Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

54 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Maybe a dumb question but does anyone use surveyors tape to mark ranges ? I think it would be very useful  Different colors for different ranges etc

I hunt with 3 pins, green ,yellow,red for 20,30,40 yards . I mark all my stands with colored duct tape that corresponds with the yardage and the appropriate  color . No reason not to if you are going to be hunting  the same spot over and over again.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Broadside, little over 20 yards, maybe slight quarting away. Looked like right at the shoulder, i dont know if he stepped and the shoulder was back when i shot.

Deer search is not a terrible idea because they can dispatch the animal and if it's just a shoulder and a bit of lung on a mature buck that's not a debilitating shot until (if) death arrives many hours later. 

Maybe if you bump him once on the initial attempt call them.

Edited by OtiscoPaul

8 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I hunt with 3 pins, green ,yellow,red for 20,30,40 yards . I mark all my stands with colored duct tape that corresponds with the yardage and the appropriate  color . No reason not to if you are going to be hunting  the same spot over and over again.

Solid idea right there !  And hoping you're not color blind ^_^

Did a scout on my way back in... walked up the drainage that runs down my hill into the creek.... tons of sign all the way up. At the top there is a saddle In two very steep ridge tops that is making a great funnel for deer travel.... found this smack in the middle of the funnel..... needless to say I'll be moving a stand up there 39f537192252439f0467fc0bee40a85b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Yes it is compound for  deer cross bow for turkey. ..I couldn't find where it was illegal to have both as long as I'm not shooting a deer with the cross bow . If it is my bad because I've been bring both for a few falls....cross bow is legal for fall turkey.
I just confirmed with my friend who is a DEC officer and it is illegal to have both weapons with you. You are actively deer hunting while in possession of an illegal weapon to use for deer hunting. You can only have one or the other. I too thought this was the case and I wanted to confirm first...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I just confirmed with my friend who is a DEC officer and it is illegal to have both weapons with you. You are actively deer hunting while in possession of an illegal weapon to use for deer hunting. You can only have one or the other. I too thought this was the case and I wanted to confirm first...

I thought so as well but as usual you need a dec officer to clarify rather than a simple writing of the rule.

Edited by OtiscoPaul

5 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Thought that may be the case as well. Now we know   Can I have a .22 rifle during regular gun season to shoot squirrels while deer hunting ? Not that I plan on it but curious   Or can I carry 2 ML's during ML season ?

45 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

Did a scout on my way back in... walked up the drainage that runs down my hill into the creek.... tons of sign all the way up. At the top there is a saddle In two very steep ridge tops that is making a great funnel for deer travel.... found this smack in the middle of the funnel..... needless to say I'll be moving a stand up there 39f537192252439f0467fc0bee40a85b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the exact topo 4 of my archery bucks and countless doe harvests come from.

• Like 1

Thought that may be the case as well. Now we know   Can I have a .22 rifle during regular gun season to shoot squirrels while deer hunting ? Not that I plan on it but curious   Or can I carry 2 ML's during ML season ?
I'm not sure on the 2 muzzleloaders but I'd assume not. I don't think a revolver muzzleloader is legal either if I remember correctly. I can carry a sidearm with me while gun hunting so I'd assume you'd be safe with a 22 for squirrels? It's not like you're going to choose to shoot deer with a 22 while you're carrying a rifle/shotgun. The bow/crossbow thing is like goose hunting for instance, coyote and goose season is open at the same time but you can't be in possession of buckshot while goose hunting because it's an illegal implement for the species you're targeting (in case you see a coyote)...

• Like 1