Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

All day in the woods and no action until a deer busted me packing up at the base of my tree stand.  Not 15 min later I cam hear a pack of yotes from my driveway yapping in the general vicinity of where I was sitting!

Disappointed that I didn't close the deal during xbow, but I am much wiser for it and the deer had better start running now for gun opener tomorrow!

27 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Going to try the old “ Indian squaws would give up the nook to the dedicated hunter “ the eve before a big hunt. Wife hasn’t fallen for it yet but at least it’s a tradition to try.  Wedding band , best form of birth control ever made   He he 

Car loaded. Just need to add the guns. Good luck to all tomorrow. Enjoy and be safe. 

Best of luck trying to "poke-a-hannas" and hunting tomorrow.  Keep safe too!

• Like 1

Live from the Williamsburg trip...home now and alarm set for 3:00 to make the drive to Columbia county for a sit with the boys up at camp already playing cards and slammin’ bourbon- I maybe the freshest one in the woods for the am hunt! Be safe shoot straight smile a lot!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So I had a 1 1/2  6 point come in the woods tonight and I grunted and used the can bleet as loud as I could to finally get  him to stop,  then stop again and change direction to me, he kept coming but not giving me a shot opportunity finally at 20 yards I put the crossbow hairs on him and in all the mayhem I must of breathed on the scope fogging it ,, so I come back out of position and bump the tree and he looks at me, then starts to move away quatering away I wipe the scope quick take aim and shoot,, immediately WHACK  at which point the crossbow about comes out of my hand LOL.... I knew what happened right away the linb whacked the tree..

What a way to end the string season :) oh well lets see what tomorrow brings..

Sorry the tree is sideways 

IMG_1490.JPG

• Sad 1

52 minutes ago, Bowshotmuzzleloader said:

So I had a 1 1/2  6 point come in the woods tonight and I grunted and used the can bleet as loud as I could to finally get  him to stop,  then stop again and change direction to me, he kept coming but not giving me a shot opportunity finally at 20 yards I put the crossbow hairs on him and in all the mayhem I must of breathed on the scope fogging it ,, so I come back out of position and bump the tree and he looks at me, then starts to move away quatering away I wipe the scope quick take aim and shoot,, immediately WHACK  at which point the crossbow about comes out of my hand LOL.... I knew what happened right away the linb whacked the tree..

What a way to end the string season :) oh well lets see what tomorrow brings..

Sorry the tree is sideways 

IMG_1490.JPG

Been there, done that! Happened to me last year on what would have been my biggest buck to date. 

Last sit  for the season.  I did a total of 31 sits. I spent 52 hrs. sitting in stands and couldn't tell ya how much scouting.

For bow season I saw a total of 75 deer.

23 were bucks

28 were does and 24 I could not tell.

I wasn't able to get any shots at anything decent and passed on the little ones.

I played  cat and mouse with two wall hangers and they won.

Except for the shots echoing around the area of guys sighting their guns between 3:00 & 4:30 it was a nice and quite day to end the season. I had four doe run by and stop broadside at 4:45 just as I was leaving after a 2 1/2 hr. sit. (Go figure)

I will go through the motions during gun season and enjoy my time in the woods and there is only 318 days til October first.

My Views today.:

IMG_20171117_143528[1].jpg

IMG_20171117_162321[1].jpg

Hope everyone has a successful gun season and short drags.. Shoot  straight and most of all BE SAFE :good:

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 3

Was a waiting and a waiting and a waiting ...no dice last of the season.  Had a great season, saw 8 different bucks, 3 real nice ones.

Shot a deer beginning of regular bow season.  All ready for the AM  hunt with the shotgun.  Hunt with a Rem. 1100 with hastings bbl.  Remington copper solids.  

Good luck to everybody and safe hunting!

20171117_155129.thumb.jpg.18d436f11feb99d22b6f7b79dd8fa6a4.jpg

17 minutes ago, halfnelson said:

Was a waiting and a waiting and a waiting ...no dice last of the season.  Had a great season, saw 8 different bucks, 3 real nice ones.

Shot a deer beginning of regular bow season.  All ready for the AM  hunt with the shotgun.  Hunt with a Rem. 1100 with hastings bbl.  Remington copper solids.  

Good luck to everybody and safe hunting!

20171117_155129.thumb.jpg.18d436f11feb99d22b6f7b79dd8fa6a4.jpg

Back in the day I  killed a pile of deer with my 870 and copper solids, that combo was extremely accurate out to 100 yards, at times it just didn’t seem fair. Now I use my 44 mag super redhawk... 

48 minutes ago, biggamefish said:

So when is the first shot going to go off tomorrow morning??  Good luck to all be safe and have fun.

Always look forward to the first shot  Boom, I look around and think I can’t see 30 feet. Then picture some dumb azz who  pulled his gun out from behind his seat , oops loaded and blows out dashboard 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Bowshotmuzzleloader said:

immediately WHACK  at which point the crossbow about comes out of my hand LOL.... I knew what happened right away the linb whacked the tree..

Had the same thing happen two years ago with my first xbow kill. The buck was startled but he came right back and gave me an even better shot. I Didnt make the same mistake twice.  

Edited by Urbancowboy
Add

1 hour ago, dlgerow said:

Drove 11 hours Thursday. Did some scouting and stand placement today. Alarm set for 4am. Love opening weekend in Sullivan County.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

What town Sullivan if its ok I ask? I live in 3K, and love seeing all the deer camps full of trucks on opening nights. 

I got out late,after 3 p.m. I was in my way to my spot on the ground when i saw movement. A nice shooter buck about 90 yds from me. He did not come in my direction and i snuck a little closer.  He went towards some does and started chasing them and keeping a spike horn at bay. I managed to sneak closer to the action and the buck found one doe he really liked. I had one deer between the buck and doe and me,a spike. The big buck was only 25 yds from the little one,so i had to get real close to the young one to try to get in bow range. Eventually the youngster picked me off and they all ran. I watched them all for a good 30 minutes though,was interesting. 10 minutes before sunset a big group of does came over the hill and i thought towards me,but they skirted me at 40 yds,the closest ones anyway. 

I have learned some and seen some cool things this bowseason,although ended up deerless. That buck hath better be more careful tomorrow when i have the muzzleloader in my hands,he would have been dead today if that was the case.

Good luck to all and stay warm!

• Like 1

Just got to camp, had a all day meeting on the south east coast of mass... it took almost 7 hours but I’m here.... gunna pass out soon,if I can. I’m always excited the night before the gun opener

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

i just finished getting last Friday's crossbow buck in the freezer.  That 2-1/2 year old meat felt like it was aged just about right after hanging 7 days of temps in the mid thirties.  I had to do it this evening because they are calling for low fifties tomorrow.   After that it looks like good aging temps again for a long stretch.  It is a pain skinning and processing on the same day, but I saved a little time by using zip-lock bags instead of vacuum sealing the grind.  Now I have plenty of room on the meat pole for tomorrow.

For you folks who do not age your venison, try looking up on google what the experts say about that if you do not believe.   You will not believe how much better it is if you allow the rigor mortis to break down before you freeze it.  

Yeah, it is now opening day.  Good luck to all of you later this morning.

Edited by wolc123