Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

4 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Here's a wild statement- I have NEVER seen rutting activity in my 10 years of bow hunting - no vocalizations, no chasing, no scraping or rubbing of trees, no bucks fighting...while i am in stand - I know it must happen but I also know that I am not able to be I he woods for any consistent chunk of time/days in a row based on my teaching schedule. I know it MUST happen but I have just never hit it right: maybe I will get to see it in 9 hours after an Evan Williams induced nap that is set to commence in 5, 4, 3, 2.....zzzzzz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy some trail cams. It's a real thing. 

Here's a wild statement- I have NEVER seen rutting activity in my 10 years of bow hunting - no vocalizations, no chasing, no scraping or rubbing of trees, no bucks fighting...while i am in stand - I know it must happen but I also know that I am not able to be I he woods for any consistent chunk of time/days in a row based on my teaching schedule. I know it MUST happen but I have just never hit it right: maybe I will get to see it in 9 hours after an Evan Williams induced nap that is set to commence in 5, 4, 3, 2.....zzzzzz

I don't catch it every year but when you do, hoo boy! If you're on a hot doe sometimes you'll see a parade of bucks

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

Easy cowboy- trail cams does not make me see it live from the woods. I am not saying it does not happen (actually I think i said that in my initial post!?!).

:pleasantry: 

to me its the difference between having to carefully ambush a deer on his/her route vs being in the right place to get a shot when they are chasing each other and not paying attention to anything else.  

Btw if anyone has experience hunting in Westchester big peninsula / louden and wants to give me some tips I'd appreciate it.  Private message is fine.  I went to the peninsula today for the first time to scout. 

default_pleasantry.gif 
to me its the difference between having to carefully ambush a deer on his/her route vs being in the right place to get a shot when they are chasing each other and not paying attention to anything else.  
Btw if anyone has experience hunting in Westchester big peninsula / louden and wants to give me some tips I'd appreciate it.  Private message is fine.  I went to the peninsula today for the first time to scout. 

At the peninsula hug the swap all the way to the left and go as deep as you can

f me stupidest day ever yesterday. I, will explain that at a later time.

I got snow on the ground but the wind is blowing like 22 freakin MPH! rrrr with a gun i might not bowgun. Its supposed to go down all day so i got a task related to yesterstupidday i might try to do after light and get out for a long sit later.

7 hours ago, crappyice said:

I've been hunting for 26 years and have never seen bucks fight or run around with their dinks dragging on the ground . If people didn't tell me the deer were rutting i would have no clue . I have 8 cameras on 88 acres too this year.

When your wife has had enough of “the rut” and it’s blowing like hell outside you score some brownie points8dac53f7f3866080a59c467d9319310d.jpg&key=cce1f1a40e8125094581bb8ffadd8e79bfe47eef81a75c377c60ea1d772c1309

I'm on the same game plan this morning.

"Want me to bring the boy to grandma's this morning so you can sleep in?"

Nice...

Oh, I'm also going for a midday hunt near grandma's.

I'm all thumbs when using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Note going to lie...just not into it. I'm Tired ,I'm beyond sore, I'm discouraged.20 degrees feels like 9 and 18 mph winds with snow on the ground..I spent 2 days walking around in their bedrooms and yesterday said ,screw it and leaf blew half of The trails across the street...which I'm sure blew right back in WTH. Too dangerous to even think of being in our woods with these winds. I Do know a few things now....like I counted 90...Yes that's right 90 beds in the neighbors golden rod...then 23 scraps on the neighbors swamp on the other side of me..lost count of rubs..... Now my middle of woods cam had 155  pics in two days.since Apple's dropped...Oh and they ate every single oat nut off the mature oats and are now bedding in them....with all that we saw just 2 deer in 2 days on over 300 acres..never even heard deer running away....?????

Note going to lie...just not into it. I'm Tired ,I'm beyond sore, I'm discouraged.20 degrees feels like 9 and 18 mph winds with snow on the ground..I spent 2 days walking around in their bedrooms and yesterday said ,screw it and leaf blew half of The trails across the street...which I'm sure blew right back in WTH. Too dangerous to even think of being in our woods with these winds. I Do know a few things now....like I counted 90...Yes that's right 90 beds in the neighbors golden rod...then 23 scraps on the neighbors swamp on the other side of me..lost count of rubs..... Now my middle of woods cam had 155  pics in two days.since Apple's dropped...Oh and they ate every single oat nut off the mature oats and are now bedding in them....with all that we saw just 2 deer in 2 days on over 300 acres..never even heard deer running away....?????

Not that it's for me to say, but I'd say you deserve a day off...

I'm all thumbs when using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Snow on the ground here, just a dusting, but it’s enough to make visibility better. I’m on daddy duty until 2pm though, so, I’ll sneak out for a quick 2.5 hour hunt this evening. Good luck to everyone out, I’ll be following along to see how things are going!

Hunt #49... WTF was I thinking? Wind chill of 9 degrees and 23mph wind. Do have snow on the ground. I walked ~500 yards to my stand, but never saw a track in the snow. Only 1 more week
left, so I've been trying to go balls to the wall with all day hunts. No sign of the rut get and it's to the point where it's just not fun anymore.

Think I'll pull the plug ~10am and run to Bass Pro to get some ammo for a break. I'm sure I'll be back for an evening hunt.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 2