Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

2 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Maybe a dumb question but does anyone use surveyors tape to mark ranges ? I think it would be very useful  Different colors for different ranges etc

I have in the past , marked 30 and 20 . Then I stopped  never shot at a deer at 30 and frankly my average shot is closer to 15- 20 . Never owned a range finder either .

47 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I just confirmed with my friend who is a DEC officer and it is illegal to have both weapons with you. You are actively deer hunting while in possession of an illegal weapon to use for deer hunting. You can only have one or the other. I too thought this was the case and I wanted to confirm first...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

ChrisW

I won't get into this with you Other than to say I have talked to officers in 3 different regions on specific laws and got 3 different answers...Now I went back for the 5 or 6th time and read all the regulations printed for hunters...words are important..it is illegal to take a deer...no where does it say to possess ...It states clearly in a couple of place it is illegal, to take an animal. Now they are specific on the carrying of certain calibers and rim fires during certain season and areas...there are several area  specific restrictions...So all this said, your officer friend needs to mail you specific written regulations that says, specifically it is illegal to carry  both weapons during legal hunting seasons...for I am in two legal hunting season right now and no where...let me say this again no where does it state you can not hunt two different animals at the same time during their respective seasons .. This written regulation had best be widely and easily available for viewing...then I won't carry both..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ChrisW
I won't get into this with you Other than to say I have talked to officers in 3 different regions on specific laws and got 3 different answers...Now I went back for the 5 or 6th time and read all the regulations printed for hunters...words are important..it is illegal to take a deer...no where does it say to possess ...It states clearly in a couple of place it is illegal, to take an animal. Now they are specific on the carrying of certain calibers and rim fires during certain season and areas...there are several area  specific restrictions...So all this said, your officer friend needs to mail you specific written regulations that says, specifically it is illegal to carry  both weapons during legal hunting seasons...for I am in two legal hunting season right now and no where...let me say this again no where does it state you can not hunt two different animals at the same time during their respective seasons .. This written regulation had best be widely and easily available for viewing...then I won't carry both..
Then continue to break the law and play ignorant, it's your ticket, not mine. You as well as others were unsure on this so I contacted a LEO that I know and he said it is definitely not legal. You're "actively" pursuing a game animal while in possession of an illegal weapon for taking said animal... The same reason we can't carry firearms while bowhunting. Can you take your shotgun with you bowhunting in case you see a turkey?? No. To act like you see where this is not whatsoever a conflict of interest is asinine. It seems if you were unsure on this yourself (which you are) then you would call a DEC officer yourself to make sure you aren't violating any game laws. Maybe you'll get lucky and yours will say you can. If you want to start a p**sing match because you dislike me we can do it in a thread. Otherwise, this isn't the thread to hash this out. You got an answer, you didn't like it... Period.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I do not know you to dislike you...I stated you need to ask your officer friend to cough up the written regulation stating carrying ..remember carrying both weapons at the same time during two legal seasons is illegal..Again 3 different regional officers and 3 different answers to questions concerning DEC law...Not illegal until they have written regulations...As far as intent really... in a turkey blind Unless they are seeing deer blood on a bolt difficult to hide mind you, I'd let intent go to court... no problem

Edited by growalot

So to pick up my story from yesterday 4 others and myself went out late morning to pick up where we left off. We quickly found more blood. The trail went on for 50-75 then nothing.

We all searched that area for quite a long time. After a few hours we decided to go back to the hit sight and see if we could find the arrow now that it’s light out.

We find the arrow 30 yards back and left of where I hit him. Arrow had almost no blood on it, fat and hair.

As Belo stated earlier brisket shot. I’m a bit happy to know that he will more than likely survive the shot and a bit bummed I didn’t make a better shot.

My daughter was with me at my side from start to finish which is pretty cool. I think the last 2 days taught her some important things about hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4