Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

10 hours ago, grampy said:

No deer seen. My grandson is still looking to get his first one, on our next hunt together. No fault of his. As he did awesome! I should have chosen a different spot.

Hey that's all part of hunting. I am sure he had a great time anyway. I am in the same boat this year can't seem to pick the right stand!!  Hope it's not something we caught up on the hill!!  Lol

17 minutes ago, biggamefish said:

Hey that's all part of hunting. I am sure he had a great time anyway. I am in the same boat this year can't seem to pick the right stand!!  Hope it's not something we caught up on the hill!!  Lol

Pretty sure the stand selection was ok. But bad timing, as the local snowmobile club picked that morning, to rebuild the bridge over the creek just below us. By the time we came out, it was already pushing 60 degrees. So we headed over to the farm property to check cams, move a kadder stand and take a wheeler ride. We had a lot of fun that day, even if he didn't kill a deer. But this is his year! Fall travel baseball and school football are winding down now. That will give him more time to hunt with grampy. And time is all we really need. 

As far as the hill goes, we are getting plenty of bucks on cam. But most all are still at night Matt. Things are about to change though! They are there!

• Like 7

Couldn't get a signal before, so just posting now. Beautiful afternoon, got settled in around 4:00 pm. Tried that Evercalm stuff for the first time. Had a doe bed down on my trail and hung around for 15 minutes or so. Was mostly within 10 yards.  I took her when she got up to get moving. 20 yard shot. Picture in the harvest thread.
IMG_2341.thumb.JPG.c0a8e98977b22d8be470f6bc94a2dfd9.JPG
Congrats

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Note to self, dont leave your rattling set at your treestand for an extended period of time. 87fc729bfcd0a0fc587296d6f7a054a8.jpg&key=d03eb38a4b8f0ef6801f1757a0860b23efe05630b19f0653af889af17ff432a8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy crap how long did you leave them there!? They hit that hard. Hope they at least left you a nice tip for their meal

Was able to sit in stand on Sat. Morning got a good look at an up and comer and the stud of the property. 120" 8 point on the prowl around our property big neck and body made the little 4 point look like a fawn. Wasn't a monster but majority of the deer on this piece of property won't make it past 3 1/2 with the brown it's down neighbors.

Edited by chas0218

Note to self, dont leave your rattling set at your treestand for an extended period of time. 87fc729bfcd0a0fc587296d6f7a054a8.jpg&key=d03eb38a4b8f0ef6801f1757a0860b23efe05630b19f0653af889af17ff432a8

Looks like it melted! Obviously I am aware the tree rats got to it

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Haha! My old man did the same thing years ago. We came back the next fall and it was a 2 point rack instead of a 8 point lol! Crazy how fast the tree rats chew them up.

Had my most action packed sit this morning. I was in 2 minds when the alarm went off and I dragged my azz about the house till 30 minutes before legal light. I was not expecting much based on the temps, but also knew this week was when things typically ramp up. I chose a stand I never sit because it is very close to the house and to the road by our house. It gets noisy, which can actually be good sound cover but I like to hear the crunchy steps of deer myself. This stand has had a scrape come up behind it the last 3 seasons and I got some video of a couple of beasts last year after bow ended, scent marking the branches of a beech tree 15 yards from the stand.

So, about 8 am the local 4 pointer, current king of the woods, comes past at about 40 yards. He is now a 2 pointer, having lost half his head gear already. I enjoyed the spectacle and he wandered off after 10 minutes. About 5 minutes later 3 or 4 doe come tearing through the woods and run right past me. Mr 2 pointer comes in right after, grunting and panting and generally putting on a great show. One of  the doe peels off and comes up right behind me to the scrape. She eventually beds down to catch her breath. She wheezed a couple of times, I did not want to blow the stand, even for a doe, so I was immobile as possible and did not look behind. I think she actually had a cold, because when I eventually looked back she was resting about 10 yards behind me. Eventually she got up, walked right under me, sniffed the ladder and started to munch on ferns. I had used my home-brew acorn cover scent this morning. Seemed to work well.

