on a decent 130lb dressed with a similar arrow and less DW...I agree you would probably have been good but you are never wrong fur playing it safe...a long or unsuccessful recover would have been an unkind reminder.

You don't need me to tell you that, good call...get him tomorrow!

Edited by OtiscoPaul

4 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

I  see the biggest bucks when I pick up my wife from work at 7 p.m. Those guys are not coming out into the fields until after legal shooting light... yet.

I  see the biggest bucks when I pick up my wife from work at 7 p.m. Those guys are not coming out into the fields until after legal shooting light... yet.

I forgot to mention this happened at noon lol

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Papist said:

That's a 6 inch diameter tree. Not a sapling

Shavings on top of leaves under it? On bigger trees usually it looks like this (at least the ones i find each year). The old ones are usually dark brown

50E72807-C66F-49A2-A019-38DF165BB419.jpeg

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld