Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

7 minutes ago, Whereareyoubuck said:

Never tried to find it, wouldn’t even know where to start!

I did have a 6 pointer walk past me at 10 am though. 

In the pictures that you have of him, do you have an idea where he is heading? If you have photos of him going to a food source in the evening, and returning on the same trail in the morning, he is probably on a trail leading to his bedding area. My bucks here like to bed in a thick, new growth area that was logged about 6 years ago.

Shot an 8 pt Thursday AM, he came in range with the grunt tube. Thursday PM watched a six check every doe in the field and run two of them. Friday AM, no activity until about 9:00 - two different six pointers looking for does. Skipped the pm hunt. Back at it this am. One 6 and one 8 each looking for does, nose down no response with the grunt tube. Walked out to the vehicle for a short time and watched a six run a doe with fawns...

A lot of good movement in 8T...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ff8e4c3ffa337d1cc8dd4a5b62e79089.jpg

• Like 25

Hunted Geneseo with my youngest son Nick. It was cçccold . Between 645 and 815 I saw 8 doe 1 buck and 1 not sure of its sex. Nothing after that. Got down and took a slow walk down the lane way at 11 am.
. Nothing there. Called it a day and headed home . At least I saw some action .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Back in here as well. Sweating my tail off from the walk in. Saw 1 coming in while walking on the Pringles. Too nice not to be out and it's my last chance to bow hunt this season. Only 30 hours or so in is really sad.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I bought these Lacrosse 1600 gram boots and they suck, my feet are cold. I’ll have to try different socks

This season I have been afield in the Kamik Men's Bushman Snow Boot. So far so good. Much cheaper than the Mucks I used to get.I was outside for a couple of hours today. No cold toe issues. I do wear 2 pairs of socks tho. That for me is the key to warm tootsies. Layers on layers

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I’m back in, I set my climber up next to my friends son to video him. Then in going to get drunk and sleep in lol. I bought these Lacrosse 1600 gram boots and they suck, my feet are cold. I’ll have to try different socks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I use the stick on toe warmers. I never thought about my feet until I read your post .I have been out for 6 hrs  8 degrees to 33 now, and I l be here until dark.

• Like 1

This season I have been afield in the Kamik Men's Bushman Snow Boot. So far so good. Much cheaper than the Mucks I used to get.I was outside for a couple of hours today. No cold toe issues. I do wear 2 pairs of socks tho. That for me is the key to warm tootsies. Layers on layers

Felt inserts?

Sat till 9am. Took lunch break.

Had great idea to set the climber over some scrapes. When I went back in at 12.

Sweating bullets and soaked all my layers.

Got aet up and Stripped down to dry out and freeze my ads for a bit when suddenly my stomach cramped and burgled. Had to get down that tree fast as all he'll. Massive runs leaning against a tree with 3 paper towels.

Thought about throwing in the towel but didn't want to ditch my buddy.

Got half way back up and had to scramble back down again and shit.

Said f this. Done for the day. Gonna sit tomorrow morning so I'm drying my sweat soaked clothes.

:(

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I’m back in, I set my climber up next to my friends son to video him. Then in going to get drunk and sleep in lol. I bought these Lacrosse 1600 gram boots and they suck, my feet are cold. I’ll have to try different socks

Wool socks. Not too thick though. Need a good amount of space inside the boot. Too thick and tight and you’ll freeze. The disposable insole warmers are really good also, they saved me many times.
  • Like 4

Back at it again from a different stand. Morning was nice. Saw a few different doe and got busted by a nice size one while trying to turn to see. Threw a extra layer on from the morning and now it’s almost to much

4 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

So of course I get back up in my tree and a fork comes out, he starts posturing about 70 yards away and out steps the biggest buck I’ve ever seen from a tree. Ten points I think (nine for sure)long tines and way outside his ears! The fork walked to him and they went up toward the road. Man I wish they went past the kid! I’ll be in here Saturday but I’m guessing he will have moved on. As they say, you can’t shoot a big one if you don’t pass a small one lol. I’m happy I got this deer and happy I saw that one

I had a similar experience today and yesterday.  My folks had been watching a big, 2.5 year old 6 point and a little 1.5 year old 4 point hanging out together all summer at their place.  Yesterday afternoon, the big one offered me shot (see crossbow harvest thread) but his rack was busted up and he was down to 5 points left.  If the 4 would have showed up first, he would have taken the bolt instead at this point in the season.   He did show up this morning, while I was over there looking for a doe, the rope pulley I lost, and my bolt.    It won't bother me too much if a bigger one shows up this afternoon or tomorrow (my last days to hunt archery season), but that has not happened to me after punching a tag in the 35 years that I have been hunting deer.  Admittedly, the effort I put in drops way off after my buck tag is filled, which probably has a lot to do with it.    Where the heck are all the does?  I am still waiting to christen my crossbow on one of those.  Even a tasty button buck would be good.   Either one would give us enough venison to make it thru until next year at this point.        

• Like 1