Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

Listen there is not much I haven't tried to fool deer as I walk to my stands in the dark...That said, it has on occasion back fired...Like when I tried to look like a young pine tree and squatted and tucked my head when In the moon light I saw deer on the other side of the field... That got me a large tine slipping up under my face and  a buck literally snorting in my ear...That could have turned out very badly..but he swung around and stiff legged it out of there...or when I have been stomped and snorted at and then I stomped and snorted back...to be charged...yep another not so fun in the dark...I will never stop in a field to tie a drag on again ...I had a buck charge me and I had to quickly stand push my bow out hard in front of me as I ..hhmmm Yelped...may have tied a scream but it came out like a high pitched yelp...I could hear him nearly somersault as he came to and abrupt stop and turned away ..way to close for comfort...I only use drags in day light now...Hey so many years of hunting and so many ideas that pop into my head on those usually quiet walks in and definitely long quiet hours on stand...Some good others...well.......:negative: Skipping landed me the best buck fight I have ever seen not 2 mins after I had past them...they fought all the way to and under my stand and the sounds were crazy.  As it got light one of them broke off and came my way a huge typical 8 with steam rolling off and out of him  but he was just  out of range.. wish cell phones were around then it's an image I won't forget though. ps I have never heard rattling or any grunting that could match the sounds those two were makeing as they fought through our woods..and it lasted a long timeI bet they traveled 300 yrds fighting...

Well sometimes..it can get a bit scary...another is if I hear walking coming towards me..depending on terrain and distance I will undo my fanny pack..if there are no opticals in it... and drag it bouncing behind me as I make short burst runs then stop( at my age that's all I can muster ^_^)...I tie a pull rope to it before I leave the house. Never worse for wear because it is maybe a 1-2 times a year thing. Think about all the noise you  hear when bucks are chasing doe past your stand in the the dark ..one or two soft short grunts as you run..I've had buck come right in and doe after that at day light...I often wondered if that noise didn't have them wait until it was lighter to continue...verse walking past my stand in the dark...hhhmmmm...

Anyways pasta sauce in the crockpot  will shower and head out in a little bit...

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

Oh.... Some of you were serious... Yea I think I'll just continue walking quietly to my stand. Or maybe I'll try somersaults to one up some of you, surely the deer won't recognize me somersaulting to my stand...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, growalot said:

Listen there is not much I haven't tried to fool deer as I walk to my stands in the dark...That said, it has on occasion back fired...Like when I tried to look like a young pine tree and squatted and tucked my head when In the moon light I saw deer on the other side of the field... That got me a large tine slipping up under my face and  a buck literally snorting in my ear...That could have turned out very badly..but he swung around and stiff legged it out of there...or when I have been stomped and snorted at and then I stomped and snorted back...to be charged...yep another not so fun in the dark...I will never stop in a field to tie a drag on again ...I had a buck charge me and I had to quickly stand push my bow out hard in front of me as I ..hhmmm Yelped...may have tied a scream but it came out like a high pitched yelp...I could hear him nearly somersault as he came to and abrupt stop and turned away ..way to close for comfort...I only use drags in day light now...Hey so many years of hunting and so many ideas that pop into my head on those usually quiet walks in and definitely long quiet hours on stand...Some good others...well.......:negative: Skipping landed me the best buck fight I have ever seen not 2 mins after I had past them...they fought all the way to and under my stand and the sounds were crazy.  As it got light one of them broke off and came my way a huge typical 8 with steam rolling off and out of him  but he was just  out of range.. wish cell phones were around then it's an image I won't forget though. ps I have never heard rattling or any grunting that could match the sounds those two were makeing as they fought through our woods..and it lasted a long timeI bet they traveled 300 yrds fighting...

I'd fear the deer in your area grow!  

Do what you wish  ChrisW ..for some reason what others do bothers you... Thats OK  Many a people have tried many a thing in the deer woods and gotten many a deer...HHmmmm I do wonder...was the idea for ever calm and nose jammer and a variety of grunt ,turkey calls ,ect,ect... used in some guys home on his family...or do ya think he took his ideas to the woods and used what ever results he deemed good before the final out come....Please! don't answer that it's rhetorical...

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Dead calm here , leaves dry and noisy . I’m in a little early for me , but buying that TenPoint xbow was faster then I thought .

I suggest sighting it in dead-on at 60 yds. This way anything under you hold a little low and anything out to 100yds you hold a little high. 100-150yds hold on top of back. 150-200yds put a little daylight between the crosshairs and the back.

It really is a nice afternoon. Too warm but a long week at work and I needed some woods therapy.

Been in for a little while now. Jumped a nice buck on the way in that kind of bums me out. There was a doe with him and I waited a while and almost got a shot. I wasn’t going to take her but tempted as I’ve never shot one on the ground before. 5 minutes in the stand and a bb so far. By himself which makes me wonder if mom kicked him out already. That would be good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Well I’m up. Decided to take the climber out. After crunching through the leaves. I made a racket. Fought with the safety strap that kept falling to stand as I pushed it up to climb. Made a ton of noise. Who know. Maybe today is the day I tag one. Oh... and my bow hanger is at a crappy angle. Yay fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 1