Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

Pic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, I was too busy trying to decide if I wanted to shoot him or not, he had 4 on his right with short times and looked to be just a long spike on his left. I'll take my chances letting him go for now.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

One of my hunting buddies a few hundred yards away just had the stand he was in give out and his safety harness caught him. Thank goodness he’s ok. 
8998581E-ED7B-478D-BF52-9C64F47B129F.thumb.jpeg.0eb4d766eb29836e1432828a56ff14ca.jpeg
Thanks goodness he was wearing a harness. What brand stand was it?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Today was my first hunt of the year. I hunted a new spot in 7m that I had never set foot on. I scouted from the road and from Google maps to confirm what I was seeing from the road. I picked a saddle with mostly oak trees with thorn apples below on one side and a thick swamp on the other side. 

The morning started with a light frost and as it got light and warmed up, I was covered in fog for about an hour. I walked in in almost dark conditions, and got to the saddle and waited for it to get light enough to pick a tree and use my climber to get up about 20 feet. I pulled up my bow and thermos and settled in for a chilly sit.

Until the fog disappeared about 8:30, I never saw a deer. From about 8:40 until 11:00, I saw 17 deer that I could identify by eye or with binoculars, and another half dozen I just couldn't tell what they were. 4 were bucks with the largest being a basket eight. The rest were a mix of does and fawns. Seems like a pretty solid spot, but have no idea if there are any bucks i will be interested in or not. The farmer claims there are a couple big ones, but I like to see them with my own eyes to judge.

Like most of my spots, this is open land with permission granted as long as you are willing to take some does. There was nobody else hunting there this morning. 

• Like 3

Out of the car and into the woods just around legal. Bumped two not even 100 yards off the road. Couldn't tell if they were does or bucks. They just mooned me and jetted off. 

Started still hunting, had a doe clear broadside at 20 but decided to pass. Holding out to have a buck be my first. Also figured that's three deer in less than 15 minutes, I'll we swimming in em throughout the day. 

Ended up bumping one buck while trying to cut through some brush as a shortcut and that was it. 

Might have to take whatever comes my way first next time out.

Even though it was slightly chillier this morning (around 45-50) they're still not moving. All deer I saw were bedded. 

Started getting too warm in the afternoon so I tried sitting. Got bored after an hour. Just then some random woman stomping down the trail looking for mushrooms I think. Decided to pack it up, perfect timing as some large hiking group started making their way in.

Need some true weather shifts to get those bucks on their feet.