Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

1 hour ago, silent death said:

There a little early

Funny you said that...15- 20 mins. Later it's bang bang bang bang...it goes on the whole time I'm packing to leave...then the whole time I'm checking cams ...It's the guy across the street  from the big field...next thing  I hear is his 4 wheeler start up and he is driving out back into his woods.. I'm in the big field trying not to spook a doe and twins on my way to read a cam card..after a while ...mind you it is now dark...I hear him drive back and see the garage light go on...  I get home and Mr B is now there and says what . The hell! ..  neighbor going a bit over board.. that's when  tell him what happened.. Mr sceptic.... says you should call the DEC... then says no... I said and what would they do...:mda:

Ps..BTW CAMS had 2 nice 8's(last night) and I saw that doe and twins 50 yrds. And a buck In upper plot.. all after hours and on the way hone...surprise!!!!! . :rolleyes:

Edited by growalot

I didnt see anything this morning or this evening I didnt hunt mid day. Seems the wind had then hunkered down or I was just in the wrong place . Oh well back at it in the morning. Better luck last day everyone.Looks like its going to be a good day. A little cooler and less windy tomorrow the safety goes off.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, growalot said:

Funny you said that...15- 20 mins. Later it's bang bang bang bang...it goes on the whole time I'm packing to leave...then the whole time I'm checking cams ...It's the guy across the street  from the big field...next thing  I hear is his 4 wheeler start up and he is driving out back into his woods.. I'm in the big field trying not to spook a doe and twins on my way to read a cam card..after a while ...mind you it is now dark...I hear him drive back and see the garage light go on...  I get home and Mr B is now there and says what . The hell! ..  neighbor going a bit over board.. that's when  tell him what happened.. Mr sceptic.... says you should call the DEC... then says no... I said and what would they do...:mda:

Ps..BTW CAMS had 2 nice 8's(last night) and I saw that doe and twins 50 yrds. And a buck In upper plot.. all after hours and on the way hone...surprise!!!!! . :rolleyes:

I’m going out on a limb and say your neighbor was just sighting in his gun. 

Half empty half full, know what I mean Vern???

I ended the night at 3 bucks, two half racks and a spike. After i let the first two go I told my self I'm shooting the next buck bigger than a spike... And then i let another walk. I'll be back there tomorrow, maybe it'll pay off with a better one, if not I'm shooting the next one!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

50 minutes ago, growalot said:

I just heard a shot now outside ..I am hoping it was a coyote getting blasted but highly doubtful

Wow! Let me tell you, today was a circus. The rut has hit full chase mode in two of my hunting areas. I spent the morning outside of New Berlin in 7m and before it was even light, the crashing and grunting started. Between daylight and noon, I saw at least 8 different bucks chasing does hard. It may have been more, but I am pretty sure I was seeing some of the same ones. During this time, the weather is good, then it is misting, then it is poring, then the sun is out. The wind was light to moderate.

A little after noon the skies darkened, and the wind picked up, and I decided to get off the hill and head over to Edmeston in 4f. Before I could make it to the car, the weather went to hell. It was sleeting so hard the ground was covered like snow, and wind was blowing hard, and gusting even harder.

I went drove over to one of the farms in Edmeston that has a pretty big gut in it with swamp and hemlocks. Even in the bad wind and weather, I saw deer out in the fields and crossing the road on my way there. I was going to sit in my car at the farm and let the wind die down, but I could see a buck running a doe in one of the pastures i had to cross.

I let them get in the woods, strapped my stand to my back, grabbed my bow and pack, and hustled my butt across the pasture and into the gut. The winds were still blowing hard enough that I ended up staying on the ground for another hour.

I saw at least another 5 bucks in this gut, with the quality a little better  but still nothing I wanted to shoot. But what a day! Nothing like being in the woods with a bow when the chase finally kicks in. I was dressed for the weather, and the only thing that got cold was my hands off and on when i had my bow in them. My eyes are dried out a little from the wind.

One more day, but I am struggling to get a big one to show up. That's why it is hunting. A state trooper friend of mine, got a nice one this morning. If the horns would have matched the body, it would have been a giant. I don't know if it will crack the 200 pound mark, but it will be close.

• Like 5

I am the same way about social media, a lady who owns big tract of land behind me did a background check on me apparently,  because "it was wierd that its so hard to find info on you" she figured I was running from something, due to no FB, etc etc...  I told her this would be the LAST place I would be if I was running away from the law....why ask for hunting permission if I was on the run.  Amazing. 
Im the same way.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well folks I guess I didn't know how true my statement of likely done hunting for the season was the other day.
On here just trying to take my mind off stuff. Brought Judy to rgh by amb. This morning she is now going in for an angiogram. I knew when I saw the EKG that she had a heart attack. Now its up to the dr. To find out how much damage and if its stents or bypass as the next step.

Good luck everyone the rest of the season.... May be reading more just to keep occupied.

Shoot straight and most of all enjoy every moment as tomorrows are never a guarentee.

Sent from my LGL58VL using Tapatalk

Prayers and best wishes realtime and Judy

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well, that's it for me for the archery season. Unfortunately did not bring home any venison. Movement and sightings were quite different this year then the past two. I did hit a deer a few days ago, well actually it bull rushed the side of my van, but it got up and ran off. I think this year was a lesson, deer can and will change movement patterns based on preferred food from year to year so always do your homework before the season starts. Managed to finally get a nice set of hawk helium climbing sticks for the last sit of the season to go with my xop hang on stand that I bought at the beginning of the year. Must say I look forward to using them more often.  Well on to gun. Good luck to everyone hunting tomorrow. Be safe. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, coonhunter said:

Wow! Let me tell you, today was a circus. The rut has hit full chase mode in two of my hunting areas. I spent the morning outside of New Berlin in 7m and before it was even light, the crashing and grunting started. Between daylight and noon, I saw at least 8 different bucks chasing does hard. It may have been more, but I am pretty sure I was seeing some of the same ones. During this time, the weather is good, then it is misting, then it is poring, then the sun is out. The wind was light to moderate.

A little after noon the skies darkened, and the wind picked up, and I decided to get off the hill and head over to Edmeston in 4f. Before I could make it to the car, the weather went to hell. It was sleeting so hard the ground was covered like snow, and wind was blowing hard, and gusting even harder.

I went drove over to one of the farms in Edmeston that has a pretty big gut in it with swamp and hemlocks. Even in the bad wind and weather, I saw deer out in the fields and crossing the road on my way there. I was going to sit in my car at the farm and let the wind die down, but I could see a buck running a doe in one of the pastures i had to cross.

I let them get in the woods, strapped my stand to my back, grabbed my bow and pack, and hustled my butt across the pasture and into the gut. The winds were still blowing hard enough that I ended up staying on the ground for another hour.

I saw at least another 5 bucks in this gut, with the quality a little better  but still nothing I wanted to shoot. But what a day! Nothing like being in the woods with a bow when the chase finally kicks in. I was dressed for the weather, and the only thing that got cold was my hands off and on when i had my bow in them. My eyes are dried out a little from the wind.

One more day, but I am struggling to get a big one to show up. That's why it is hunting. A state trooper friend of mine, got a nice one this morning. If the horns would have matched the body, it would have been a giant. I don't know if it will crack the 200 pound mark, but it will be close.

Hey,i am in 4 F as well,outside of Cooperstown. I have not seen anything like you have, that sounded great. I will go out again today to try and get a deer with the bow. Maybe they will chase here as well,one can only hope.

I have to shooy my muzzle loader today as well,got a different brand of bullets.

Good luck on this last day of archery!!