Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

1 hour ago, BowmanMike said:

Hey,at least you are still optimistic. I dont know if i will have the optimism to go out one more time.

Well it's my first bow season so I'm trying to stay positive. 

It wouldn't be so bad if the hunting spots were closer to home. Definitely envy those that can roll out of bed and walk out their back door to hunt.

from hearing what others have said, it looks like this season is just one of those oddball quiet seasons. 

Friday will be my 7th time in the woods since I started hunting last season. Hoping for lucky number 7. 

Edited by uberyan

2 minutes ago, uberyan said:

Well it's my first bow season so I'm trying to stay positive. 

And from hearing what others have said, it looks like this season is just one of those oddball quiet seasons. 

Friday will be my 7th time in the woods since I started hunting last season. Hoping for lucky number 7. 

Fingers crossed for you!

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

It is freekin DEAD out here. The squirrels aren't even active. I have a thicket to my right and a thicket on my left, with a narrow 50 yard wide strip of woods dividing. I'm right in between the thickets. If there was any chasing or carrying on, I would hear it. Thought I might see a buck cruzin through scent checking the thickets...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Only so much you can control Bob.  One thing is for sure, you have given yourself every opportunity with regard to seat time.  Normally does are an easy task for me.  This year I did not have one in range through 11 days of hard hunting starting Nov. 1.  And I am glad I shot the little buck as I never had a 3yr old in range either.  Only saw one. Just the way the cookie crumbles at times I guess.  First time I can't wait to move on to regular season.

• Like 5

At least I'm not the only one, I'm struggling to even see a deer now. I guess I should be happy with my 2 does, but I really expected more out of this season. I haven't killed a deer with a gun in 4 years now, so I'm not excited for gun season at all. I've only seen 2 bucks all year, and a handful of does. No sign of chasing or anything. Frustrating to say the least. What should've lit the bucks up (the cold snap) seemed to kill all sightings for me too.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Only so much you can control Bob.  One thing is for sure, you have given yourself every opportunity with regard to seat time.  Normally does are an easy task for me.  This year I did not have one in range through 11 days of hard hunting starting Nov. 1.  And I am glad I shot the little buck as I never had a 3yr old in range either.  Only saw one. Just the way the cookie crumbles at times I guess.  First time I can't wait to move on to regular season.

Agree. Sometimes it's just luck of the draw. I had 24 sits between compound & xbow so far this year (counting mornings & afternoons separate), and only seen 1 shooter (too far for shot). Meanwhile my Dad kills a 2.5 y/o that I would have shot on just his 4th day out. That's why you can't take those opening morning kills for granted.

Opening day of gun season 2007 (back when I only hunted gun season), I shot a basket 8pt. I got it mounted. My Dad told me it would be the first of many 8pt's to come. 10 years later, I haven't shot one or even shot at one since.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, reeltime said:

Wow..... Been a long time since I have had the shakes after putting an arrow in a buck..... That is up until an hour ago when I called a doe in that didn't appreciate all of pickets advances. Been down that path before and once again tipping the can over when the doe stopped running brought her right to what she thought was a ready doe..
Picket followed and stopped in the only open shot from that stand that is over 10 yards.
15 yard shot, I don't even know when I shot a deer at 15 yards last was I know it was a long time ago.

Said a quiet tribute to picket for the great chess game we have played over the past 2 seasons and sadly my my season is done, even likely for gun I am done.

Scrappy selfie but gotta do what ya gotta do, ain't no setting way back on this pic. What a stud of a buck.
8dd15d86c07ae76acab4ca5aaff13623.jpg

Sent from my LGL58VL using Tapatalk

What a buck!congrats!get a weight?

I'm with the majority of you this year.  It's by far the most disappointing season ive had in 7 years.  I hunt two locations, one behind my house in 9A (3acres, the other 9P (24acres) my camp.  Behind my house is tough, its for an hour sit here and there.   Fortunately on Oct.3rd after sitting 40 minutes I took a mature doe.  I thought now camp awaits me.  My Bro and I take off nearly two weeks every year for the rut.  I saw 8 buck 6 doe.  Of the 8 buck, I passed 6 of them. The other 2 were out of range.  Here's the kicker, 5 of the 8 buck and 2 doe were seen on the 2nd day of the two week vacation.  I hunted 12 more days to see a deer here and there.  These are long days in the woods, a few dark to dark.  The rut was almost nonexistent or seemed to be in my area.  As Moog stated, "That's the way the cookie crumbles".  As a result of this, I've already sent a soil sample in to Whitetail Institute and my Bro and I are planning  3/4 acre hunting/food plot. 

25 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

Well...sitting this field edge this evening paid off...there are still deer here. 4 in the field and closest one is about 200 Yds away. No bucks chasing. I got 6 min of legal light left so I didn' t get skunked!

You've found them man stay put till morn!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Second day of vacation pretty slow. I did end up seeing one deer on watch a big doe at 420 but this is a no doe zone. Considering 7 hrs on watch not to good. I bumped one one the way in this morning and one on the way out of the morning sit but only got a glimpse of them. I hope things pick up!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Agree. Sometimes it's just luck of the draw. I had 24 sits between compound & xbow so far this year (counting mornings & afternoons separate), and only seen 1 shooter (too far for shot). Meanwhile my Dad kills a 2.5 y/o that I would have shot on just his 4th day out. That's why you can't take those opening morning kills for granted.

Opening day of gun season 2007 (back when I only hunted gun season), I shot a basket 8pt. I got it mounted. My Dad told me it would be the first of many 8pt's to come. 10 years later, I haven't shot one or even shot at one since.

Thanks for the jinx Dad 

• Like 2

Well for all the running around and barking he did..nothing. came my way...I did have 2 fawn show up no mom again..then coming home in near dark. I did a slow drag walk on way home. Round upper front fir s and here are 2 adult deer on the edge of oats...Lol figures.10 deer today most fawn.

I had 3 fawns around me for the last hour of light, one must've been a button because he was darting around, mule kicking and occasionally pestering the other fawns, fun to watch, I'm sure not all 3 of them will be alive by the weekends end.

I had 3 fawns around me for the last hour of light, one must've been a button because he was darting around, mule kicking and occasionally pestering the other fawns, fun to watch, I'm sure not all 3 of them will be alive by the weekends end.

Nope

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Saw a bunch of does in the hayfields tonight on my ride home from work in 4f. I might have to get my ars out tomorrow afternoon,i can't quite swallow a bowseason skunking yet.

Also i just looked at a buddies buck he shot in the adirondacks last weekend,a heavy 8 , 180#. Nice big deer. 

I am not picky at this point,any decent doe or still  a 2 1/2 yrar old buck are game.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Well said that about sums it up for my season this far too