I was tempted briefly to test my Schwackers for the first time, but although Doe numbers are up a little, they are still way down from before the 2 bad winters we had. I had her in range for 20 minutes. Lucky gal. Also, no better Buck bait then a live doe under the stand. She too eventually wandered off and I got down to get ready for work. There are new scrapes and aggressive rub zones all over now. I think I will do an all day sit this coming Wednesday.  Might sit the neighbors this evening and see if I can connect with the 3 year old I have on cam there.

This rub is part of a series not too far from the stand. Wonder if Mr 2 pointer did this or something bigger. I put  a cam over the area

IMG_20171022_152317.jpg

• Like 7

On 10/22/2017 at 10:58 AM, chrisw said:

I just confirmed with my friend who is a DEC officer and it is illegal to have both weapons with you. You are actively deer hunting while in possession of an illegal weapon to use for deer hunting. You can only have one or the other. I too thought this was the case and I wanted to confirm first...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

how dare you call out grow. she knows all laws and regulations. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, chrisw said:

Then continue to break the law and play ignorant, it's your ticket, not mine. You as well as others were unsure on this so I contacted a LEO that I know and he said it is definitely not legal. You're "actively" pursuing a game animal while in possession of an illegal weapon for taking said animal... The same reason we can't carry firearms while bowhunting. Can you take your shotgun with you bowhunting in case you see a turkey?? No. To act like you see where this is not whatsoever a conflict of interest is asinine. It seems if you were unsure on this yourself (which you are) then you would call a DEC officer yourself to make sure you aren't violating any game laws. Maybe you'll get lucky and yours will say you can. If you want to start a p**sing match because you dislike me we can do it in a thread. Otherwise, this isn't the thread to hash this out. You got an answer, you didn't like it... Period.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

bingo

19 minutes ago, Belo said:

how dare you call out grow. she knows all laws and regulations. 

You guys sure give her a hard time....I would be willing to bet it is intended to be illegal. I would also be willing to bet that Grow is correct and could win in a court of law because I am sure it says no where in there that you can't carry a bow and a crossbow. I would be willing to bet all those regulations were written before crossbows were legal in NY so if you wanted to and had the time/money/lawyer to fight it I would be willing to bet you could get out of a ticket. Intending to be illegal and illegal are two different things. Its no different than the stupid gun laws we get when people write laws that no nothing about guns....My guess is that Grow is actually correct and the way the laws are written it is technically not illegal but that the area LEO may/probably would still give you a ticket that you would have to fight. Just my worthless 2 cents.

• Like 8

55 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

You guys sure give her a hard time....

really though. she claims to have her watch beep when official sunrise and sunset hit. I'm ok with all that. Trying follow every rule and law is what we should all aspire to. But when she's called out on something she will never back down with a simple "oh my bad, thanks for clarifying". It just turns into a battle trying to prove she wasn't wrong. We're all wrong from time to time. 

that's the last I'll say of it here. not the place. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Northsox65 said:

I didn't know we had so Many from Tompkins County, I hunt Dryden, Yellow Barn/Hammond Hill.

I'm not from Tompkins, but I do make a few trips up there every year. One of my HS buddies from Long Island moved up there about 20 yrs ago. It really is some beautiful country up there. 

Busted a doe by stand. I'm having a hoot up here watching my 9yr old thru my binos sitting in his makeshift tree stand with his binos and little bow, he was just pretending to shoot something with his bow, super fun watching him. Lucky his arrow wouldn't penetrate a piece cardboard.

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Doctor said scratched cornea. Should be good for contacts again this weekend. Cost me $190 for the visit and another $10 for copay least I'll be back hunting Saturday!

How'd you manage that ? Hoping it wasn't stick in the eye with no flashlight in the morning.

How'd you manage that ? Hoping it wasn't stick in the eye with no flashlight in the morning.

Nope, just a dried out contact pulling a nice little chunk off when I took them out lol. Hurt like a bastard. Felt like a vampire all yesterday. Now just a little fuzzy in the left eye. 5 days of antibiotics and I'll be back and ready for action hopefully to kill that damn buck I missed my first day out like a total noob