Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

One spike near last light . Told the Mrs I would shoot a doe tonight if given the chance , she talked me out of it . Said we have ground and I'll shoot a buck in gun and perhaps a doe on a drive and if Kathy kills  something , way to much meat .

Well wouldn't that be nice !

Off next two,days may hunt tue AM. Still have work to do on some gun  stands , normally I've got a buck with a week or two , to do gun stand work before OD .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

Another great day if hunting but no big buck.  Got within 75 yards of a real beauty but all he cared about was going after that doe that just took off. Played cat and mouse with him for a half hour trying to beat him to the corners of a field he never knew I was there.  But saw 5 deer this morn and 5 tonite.  Had a 4 point at 25yards but passed. Got Tues and Wed off. Those are gonna be all day sits in my two hottest stands and we will see.  

• Like 2

So after the buck went through we had a button come through. I told Haley to stand up and get ready. He was making his way down a trail that goes past the stand at 10 yards. At about 30 he veered off the trail and started milling around eating acorns. He stayed there for a while, then moved to 25 yards and hung up there for a while. Haley was shaking like crazy the whole time. He started moving toward the plot at 20 yards, got behind a tree and I told Her to draw. She drew, I stopped Him and she punched the trigger. I watched as the arrow flew and then all of a sudden deflected down and hit the ground right behind his front feet. He took a couple of bounds and stopped to look around. I told Her to get another arrow ready and see if he would give her another chance. He moved I to The plot but never got into Range. We got down and found her arrow. There was a small thorn bush right there that she didn’t see. I’m thinking she nicked it and that caused the miss. Bow season is done for us. On to gun when I get Back from Nashville. 

• Like 12

One doe tonight alone just not ready to take a doe yet,, very quiet night with almost no wind...

Need to get a new stand up this week for gun going to have to take a night off hunting to do so, never enough time in the day, need to be more comfortable for a all day sit..

Hopefully have some big buck action this week..

Good luck to all going out in the AM ..

12 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

On to gun when I get Back from Nashville. 

Hope your audition goes well ! 

My nephew owns a pretty successful business in that town btw ,wha field are you in ?

• Like 3

Hit a 6-pointer! Unfortunately I don’t know where. It was not a lung shot, there’s some gray hair on the ground, and barely any blood on the arrow. I tracked the blood for a little bit, which is bright red, and saw areas where he laid down. I stopped tracking an hour ago, how much longer should I wait?

2 minutes ago, Whereareyoubuck said:

Hit a 6-pointer! Unfortunately I don’t know where. It was not a lung shot, there’s some gray hair on the ground, and barely any blood on the arrow. I tracked the blood for a little bit, which is bright red, and saw areas where he laid down. I stopped tracking an hour ago, how much longer should I wait?

Til morning .  Don't push him . Plenty cold. Only risk is of course coyotes.  Wait for daylight and hope for the best. If it's not a paved red blood trail it's best to leave them til morn.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Whereareyoubuck said:

Darn! I’m not gonna be able to sleep all night!

Yup . Spent quite a few of those but have learned the hard way. I'm hoping you have access to all the land around you . If you trailed for an hour and found where it layed down and got back up it might go a ways yet. But laying down is a good sign .   But if you didn't push it at all it prob would've been in that spot in the morn if it's a kill shot.  I never go after them unless the area is just a bloody mess or I saw them go down.  

Best of luck on finding him . Hope to see hero pics of you and your buck !  

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Yup . Spent quite a few of those but have learned the hard way. I'm hoping you have access to all the land around you . If you trailed for an hour and found where it layed down and got back up it might go a ways yet. But laying down is a good sign .   But if you didn't push it at all it prob would've been in that spot in the morn if it's a kill shot.  I never go after them unless the area is just a bloody mess or I saw them go down.  

Best of luck on finding him . Hope to see hero pics of you and your buck !  

This is pretty much how much blood was on the arrow...also a tiny bit on the shaft, and you can see some hair too.  

24C6DF10-C639-4243-9AFA-93DA36DE5D7C.jpeg

Edited by Whereareyoubuck
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Billdogge said:

Good night in 4b. Watched  a good buck get up out of his bed 300 yards away across swamp on side hill. About 1/2 hour later lots of grunting and chasing. Was good to see. Now just need them a bit closer.

Approximately one mile up the road from me in 4B there has already been 4 deer hit in the last two weeks on Rte. 144 / River Road !  I hope they are not all the ones we've been seeing in our back yard !  Three Does and One Buck !

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Whereareyoubuck said:

Doesn’t smell, I feel like it might be high on the back, that’s why the hair is gray? If it were the gut, the hair would be white, right?

Not necessarily......guts are BIG and not just on bottom.

• Like 1