Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

7 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

Hey,it is my third bow season as well. I learned a few things maybe as well. Been close to a two nice 2.5 year old bucks,and I think i am hooked on hunting from the ground mostly now. The heart gets pumping when a deer is close,more so than on the stand. Too bad i didn't get another bow harvest under my belt,i passed on some easy shots early on and let a six point walk. Thats all good though,i will fill the freezer with the muzzleloader, though I would have preferred the bow as the  tool of choice.

I have yet to get a buck over 4 points in front of the bow, and I haven't seen a buck this year since opening day.  I'd LOVE to see a buck over 1.5 yrs!  Walking around has been a great way for me to learn where to set up, but I'm to this point a terrible still hunter.  I got a lot of respect for the ground hunting fellas!

4 hours ago, reeltime said:

great chess game we have played over the past 2 seasons and sadly my my season is done, even likely for gun I am done.

Before I head back out just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS. That is a very nice buck. If I shot one like that I would be sitting out the gun season also. Put your feet up and enjoy your accomplishment....You deserve it:drinks:

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

was it a single lung or liver? what caused him not to die right away? just curious as we've had a lot of mortality discussion on here lately.

Right lung punched. Caught just the bottom of left one and just missed the heart. With a 100gr. Rage Hypo. This deer only went 50 yards from where it was hit, fell down the hill, and could not get back up. Why it did not die right away, is a mystery to us as well.

New ladder stand put in two weeks ago. I am superstitious about changing spots but Amtrak is working on the tracks and I use their access to access the back of our lease. We'll see what happens. Here till dark

20171114_133331.jpg

Edited by ApexerER
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ANTLERS said:

I️m hunting Long Island today and my wife who works in oyster bay Nassau county, sends me this pic she took of a buck standing next to her car, and he can’t be touched.

26EBDD98-0F3E-4C50-A816-EBEF1F329E75.png

sleep walking! nice buck

5 hours ago, reeltime said:

Wow..... Been a long time since I have had the shakes after putting an arrow in a buck..... That is up until an hour ago when I called a doe in that didn't appreciate all of pickets advances. Been down that path before and once again tipping the can over when the doe stopped running brought her right to what she thought was a ready doe..
Picket followed and stopped in the only open shot from that stand that is over 10 yards.
15 yard shot, I don't even know when I shot a deer at 15 yards last was I know it was a long time ago.

Said a quiet tribute to picket for the great chess game we have played over the past 2 seasons and sadly my my season is done, even likely for gun I am done.

Scrappy selfie but gotta do what ya gotta do, ain't no setting way back on this pic. What a stud of a buck.
8dd15d86c07ae76acab4ca5aaff13623.jpg

Sent from my LGL58VL using Tapatalk

Congrats on successful hunt, and an impressive deer! 

Congrats reel. That's a monster. 

Friday meeting has been rescheduled so I can give it another go. 

I think this time I'll really take whatever presents a shot first. 

Watch it be a spindly spike again. And of course as soon as I let the arrow fly, five 10 pointers will come strolling out. 

3 minutes ago, uberyan said:

Congrats reel. That's a monster. 

Friday meeting has been rescheduled so I can give it another go. 

I think this time I'll really take whatever presents a shot first. 

Watch it be a spindly spike again. And of course as soon as I let the arrow fly, five 10 pointers will come strolling out. 

Hey,at least you are still optimistic. I dont know if i will have the optimism to go out one more time.

It is freekin DEAD out here. The squirrels aren't even active. I have a thicket to my right and a thicket on my left, with a narrow 50 yard wide strip of woods dividing. I'm right in between the thickets. If there was any chasing or carrying on, I would hear it. Thought I might see a buck cruzin through scent checking the thickets...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

First all day sit but unfortunately it on a bus headed to Williamsburg, VA with 150 7th graders...some good work lately for the forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’re a hero my friend. My daughters went to DC and Quebec last week and I can’t think of any worse place to be than on one of those buses lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

You’re a hero my friend. My daughters went to DC and Quebec last week and I can’t think of any worse place to be than on one of those buses lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's funny.  I did the quebec and DC trips in 7th and 8th grade myself.  Good to know things haven't changed much.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

It is freekin DEAD out here. The squirrels aren't even active. I have a thicket to my right and a thicket on my left, with a narrow 50 yard wide strip of woods dividing. I'm right in between the thickets. If there was any chasing or carrying on, I would hear it. Thought I might see a buck cruzin through scent checking the thickets...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

You should have a shot at a nice one by now,talk about putting your time in... frustrating when it is not working out over a long stretch.

• Like 2

Cabin Fever, you and I share so much this season . I have stands on the edge of a 15 acre thicket , it would be dead silent , where most years I'd hear antlers banging , running ,grunting , this year zippo !

I just trimmed out a gun stand I never got to, put my bow  away and got out the  warm, orange rain gear .

I did the 8th grade trip to DC we had like 8 busses , our school only took parents who were police , fire and ems .  It was pretty impressive all the pre planning that went into it .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad
  • Like 2

In old reliable  1 stand. turkey's  behind chipmunks  all around me...No sign of deer..some  a hole released their dog to run property..It making it's  rounds now..This happens every single year before the gun opener..so predicatable.  Well hope he chases something this way. Next will be the single shot just before dark,real dark, Wed. through Friday. It's  almost tradition.

6 hours ago, reeltime said:

Wow..... Been a long time since I have had the shakes after putting an arrow in a buck..... That is up until an hour ago when I called a doe in that didn't appreciate all of pickets advances. Been down that path before and once again tipping the can over when the doe stopped running brought her right to what she thought was a ready doe..
Picket followed and stopped in the only open shot from that stand that is over 10 yards.
15 yard shot, I don't even know when I shot a deer at 15 yards last was I know it was a long time ago.

Said a quiet tribute to picket for the great chess game we have played over the past 2 seasons and sadly my my season is done, even likely for gun I am done.

Scrappy selfie but gotta do what ya gotta do, ain't no setting way back on this pic. What a stud of a buck.
8dd15d86c07ae76acab4ca5aaff13623.jpg

Sent from my LGL58VL using Tapatalk

Can't pound the "Like" button enough times, reel.  Helluva story, helluva buck!

• Like 1

That's funny.  I did the quebec and DC trips in 7th and 8th grade myself.  Good to know things haven't changed much.

Our DC trip is in March with the 8th grade- l do that one too-pretty much a paid “vacation” from the classroom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1