Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

Well, buck fever got the best of me. Had the biggest buck I’ve ever seen (at least 4 years old) come to 44 yards of me and start scraping. I didn’t take the time to distance him properly, thought he was 30 yards or less, so of course shot too low. Will he be coming back at all? The whole area smells of his hormones now. 

Archery 101 man... but we’ve all been there. He will be back so long as he didn’t see you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warmed up significantly in 8f. Was warm to begin with but didn’t want to sit at home. Nothing is moving on what is now my 4th sit. Might be my first without any action.

And Mother Nature didn’t let me sit comfortably so I’ve left my mark on the stand too

Hadn't planned for this.  Can anyone recommend a processor /butcher in the saugerties Catskill area and also someone to do a rug or tanning.  With deer I butcher myself but i don't want to ruin the fur. Thanks. 

There are some decent YouTube videos out there for bear. One I think is Colorado fish and game that I like. Don’t worry about fleshing paws or the head.

8 minutes ago, Belo said:

That’s what rangefinders are for. Know your distances at Your stands. Pick trees/stumps whatever and know their distance.

Maybe a dumb question but does anyone use surveyors tape to mark ranges ? I think it would be very useful  Different colors for different ranges etc

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Maybe a dumb question but does anyone use surveyors tape to mark ranges ? I think it would be very useful  Different colors for different ranges etc

Yeah why not? You can use whatever you want. Just don’t do what I did and guess...with a laser rangefinder hanging around my neck. 

• Like 1

Yeah why not? You can use whatever you want. Just don’t do what I did and guess...with a laser rangefinder hanging around my neck. 

It’s not easy or ideal to range the deer when they’re present, that’s why I recommend knowing the distances of your shooting lanes and if it’s fairly open, keeping s mental record of distances around you based on markers.

For example I’ll mark a stump at 35 and know anything before that is fair game and Anything after isn’t. I use only 2 pins so it also serves a nice marker to use my second pin.

For most hunters generally anything under 30 can be handled by a single pin.

I used to use flagging tape before rangefinders on some difficult stands to judge from.

Now I know my regular stands by heart but any new spot once it's light I'm ranging all around me.

• Like 1

Got my first bow kill last night. Five miles west of Catskill.  Was in the stand by 3:15pm. 4:15 I hear something crashing through the woods.  she charged down the hill behind me and then stopped one tree behind mine. Close shot. At first I thought the arrow went through because I saw the back of it on the ground but it broke.  She ran 40 yards and lay down, grunted, that was it. 
https://urbancowboy.smugmug.com/Other/Jan2017/i-24Qnf5W
20171021_165814.thumb.jpg.0315bd0c0b09d4c132e4e9f973980f1e.jpg
Congrats

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hadn't planned for this.  Can anyone recommend a processor /butcher in the saugerties Catskill area and also someone to do a rug or tanning.  With deer I butcher myself but i don't want to ruin the fur. Thanks. 
I do about a processor in your area, but for the rug I would take it to True life taxidermy in Middletown they are the best.

• Like 1

That’s what rangefinders are for. Know your distances at Your stands. Pick trees/stumps whatever and know their distance.

I do this too without a range finder just to have my quick reference

It’s not easy or ideal to range the deer when they’re present, that’s why I recommend knowing the distances of your shooting lanes and if it’s fairly open, keeping s mental record of distances around you based on markers.

For example I’ll mark a stump at 35 and know anything before that is fair game and Anything after isn’t. I use only 2 pins so it also serves a nice marker to use my second pin.

For most hunters generally anything under 30 can be handled by a single pin.

I do the same as i hunt with a pendulum sight.

Good luck.on the buck....hhmmm nothing and I really need to finish trails before the good weather comes in. I had wondered the ethics on releasing  my cross  bow field point on a squirrel  then packing up...Well that was easy poof they ALL disappeared  at the mere thought...lol I'll  have to hit the cube when I get home.

3 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Well, siiting in the house waiting a while. Got down checked my arrow, abow 8-10" missing. Decent blood and brown hair on the ground. I may have seen him drop but im too worried. Gonna eat some breakfast then headed back in.

Quartering?  Hit Where? How far up the remaining arrow shaft is blood (penetration indicator).  If only 8-10 through shoulder quartering is not great.

Edited by OtiscoPaul

Well, siiting in the house waiting a while. Got down checked my arrow, abow 8-10" missing. Decent blood and brown hair on the ground. I may have seen him drop but im too worried. Gonna eat some breakfast then headed back in.

Call deer search while you wait. Better to have them there just in case.