Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

Since I am still new to Central NY (this being only my second season on my property), can someone please tell me when the corn gets taken down? I feel like it’s up later than last year, but that could be in my mind since I am not seeing any deer. I have corn on all sides of my little swath of woods. I am making the excuse in my mind that all the deer are in the corn, and the deer will come flooding in when it is cut. At least that is what I am telling myself.

Going to wait till first light and go walk a half-dry creek bed with a climber hoping to find a crossing area. Sitting my permanent stands seems futile right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By the way, Tapatalk seems to be working again on my iPhone as of this morning!!!! I am so happy. I would like to think my bad rating and the quick response to that rating from the Tapatalk support team to ask for more info had something to do with it. I will have to go and re-review the app

Just boarded the plane off for my yearly elk trip to Colorado. It's supposed too be cold cold cold.... teens and 20's in the mornings. Good luck to everybody! Hope to see some pics of some members with some big boys on the ground when I return. KNOCKEM DOWN!!!!!!

• Like 15

16 minutes ago, CanastotaCamo said:

Since I am still new to Central NY (this being only my second season on my property), can someone please tell me when the corn gets taken down? I feel like it’s up later than last year, but that could be in my mind since I am not seeing any deer. I have corn on all sides of my little swath of woods. I am making the excuse in my mind that all the deer are in the corn, and the deer will come flooding in when it is cut. At least that is what I am telling myself.

Going to wait till first light and go walk a half-dry creek bed with a climber hoping to find a crossing area. Sitting my permanent stands seems futile right now.

Ours was cut 2 weeks ago.

45 degrees
Bumped one up top coming in. Wind a little swirly.

Camo - the corn seems to come down when they get around to it lol. Weather is the only factor.... too wet, snow,..

The field next to the spot in in now last season they left up until November! It hurt this spot bad. This year the field is hay so I'm happier lol

Cory - good luck on the elk.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CanastotaCamo said:

where do you hunt in Stota?  I also hunt in stota area.  And yeah depends on the farmer and how many fields they have etc.  One location I hunt in Augusta they never cut the corn all season, never got to it.  But it was good hunting late gun and muzzle season. 

28 minutes ago, Cory said:

Just boarded the plane off for my yearly elk trip to Colorado. It's supposed too be cold cold cold.... teens and 20's in the mornings. Good luck to everybody! Hope to see some pics of some members with some big boys on the ground when I return. KNOCKEM DOWN!!!!!!

Good luck to you hope to see some great pics when ya get back..

where do you hunt in Stota?  I also hunt in stota area.  And yeah depends on the farmer and how many fields they have etc.  One location I hunt in Augusta they never cut the corn all season, never got to it.  But it was good hunting late gun and muzzle season. 

Thanks for the replies. The corn is very brown. They must be waiting for it to dry more for whatever it’s purpose is. It’s killing my corner field stand that is great when it’s down.

I’m technically town of Lincoln down by the quarry.

I was at full draw on a 130s 8 point last night at 12 yards but instead of taking 1 more step into an opening on the travel corridor he bolted after the doe. Then had to set till 8:10 pm as I had him, 2 other good buck and 14 doe all around me and the wouldn't leave the white oaks till 8pm. Was finally able to ease down the tree with the climber and slip out without spooking them.

Sent from my LGL58VL using Tapatalk

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, reeltime said:

I was at full draw on a 130s 8 point last night at 12 yards but instead of taking 1 more step into an opening on the travel corridor he bolted after the doe. Then had to set till 8:10 pm as I had him, 2 other good buck and 14 doe all around me and the wouldn't leave the white oaks till 8pm. Was finally able to ease down the tree with the climber and slip out without spooking them.

Jeez ,were you hunting in the zoo? Thats some great activity to experience.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Today was the start of the mentored youth hunt in pa. My grandson scored at 730. Had a hog of a doe get chased into the woods by the double brow tined 7 point I passed up Monday evening. Then she stepped out of the goldenrod 5 feet from and spooked taking 3 other buck an 21 more doe with her.
5 minutes later another antlerless deer walked out and he got himself all in position and when the ole .243 barked the deer dropped in its tracks. Did great for being 10 years old. Prefect shot at 100 yards.

• Like 8

52 minutes ago, CanastotaCamo said:

Thanks for the replies. The corn is very brown. They must be waiting for it to dry more for whatever it’s purpose is. It’s killing my corner field stand that is great when it’s down.

best of luck this season.  I hunt off 13 between stota and 31 towards the beach.  hope you get one! 

best of luck this season.  I hunt off 13 between stota and 31 towards the beach.  hope you get one! 

Oh yea you are probably 12 miles north of me. I’m 6 miles south of the intersection where tops and rite aid are. Off of oxbow. I wish you better luck than I have had this year. Still haven’t seen a deer from the stand.

Well that wraps this trip up had a pretty good morning no deer but learned a little more about swamp donkeys. Found to beds on the edge in the grass. Also found lots of track leading into the swamp on the other side.  I'll be back up for a ten day hunt the second week of November.

good luck out there folks

• Like 1

Jeez ,were you hunting in the zoo? Thats some great activity to experience.
Nope. One of the properties I tied up 3 years ago. Been no hunting there for deer till last night. The past 3 years work is showing up in quality.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CanastotaCamo said:

A lot of farmers grow corn for silage now so they leave it up as long as they can and then grind it up stalk and all. That's what most of the farmers do by my land in schoharie county. We let a farmer grow a 5 acre corn field in our bottom field and he leaves it up until the last weekend of October most years. When the corn comes down those next two days are on fire with all the deer coming in to pick up the leftovers.

• Like 2

Riddle me this:

Had upwards of 12 Doe on cama through September. I know the count because they were all on the same cam at the same time in the same video. Starting in early October all activity moved and nothing on camera since the 7th. I pulled cards today. I have nothing but small bucks through different parts of the property. A spike, 5pt, 6pt, Small 8pt. This activity started apparently a few days ago with a couple small scrapes appearing. My question is..... where are the does? I have never had all bucks and no does on any of my card pulls. So no does since 1 Doe and fawn on oct 7. I have DMP tags and need to put meat in the freezer. I really don’t WANT to shoot one of the young bucks.

8 minutes ago, CanastotaCamo said:

Riddle me this:

Had upwards of 12 Doe on cama through September. I know the count because they were all on the same cam at the same time in the same video. Starting in early October all activity moved and nothing on camera since the 7th. I pulled cards today. I have nothing but small bucks through different parts of the property. A spike, 5pt, 6pt, Small 8pt. This activity started apparently a few days ago with a couple small scrapes appearing. My question is..... where are the does? I have never had all bucks and no does on any of my card pulls. So no does since 1 Doe and fawn on oct 7. I have DMP tags and need to put meat in the freezer. I really don’t WANT to shoot one of the young bucks.

They are being harrassed by the little boys, probably being chased  all over. 

1 minute ago, CanastotaCamo said:

That’s kind of my fear.

Thats a good thing, if you have the does sooner or later the big boys will stroll through. Im sure of the 12 a few call your property their home. The does will be back. Let those little guys feel their way for now, they get frisky this time of year.